Hacking Nintendont

NoobletCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which one? Either worked fine.

It seems the gecko codes for GXSetCopyFilter work on Dolphin emulator, but not on Wii console (game randomly crashes; doesn't seem to work at all if code is placed inside "if" conditional for safety, indicating the memory mapping is different on Wii console vs Dolphin, which would explain the crashing).

Also the Gecko code for patching vfilter string 04041010100404 doesn't work on Dolphin despite Dolphin's debugger showing it at that address (0x802Ca07f)

I was curious about this...

Extrems said:
That function is in a zlib-compressed DOL that's part of the data section at 0x80200000. I have a proof-of-concept for patching this, but I haven't polished it enough yet.

Extrems

GameCube Wizard
Trophies
Website
www.extremscorner.org
XP
Country
Canada
It seems the gecko codes for GXSetCopyFilter work on Dolphin emulator, but not on Wii console (game randomly crashes; doesn't seem to work at all if code is placed inside "if" conditional for safety, indicating the memory mapping is different on Wii console vs Dolphin, which would explain the crashing).
You're likely just finding the physical backing for the virtual memory pages. These addresses will be random.
I did say they would be random.

Reactions: NoobletCheese

NoobletCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did say they would be random.

Ok, so the physical mem location of GXSetCopyFilter does in fact jump to different locations when moving between various areas in the game, so it doesn't look like GXSetCopyFilter will be patchable with Gecko code.

But the vfilter strings appear to remain at the same physical mem location, eg. 04041010100404 remains at 0x80ca07f regardless of what I do in-game.

And I just found the reason why my code was failing to patch it: I didn't set the mask correctly:

https://mkwii.com/showthread.php?tid=434 said:
16-bit If Equal Statements (Controller Lines)
Format of a 16-bit If Equal Statement
28XXXXXX YYYYZZZZ
If you are checking if a button value is AT LEAST being pressed,
you will need to do the following hex equation for YYYY:
YYYY = FFFF - ZZZZ

So with the above correction the cheat code should be:

282ca07f fbfb0404
062ca07f 00000007
00001516 15000000
e0000000 80008000

After making this correction, Dolphin shows the value did in fact get written to 0x80Ca07f:

gRytAv.png

However the filter is still active in-game!

So I'm thinking the game is setting vfilter before Gecko code handler gets a chance to modify it :(

If only there was a way to force the game to call GXSetCopyFilter again.

NoobletCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Breakthrough -- this code appears to be working on Wii hardware:

Code:
Rogue Squadron III NTSC

Disable vfilter
282ca07f fbfb0404
062ca07f 00000007
00001516 15000000
e0000000 80008000

I think the reason this only works on Wii hardware is that on Wii you get the "enable progressive?" prompt screen, which delays the game from calling GXSetCopyFilter until you respond with "yes", which gives Gecko enough time to write 00001516150000 to memory, before you select "yes" and then game sets it with the patched string.

Additional notes:

1. This is for Rogue Squadron III NTSC running in 480p only

2. The game has really long load times (up to 20 seconds) with Nintendont, regardless of whether cheat codes are used.

3. To use the cheat code:

a) Paste the code into a .txt file SD:\txtcodes\GLRE64.txt

b) In ULGX settings for the game, ocarina -> turn on -> "create" (this creates sd:\codes\glre64.gct which Nintendont will see and use). But I think there is something bugged with ULGX's creation of gct files... if you have issues, try manually deleting the gct file and creating it again, or create it manually at mkwii.com/gct/

c) In ULGX settings for the game -> ocarina: ON

edit: there is some sort of bug which sometimes causes the cheat code to not be applied. I can't figure out any logic to it yet.

@KungBore @Extrems

Last edited by NoobletCheese,

NoobletCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sd:\codes\glre64.gct which Nintendont will see and use

Can't get the code to work when launching the game from Nintendont's own GUI -- it only works when launching via ULGX.

I have tried "enable cheats" and "cheat path" in Nintendont's GUI. Any ideas?

Post 1 of this thread says many codes won't work due to some memory address differences, but that doesn't explain why launching Nintendont via ULGX successfully applies the code.

NoobletCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't get the code to work when launching the game from Nintendont's own GUI -- it only works when launching via ULGX.

I have tried "enable cheats" and "cheat path" in Nintendont's GUI. Any ideas?

Post 1 of this thread says many codes won't work due to some memory address differences, but that doesn't explain why launching Nintendont via ULGX successfully applies the code.

Ok figured this out... in Nintendont's GUI it asks you on launch to choose between SD or USB, and whichever one you choose that's where it reads the code path from. So copy the code to both SD:\codes and USB:\codes and it will work (and enable "cheats" and "cheat path" in Nintendont's GUI).

Somehow ULGX doesn't require this and is able to read the code from SD:\codes and tells Nintendont to use that one when launching a game from USB -- maybe that has something to do with why the code sometimes fails to apply when launching from ULGX?

In any case, for maximum reliability just copy the gct file to both drives, and also copy it to the game's own folder as well eg. USB:\games\RogueSquadron3\GLRE64.gct since Nintendont looks there as well.

NoobletCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@KungBore

This code seems to work reliably with ULGX...it's the same code but applied twice with both masks.

