Nintendo Switch Sells 10 Million Worldwide

Nintendo Switch Sells 10 Million Worldwide
Nintendo’s Video Game System Passes Major Milestone in Just Nine Months

Despite launching in March, a month not usually reserved for home console launches, and with the busy holiday shopping season still in full swing, the Nintendo Switch system has already sold 10 million units to consumers around the world, according to Nintendo’s internal sales figures.

NintendoSwitch_hardware_boxart_02.jpg

Full PR:
Nintendo Switch is a home console that can be played on a TV, and also taken instantly on the go – it lets people play their favorite games anytime, anywhere and with anyone. And since every Nintendo Switch system comes bundled with two Joy-Con controllers, players can easily share the fun of compatible multiplayer games with friends and family right out of the box.

The robust and diverse library on Nintendo Switch features two of the most acclaimed video games of all time in Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. At The Game Awards last week in Los Angeles, Super Mario Odyssey won the award for Best Family Game. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was honored with the awards for Game of the Year, Best Action/Adventure Game and Best Game Direction.

Nintendo Switch is also home to fun multiplayer games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and ARMS that can be played online or with friends and family in the same room, as well as an ever-growing list of great third-party games like Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, FIFA 18, Rocket League, L.A. Noire, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Golf Story and Stardew Valley, Nintendo Switch is truly for any player.

“As you can see in people’s living rooms, on a plane or riding the subway, fans all over the world can enjoy playing Nintendo Switch wherever they go,” said Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime. “The response from fans has been great, and we’re doing our very best to satisfy demand during the holiday shopping season.”

After a record-breaking 2017, Nintendo Switch will continue its momentum in 2018. The system will see the launch of Nintendo-published games like Kirby Star Allies, Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2 and a new game in the beloved Yoshi franchise, in addition to big third-party games like Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus from Bethesda, Mega Man 11 from Capcom, PROJECT OCTOPATH TRAVELER (working title) from Square Enix, Shovel Knight: King of Cards from Yacht Club Games and Runner 3 from Choice Provisions.

Nintendo Switch hits 10 million sales worldwide since its launch on 3rd March 2017, with a range of award-winning games including The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey already available, with plenty more experiences to come in 2018.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well well well.
10 million.

Not bad Nintendo, not bad.

How many of those 10 million are actually in use?
Unlike the Wii and Wii U, which sat on the shelves of families, gathering dust.
Mostly the Wii.
I disagree, Wii got a lot of use throughout its lifetime, even if most of its playtime worldwide was probably spent in Bowling.

Reactions: DarthDub

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Wii Sports in general was fun and well-made. It even came free with the system, didn't it?
That it did. Wii Sports Resort came as well, after the MotionPlus remotes. Amazing freebie.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That it did. Wii Sports Resort came as well, after the MotionPlus remotes. Amazing freebie.
It's easy to look down on Wii now, of course it sits on shelves, it's long retired. People still emulate it though, and it's still got some great titles. Galaxy 1/2, Xenoblade Chronicles, No More Heroes, an Okami port, Zelda games, etc. When it became easily hackable and could play all your Wii/GCN roms, that was just icing on the cake.

Perhaps even more importantly, Nintendo did something different at a time when the other consoles were stagnating. People enjoy light gun games at arcades, of course they'd enjoy a motion control console for some things. Without Wii we wouldn't have more advanced technologies like Vive sub-millimeter motion controllers.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
good that the switch is selling well, but we have seen nintendo consoles sell well in the past, people dont be fooled that this means they support nintendo.

its ok having 10m units sold, if a third party releases a game and it sells less than it does on other systems, theyll abandon it like they have done in the past.

also thing with nintendo is yes it manages to be off to a good start, but its unable to keep the momentum going, its like its off to a good start, sprinting ahead, but its slows down.

at least the other systems keep a decent momentum going.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
you can add a +1 to that.

Gave in to the switch hype. I saw a patient playing one whilst sat in bed. Went back to the mess and played on my peasantly PS VITA and thought F this.

For me even WITHOUt third party support, the switch is still a massive win now that Nintendo will consolidate their first party efforts from the 3DS and Wii U/Wii onto one format.

Third party support is the icing on the cake from a Switch standpoint for me.. aka playing great third party titles in a portable format.

However I've bought a switch for Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Mario Tennis in portable formats. Being able to play it with family or collagues at any given time is a HUGE plus for me.

Also night shifts this thing will be a god send on quieter work days.

Last edited by aofelix,
Reactions: Xzi

Xathya

residence aparents trols of temps
Banned
Trophies
Website
knucklestheechidna.com
XP
Country
Australia
wow very hapy to hear my boys at nintendo doing the good jobs.! even thoug pc is always furtu and always bester swicht is the col when it comes to the consolers so is cool but also need more imrpvnet.
i personal look forward to more animes games. would like to see the neps on swicht with the very cute girls :DD

ohs! and the more knuckle game is need..!

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Pride comes before the fall. I want to see the Switch become a huge success like it is now.
I think Switch probably will beat 3DS sales now that their portable and their home console is one device. That won't be the only reason, but that will be a huge boon to Switch's game library in the long-term.

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By that logic, my pants are a device. My [ censored ] is a device. My keys are a device. Your mom is a device. :wtf:

It is a poor descriptor and just irks of "speaking much without saying a damn thing." They are nebulous, intentionally vague, and only serve to confuse and misdirect. Little wonder so many marketers use it religiously.:angry:

Device: a thing made or adapted for a particular purpose, especially a piece of mechanical or electronic equipment.

Videogame consoles are exactly that, they are electronics that have been made for a particular purpose (play videogames)...

I don't think your [beep] and my mom are mechanical/electronical equipments adapted for a specific reason tho :unsure:

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo are also in an amazing position.

MS have no exclusives or portable experience.
Sony were burnt by the Vita and seem averse to any risk. They seem to have found their comfort zone with home consoles.

It really leaves a HUGE monopoly on portable gaming for the next decade or so. Introducing the Switch to the target audience of 20-30 should also hopefully grab back a few people who might be playing on android/IOS devices... and part of that will be Pokemon! a HUGE nostalgia remember-berry.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kudos to the Switch, well deserved. Shame the Wii U was handled so poorly all around. It had some great ideas, execution though of almost everything with the system including even its name just doomed the thing.

Reactions: Xzi

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
good that the switch is selling well, but we have seen nintendo consoles sell well in the past, people dont be fooled that this means they support nintendo.

its ok having 10m units sold, if a third party releases a game and it sells less than it does on other systems, theyll abandon it like they have done in the past.

also thing with nintendo is yes it manages to be off to a good start, but its unable to keep the momentum going, its like its off to a good start, sprinting ahead, but its slows down.

sm7_facepalm.gif

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

in short, you say nintendo sucks
and yet, your avatar is nintendo product

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
I think the big edge a Switch has is once its in the wild, it advertises itself.

An XBOX one and a PS4 all are home consoles but switches have the potential to be everywhere. Even I just saw one and bought it today cos I saw someone in work with it. That exposure is insane.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Switch probably will beat 3DS sales now that their portable and their home console is one device. That won't be the only reason, but that will be a huge boon to Switch's game library in the long-term.
I can see that happening. Some may worry about some portable owners not wanting to pay $60 per game, but there are a lot of good games for $40 and under. Largely due to indies, but also games like Sonic Mania coming out.

It would also help once more 3DS and Vita devs move over to the Switch.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can see that happening. Some may worry about some portable owners not wanting to pay $60 per game, but there are a lot of good games for $40 and under. Largely due to indies, but also games like Sonic Mania coming out.

It would also help once more 3DS and Vita devs move over to the Switch.
idk why people are complaining for a game sold at 60$
thats the price im ready to pay for a good game, but here in canada, because or the currency rate, they are 80$
33% more expansive and makes me hesitate a lot before buying a game

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.