Nintendo Switch 2 announced by Nintendo

​


After months of countless leaks, Nintendo has finally lifted the curtain on the highly anticipated successor to the Nintendo Switch.

In a short teaser trailer we are given a brief look the new system unsurprisingly titled the Nintendo Switch 2. We also get a glimpse at a new Mario Kart game running on the system and confirmation of backwards compatilbility with Nintendo Switch software and game cards.

We also see the new joycons being pushed along like a traditional computer mouse, further fueling the rumor that the joycons will support a "mouse mode".

switch2 (1).pngswitch2 (2).pngswitch2 (3).pngswitch2 (4).pngswitch2 (5).pngswitch2 (6).pngswitch2 (7).pngswitch2 (8).pngswitch2 (9).pngswitch2 (10).png


Alongside the new trailer, a Nintendo Direct focused on Switch 2 has also been announced for April 2nd.

:arrow: Nintendo announcement

We have also opened our Nintendo Switch 2 discussion forums at the link below for all future discussion for Nintendo's newest system!

:arrow: Nintendo Switch 2 discussion forums
 
and there you have it they couldn't even be fucked making something new. they did exactly what sony did with the ps5 pro. what an absolute fucking joke and i was right from the very start. don't ever doubt me again!
For once I kinda agree with you (less vehemently tho 😄), still hope that a couple new things will be unveiled next month, but it feels like a revamped version of the Switch, and last time they tried to do that with the Wii U it didn't go well...
 
I mean this is most likely the new sharp LCD which the newer tech can match blacks to the oled like what the PS Portal uses, it has more pop in color too it's not your 2013 tech model that was in Switch 1
In that case I would need to see it myself first. I'm so spoiled by the OLED in the Steam Deck. I remember comparing it with my regular Steam Deck model and there were worlds in between.
 
The entire community of Nintendo called it the Switch 2. Literally everyone called it that. Why complain now? Are you guys seriously finding something to complain about?

The only good thing that happened was the leaks cause everyone knew that it was coming today and that they inherently gotten the magic of the console reveal (and potentially the specs) left out of it.

Still be happy that everything new for it and emulation is arising though, i cant wait to potentially see the scene find some day 1 mods to the console to see the true capabillities of the new system.
I'm not complaining... I was just surprised, never stated it was a "bad thing".
I'm hoping it's just an eShop thing and not a cartridge game thing.
I think it's for digital and cartridge, as the same thing happened to the PS5, with 6 games not working for some reason (the list is in the official PS website), and maybe Labo too, as the accessories won't fit.
 
I've heard before that Ryujinx and Yuzu were murdered because of the Switch successor.
I guess that hypothesis is right, now.

The emulators probably wouldn't be able to run Switch 2 games properly, but if they were still active it'd make Switch 2 piracy (in N's eyes) easier.
I wonder how different Switch 2 game architecture will be, compared to Switch 1? I don't know jack shit about this, but the successor is natively backwards-compatible, so it has to be at least somewhat similar...
 
The name isn't the only reason, it's the years of Nintendo shifting more in the direction closer to Sony/Microsoft and shifting away from what made Nintendo different from them. Nintendo has gone so deep into becoming Corpo, that they aren't Nintendo anymore. The fact that they went so far as to lazily name their new system the "Switch 2" just makes the depressing reality sink in more.
If you were Nintendo what would you do?
 
Nintendo Switch 1.5...

A really safe move from big N, it's a big disappointment to me.
The Hybrid market is already saturated, which they should have foreseen.

How is it saturated? Aside from the Switch, there's nothing as plug and play on the same scale.
I am not including handheld PC's because they do not count, they are not a console in the same sense nor do they support physical media. Not to mention how "small" the actual percentage of people that use them really is.

I personally prefer dedicated handheld, but if it can be a hybrid as well, I'm not complaining.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ChronosNotashi
I imagine they're concerned about another Wii U debacle where nobody realised it is actually a new console. Switch 2 perfectly demonstrates that and (maybe) will keep some of the success of the Switch going
It does the job, but it's just not Nintendo. They didn't need to keep the Switch name or at least didn't need to just slap a "2" on there and call it a day. That's just not the Nintendo way.
 
I'm a bit late to the party here, but I'm going to call this a neutral-to-positive reveal.

The iterative model and naming are safe moves, but we knew that going into it.

Magnetic Joy-Cons are neat. I doubt they'll keep the Joy-Con name to avoid confusion, so I'm interested in seeing what they go with instead. Mag-con? Joy-Con 2?

The form factor and mouse feature seem nice. I'm curious to see how much usage the mouse thing actually gets from developers though.

New Mario Kart is huge. I loved the DLC tracks in 8D, but a new set of mechanics will be fun to explore.

My big concern is the price. This release schedule has really felt like forever. The NS1 is going to be eight years old before the NS2 even gets a Direct. The longer this goes on, the less relevant the (already-suspected-to-be-dated) hardware gets. Without a huge gimmick to riff off of, the sell is going to be better/bigger games, which is a space already crowded by other handhelds. Combine that with the fact that the NS1 has a *deep* library that most people have barely scratched and you might have a hard time convincing the casual base to upgrade. Ultimately, my opinion is that undercutting the competition (potentially even by aggressively subsidizing the hardware) is going to be the best way to make this thing go parabolic. Hopefully the amount of R&D/prep time that Nintendo has had will help make that happen.
 
It looks almost exactly like the og switch and what are the specs they havent shown shit.

They probably didn't want to announce anything yet but were forced to because of all the leaks. It was always gonna be a slightly upgraded version of the previous model, that's just how things are these days.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ChronosNotashi
I'm cooling down from excitement. Do you think it'll still use Horizon OS? Will it use an entirely new (hopefully faster) eShop? Will we finally get themes??
I think that there's a 99% chance that it's still going to use HorizonOS - while it would be amazing to see a HOME menu with a bit more soul and thought put into it, Nintendo's likely going to want to use the OS they already developed from scratch and just build on top of it.
 

Site & Scene News