1. 7,035

Front-page

It's been a while since we last got some classic retro titles added to the Nintendo Switch Online library. Next week, subscribers will see four new-old games added to the service, three Super Nintendo games and one original Nintendo Entertainment System game. On the NES front, you've got Rygar, a 1987 sidescrolling platformer, while the SNES lineup includes Wild Guns, Panel de Pon, and Operation Logic Bomb. These games will be available to play on May 20th.

2. Discussion (100 replies)

3. SexySpai

SexySpai i dont know

United States
    another 20 bucks down the shitter

4. Stealphie

Stealphie GBAtemp's Favorite Last Year's User

Brazil
    nintendo just give us a virtual console already

5. Costello

Costello Headmaster
    Administrator

Nintendo's games of may 2020: a couple of unknown NES and SNES games
    while Sony gives away AAA games like Uncharted 4 and whatnot
    is getting a bit ridiculous to be honest

6. Seriel

Seriel lost in the wind, trying to find a purpose

United Kingdom
    Xbox too, games that have only just released (Or not even!) are added to Game Pass and it has tremendous value for even its full price. Quite how Nintendo thinks these offerings are okay is more than a little baffling.

7. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    Wild Guns? Why would I play the original when I can get the Reloaded version. This would be like putting The Ninja Warriors Again up on the service when you have The Ninja Saviors version!

Nintendo, you have to do a better job of convincing me why I don't need another Switch for homebrew! ;)

Zense and Kwyjor like this.
  8. MeAndHax

MeAndHax Impolite person wtih some modding knowledge.

Germany
    they won't because they have licenses on their games and they don't want to give you anything for free

actually Nintendo Switch Online only lends you the games but as soon as you don't pay your licenses are gone, you never acquired those games and they're not for you to keep. They will bring that up now in every new console they will bring on the market - I can bet that.

Just a money making strategy

Okay but why compare a 60€ online service to a 20€ online service that hasn't even been out for 3 years?

9. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

United States
    Can't we sue Nintendo for renigging on the games they promised us every month as yearly subscribers?

Because I'm not getting all the services I'm paying for.

Last edited by Jayro, May 15, 2020
    Subtle Demise, yoyoyo69 and Attila13 like this.
  10. smellyunicorn

smellyunicorn GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If Epic Games and Microsoft can backup whatever truck of money to get AAA games for free or included in their subscription to its users. The least Nintendo can do is add games they know people want. There was Zero demand for these titles, everyone wants Virtual Console, N64, GC, etc. It's one thing to not listen to your consumer base but to give them what they don't want is insulting. At some point 20 bucks a year doesn't even seem worth it. (Also Nintendo can easily add whatever 1st party title they want to the subscription service like Microsoft did with GamePass there's no excuses for the Switch Online stuff to look like it does)

11. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Nintendo does what others don't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yoyoyo69 likes this.
  12. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i was hyped until i saw nes and snes
    no one even knows the new games theyre adding, at least add earthbound or some other system seller
    or better yet, be normal and actually add virtual console
    why did iwata have to die- back when he was still alive nintendo had online services that could actually compete with other consoles
    now the new jackass running the company is making the most retarded decisions ever

13. Stealphie

Stealphie GBAtemp's Favorite Last Year's User

Brazil
    Just because it's 20 bucks doesn't mean it can't be as good as a 60$ service. Heck, an actually GOOD 60$ service for the Switch would be way better than this half assed 20$ one.

Amadren and Silent_Gunner like this.
  14. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Indonesia
    oh nintendo, please just give the world the official release of genealogy of holy war and thracia 776 already

15. zerofalcon

zerofalcon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oh wow, again games no one was asking for... :mellow:

Extrasklep and Attila13 like this.
  16. Chary

OP Chary Never sleeps.
    Senior Editor

United States
    Nintendo knows its audience though, and that's an audience who will willingly pay scalpers $400 for ring fit adventure or some random amiibo. Their games never drop in price, whereas Uncharted was already about $10 on sale in the US physically. I'm not defending them at all, mind, but Nintendo is a weird case in which they can basically laugh at the thought of AAA monthly free games. Especially when NSO is 1/3 the yearly cost.

17. James_

James_ - ̗̀New ̖́- GBAtemp Meowstic XL

United Kingdom
    At least we got Panel de Pon.

18. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    To be fair, PSN is also three times the price. All I really want out of Nintendo's service is dedicated servers to feel like I'm getting my money's worth. I couldn't care less about the "free" games offered by either service because those are given out all the time on PC without the need to pay a monthly/yearly subscription cost. In that sense, at least Nintendo is offering something a little more unique with retro games, though they can of course be emulated.

Silent_Gunner and Chary like this.
  19. IsaOfTheWorlds

Newcomer

United States
    Oh boy! Now I can play the worst version of Rygar and count the pixels on my Switch screen at the same time! :D

Subtle Demise and Bladexdsl like this.
  20. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Mexico
    Another month of being a happy RetroArch Switch user, and ever happier for not giving Nintenshit money for this absurd farse of a rental system since you don't own shit anymore.

No thanks, N, you can fuck off, talk to me when you offer us a one-and-done purchase service for retro ROMs so we own them for life ala Steam.

Last edited by ShadowOne333, May 15, 2020
  21. Nerdtendo

Nerdtendo Your friendly neighborhood idiot

United States
    NO. ONE. CARES. Seriously. 2 crappy games every 6 months?? I'm pretty sure the last update we got was november

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Nintendo, revealed, Switch