Code:
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III NTSC [GLRE64]

Disable vfilter 1
282ca07f fbfb0404
062ca07f 00000007
00001516 15000000
e0000000 80008000

Disable vfilter 2
282ca07f 00000404
062ca07f 00000007
00001516 15000000
e0000000 80008000

If it still fails to apply, try placing the attached files in

SD:\txtcodes\GLRE64.txt
SD:\codes\GLRE64.gct

(in case your .txt editor or the .gct creator didn't format them correctly)

And enable Ocarina in game's loader settings.

Attachments

• GLRE64.zip
    386 bytes · Views: 60
Last edited by NoobletCheese,
Reactions: Webardo and Maeson

UWUyamilUWU

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
alguien me ayuda intento jugar megaman X collection y primero corta la escena del logo de capcom y al entrar a cualquiera de los juegos se queda en pantalla negra,este juego lo probe en dolphin y va perfecto y con la escena de capcom y el aviso de cargando que jamas aparece en nintendont,ya probe distintas iso de diferentes fuentes y usb distintas y esta igual

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
alguien me ayuda intento jugar megaman X collection y primero corta la escena del logo de capcom y al entrar a cualquiera de los juegos se queda en pantalla negra,este juego lo probe en dolphin y va perfecto y con la escena de capcom y el aviso de cargando que jamas aparece en nintendont,ya probe distintas iso de diferentes fuentes y usb distintas y esta igual
take a picture of your nintendont settings, also make sure you use a full 1.35gb iso that matches redump md5, just because an iso works on dolphin doesnt mean it will work on nintendont, dolphin is an emulator nintendont is not.

UWUyamilUWU

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
tome una foto de su configuración de nintendont, también asegúrese de usar una iso completa de 1.35gb que coincida con redump md5, solo porque una iso funciona en dolphin no significa que funcionará en nintendont, dolphin es un emulador que nintendont no lo es.
El titulo lo probe con la Iso completa en 1.35 gb y la rom comprimida con Dmtoolbox y con ambas presenta el mismo error,aqui una captura de mis configuraciones

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-06 03-19-57.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-06 03-19-57.png
    738.4 KB · Views: 47

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
El titulo lo probe con la Iso completa en 1.35 gb y la rom comprimida con Dmtoolbox y con ambas presenta el mismo error,aqui una captura de mis configuraciones
you got alot of bad configs that can break games turn
force progressive to off
drive acess led to off
languague into auto
video width to auto/off
patch pal 50 off

this settings can break games and not every game is compatible with them turn them all off then enable one by one to see which one is breaking the game.

Reactions: ca032769

UWUyamilUWU

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Tienes muchas configuraciones malas que pueden romper los juegos.
forzar progresivo a apagado
acceso de conducción conducido a apagado
lenguaje en auto
ancho de video a automático / apagado
parche pal 50 apagado

esta configuración puede romper juegos y no todos los juegos son compatibles con ellos, apáguelos todos y luego habilítelos uno por uno para ver cuál está rompiendo el juego.
Muchas Gracias hermano probare y te diré si funciona, gracias por ayudarme

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No funciono hermano TwT
you have 2 options
1- you are using a bad iso that doesnt match redump md5

or
you have an incompatible tv

Megaman X Collection (gamecube) only plays in 240p during gameplay​

if your tv does not support 240p megaman x collection will not play due to the resolution not being supported by your tv, there is nothing that can be done since that is the resolution the game does, and if your tv doesnt support it try on another one.

Reactions: ca032769

delukard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
hi guys i own metroid prime 1-2 disks but my gamecube is done.

i realized i can play them on my wiiu.

i used usbhelper to do this.

but metroid prime crashes after some time (less then a minute)

are there any settings i should try?

forgot to also ask, can nintendont games be played with wii classic control, wiiu control, wiiu gamepad? or do i have to use a gamecube control?

Last edited by delukard,

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi guys i own metroid prime 1-2 disks but my gamecube is done.

i realized i can play them on my wiiu.

i used usbhelper to do this.

but metroid prime crashes after some time (less then a minute)

are there any settings i should try?

forgot to also ask, can nintendont games be played with wii classic control, wiiu control, wiiu gamepad? or do i have to use a gamecube control?
I would try loading the ISO from Nintendont directly first to make sure that UsbHelper isn't doing anything wonky. Also verify the MD5 hash of each ISO that's on the storage where Nintendont is loading the ISOs from.

This site has verify MD5 hash values for verified working ISOs: http://redump.org/discs/system/gc/letter/m/

Nintendont can use the Wii Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro and Wii U Pro Controller. The Wii U Gamepad can be used if Nintendont is launched through a Wii VC Injection.

delukard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I would try loading the ISO from Nintendont directly first to make sure that UsbHelper isn't doing anything wonky. Also verify the MD5 hash of each ISO that's on the storage where Nintendont is loading the ISOs from.

This site has verify MD5 hash values for verified working ISOs: http://redump.org/discs/system/gc/letter/m/

Nintendont can use the Wii Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro and Wii U Pro Controller. The Wii U Gamepad can be used if Nintendont is launched through a Wii VC Injection.
ty vm!
do i need to have another drive for gamecube games by using the nintendont app? instead of usbdownloader injecting the game to sd?
i dont mind at all i have a lot of usbs.

OHH WOW. i just realized that nintendont is for Vwiiu? i dont have that on my wiiu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Imagine putting your butt near it :tpi: