Hacking Nintendont

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has little to do with DSP patches for Nintendont. It means that Devolution's RAW kernel has been dumped. If somebody takes bytes 0x3200000-0x3219A9F of crediar's dump, makes a loader that puts it at 0xB3200000 in the Wii's RAM, passes arguments to it properly and launches it, Devolution no longer has DRM (or if it does, it can probably be bypassed with a simple branch command since all the encryption garbage is gone).

(That is a lot more likely and probably easier than gleaning any DSP patch/other useful code).

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
With my classic controller to usb adapter, I keep getting error -3 when trying to boot a game.
Anyone else have this problem, and how can I fix the controller.ini so it boots up into a game, since it has two ports in it?

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has little to do with DSP patches for Nintendont. It means that Devolution's RAW kernel has been dumped. If somebody takes bytes 0x3200000-0x3219A9F of crediar's dump, makes a loader that puts it at 0xB3200000 in the Wii's RAM, passes arguments to it properly and launches it, Devolution no longer has DRM (or if it does, it can probably be bypassed with a simple branch command since all the encryption garbage is gone).

(That is a lot more likely and probably easier than gleaning any DSP patch/other useful code).
So, just a simple redirection then?

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Looked like from earlier posts that the intention was to get game patches not break DRM , but I'm not schooled in that

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With my classic controller to usb adapter, I keep getting error -3 when trying to boot a game.
Anyone else have this problem, and how can I fix the controller.ini so it boots up into a game, since it has two ports in it?
Wii U? First, make sure you've got HID on in the Nintendont settings, second, use the HIDtest app and fix your controller.ini as per the instructions found in its readme... I've only just started using this and also got the -3 at first.. I was originally using a PS1-usb adaptor and just assumed the values are the same as ps2 :lol:

Speaking of which: Nintendo Puzzle Collection, both .iso and compressed just give a black screen (and my disc is too old/scratched to be used in Devo *weeps* )

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
Wii U? First, make sure you've got HID on in the Nintendont settings, second, use the HIDtest app and fix your controller.ini as per the instructions found in its readme... I've only just started using this and also got the -3 at first.. I was originally using a PS1-usb adaptor and just assumed the values are the same as ps2 :lol:

Speaking of which: Nintendo Puzzle Collection, both .iso and compressed just give a black screen (and my disc is too old/scratched to be used in Devo *weeps* )

Thank you.
Hidtest was saying that the VID and PID in the controller.ini was not the same as the one with my adapter, "the configuration is not for this device" confused me.

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More information: Apparently 0xB3200000 is a valid address on a Wii U devkit's vWii. I'd wager that a prefix of 0x8, 0x9, 0xC, or 0xD instead of 0xB would probably work. I do not know much about Wii development, but if anyone knows how to allocate memory/load stuff into it, PM me and I'll send the extracted kernel.
Also, r197 will probably work on the Wii U because the DRM was really the only thing preventing it (that and the fact that crediar probably got it to load). Only other thing missing from r197 is PS3 controller support, so Wii U users can only use a classic controller and equivalent.

pedrobarca

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
More information: Apparently 0xB3200000 is a valid address on a Wii U devkit's vWii. I'd wager that a prefix of 0x8, 0x9, 0xC, or 0xD instead of 0xB would probably work. I do not know much about Wii development, but if anyone knows how to allocate memory/load stuff into it, PM me and I'll send the extracted kernel.
Also, r197 will probably work on the Wii U because the DRM was really the only thing preventing it (that and the fact that crediar probably got it to load). Only other thing missing from r197 is PS3 controller support, so Wii U users can only use a classic controller and equivalent.

What do you mean with "extracted kernel"?

pedrobarca

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Bytes 0x3200000 to 0x3219A9F of crediar's ram dump. Loaded properly (should) = no DRM.
crediars MEM2 dump is around 16 MB, devos loader.bin is only 95 KB. So there's a lot of crap in this dump, which isn't needed. Further, if the loader got loaded into MEM2, why should the DRM be disabled?

Propably your right with your theory, cause honestly I don't have the knowledge to understand how all this works.

Concerning your question: I would recommand to ask crediar himself. Either per PM or per IRC.

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
crediars MEM2 dump is around 16 MB, devos loader.bin is only 95 KB. So there's a lot of crap in this dump, which isn't needed. Further, if the loader got loaded into MEM2, why should the DRM be disabled?
For the size, that's why I said devolution is between bytes 0x3200000 to 0x3219A9F inclusive (~102KB) in the MEM2 dump. This is the raw loader, the thing that actually runs GameCube games so there is a lot less of this: http://imageshack.us/a/img96/6462/wupe.png
If the DRM is still in the kernel and not just loader.bin, it can probably be disabled with a single b(ranch) command. Same with any possible checksums.

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
Exciting conceptual news here. Either way hints & clues have been given. We'll have to wait until capable coders can pick up the pieces and do the rest. I don't care what happens with the DRM from Devo, as long as the info is there to help Nintendont become a better and more complete program, it's good enough for me.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exciting conceptual news here. Either way hints & clues have been given. We'll have to wait until capable coders can pick up the pieces and do the rest. I don't care what happens with the DRM from Devo, as long as the info is there to help Nintendont become a better and more complete program, it's good enough for me.

Nintendont definitely has tremendous potential and is becoming a more awesome and stable program as time goes on. And like you said, so long as this information benefits it (as in more DSP fixes, compatibility), I'm all for it :D

Reactions: MassiveRican

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
Because why bother learning things for yourself when you can just take other people's work, right?

i think tbh its a little naughty to take it apart. BUT nintendont is going to take ages and for the wii u owners (me) ide like to play some gamecube games with a working memory card /controller/ and without the games freezing at random points. why go and make something that has now been done twice already is the question?? this just saves anymore time

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ALcfGYLXcjQ?si=ePdtM6b0p5sWaxof