Hacking Nintendont

GreyRogue

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good Job guys; fine steps in the right direction.
I would like to point out a small issue; I think (please confirm) in-game WaveBird functionality has been broken in r39, even when HID is off and no USB device is connected. This may have happen after combining Nintendont with Nintendontusb source. I ran into the same problem with Nintendontusb Beta7 through r4, so I think this may be where the issue stems from. Wired GameCube controllers seem to work fine in all GameCube slots, and the sound issues have almost disappeared, which is sweet music to my ears.
Did Wavebird work in r38? I don't have a wavebird to test. The only change that I see that might affect it is this in HID.c
Code:
        if((Pad[chan].button&0x80) != 0x80)
        {
            memset32(Pad + chan * sizeof(PADStatus) , 0, sizeof(PADStatus));
            Pad[chan].err = -1;
            continue;
        }

I don't know why the Wavebird wouldn't be reporting PAD_USE_ORIGIN (0x80), though. Dolphin has the DK bongos with that false. If that really is the case, I guess we could skip the check for chan == 0.
Maybe the better method is to check SISR (0x0D806438) for no response.

rypaul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am here to report something that I keep experiencing in the hopes it helps the
developers. To make a long story short I have been testing Mario Sunshine alot
and I noticed that if I used the select button on the PS3 controller to exit
nintendont each consecutive time I run nintendont and Mario the game gets
more and more unstable even showing corrupt textures. To avoid this I have to
power down my WiiU. So my thought is that there is some section of memory that
is not being flushed on run/exit which eventually makes Mario unusable without
a complete shutdown. I have no other games to test so I don't know what would
happen with other games.
Hopefully this issue is just something I am doing wrong.
Good luck guys

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
With r40, you said the nincfg is "probably" read from the device where the .dol is located.
But what about the memory card?

If the loader located on SD creates and checks the memorycard presence before launching a game on USB, the kernel will then mounts USB but will not find mcemu anymore.

Either you add the drive's partition to all path (sd:, usb1: to usb8: ) so it can save to SD while loading game from usb, or I think the two dol used by r39 was a good idea.

Do you have another idea to make it work correctly with loaders autobooting games?

GreyRogue

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With r40, you said the nincfg is "probably" read from the device where the .dol is located.
But what about the memory card?

If the loader located on SD creates and checks the memorycard presence before launching a game on USB, the kernel will then mounts USB but will not find mcemu anymore.

Either you add the drive's partition to all path (sd:, usb1: to usb8: ) so it can save to SD while loading game from usb, or I think the two dol used by r39 was a good idea.

Do you have another idea to make it work correctly with loaders autobooting games?

I haven't actually tried it, but I didn't think it would be a problem. I think the memory card is created, read, and written in the kernel, not the loader.. As each kernel only has access to one of sd or usb, it should be using the right one. The only access that I wasn't sure of is the first access to nincfg.bin. After that, if it reads autoboot it will use the sd or usb for all access based on the value in the nincfg.bin in the same location. I did just try it with both an SD card and a USB drive in place (Fast way to tell: nincfg on sd has NIN_CFG_USB false, on usb true with AutoBoot false on both; whichever is defaulted between SD and USB when Nintendont starts is the one it loaded). It loads the nincfg.bin from whichever device it was launched from (at least from HBC).

Of course this is the wrong way to do this anyway. Writing a config file causes unnecessary write cycles on hardware. Passing values in through memory would be better.

gig71

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Maybe I'm wrong, but I mean if it is supported wii or wiiU language detection in nintendont(or planned).
Cause I tried mariokart DD on my Italian wii( usb hdd) and it works very well but in english language !

BTW thanks !

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
After a lot of headaches and stuff trying to get nintendont to run because it gave me a "Can't find FAT device.." or something, i'm almost ready to give up. I was finally able to launch it and it created the nincfg.bin but then it'd just get a black screen instead of loading the Wind Waker iso, same thing happened with Twilight Princess (both were on a FAT32 formatted USB Thumb drive). In the end, i did a backup of my SD card contents and tried using Nintendont with an iso of Yugi-Oh The Falsebound Kingdom (shrinked so it could fit in my 1Gb sd-card, but i doubt it affected the results) and it didn't work either. Now I'm almost sure that this must be a problem with my wii or with the app itself, because i can't neither open the settings with the B button, nor can I launch any of the three games i've tested. I'm using the latest r40, but i did try with usb r39.. So i don't know what else i could try.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
the app doesnt have the problem because everyone can uses it and its the same download, you should only be able to open the setting on the r40 after you choose sd or usb so the problem is on your end maybe the flash drive doesnt get enough power or something?

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I see, I didn't know the settings couldn't be open till i chose one of the options. However both the SD card and the USB are formatted as FAT32, and the file structure is correct, i even simplified it to "sd:/games/yugi/game.iso" and all it shows is the name of the game for a split second and then just a black screen, and the games on the USB only give me the FAT not found error. Both the drive and the sdcard are too small to try other games so I'm stuck until i can buy an HDD..

If the problem is really on my end (which i can accept, that's why i said before that maybe my wii is at fault) i'd appreciate any hint on where to look.

EDIT: Just in case, I'm aware some of the games do get a black screen when loaded, but the Zeldas are marked as working fine in the compatibility table, that's why i picked those to try this, but are way too big to try them on the sdcard.

ALSINJAN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried Nintendont r40 in Wii Classic with SD in front slot (2Gb) and USB in port 0 (8 Gb) with the game "Mario Kart Double Dash (PAL)", and the selection of device works perfectly, even with both devices connected simultaneously (my favorite combination: SD>Nintendont, USB>games).
However observe an increase in crashes when the game is run from USB.
Great job!.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how do you boot games from usb when you launch Nintendont from sd? I always get no games found. I have to remove my sd card and boot Nintendont from my usb drive to find the games.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Question, I've not fowolled Nintendon't progress so someonw would help me, does Nintendon't have support with GCN controllers, or Wii Classic Controller yet?
Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F