Nintendo ranks last yet again in Greenpeace's Guide to Greener

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by soulx, Jan 9, 2010.

1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    [​IMG]

They probably just got this rating because Nintendo didn't disclose much to Greenpeace.

Source

2. asdf

Member asdf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Jesus, Nintendo. At least try to make your systems better for the environment.

3. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Yup. It's been the same since the Wii has been released. I wouldn't take too much notice of anything Greenpeace has to say anyway.

4. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    I was just thinking the other day, I have enough copies of the Wifi setup manual in my house to save a small tree.

5. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    When you focus too much attention on casual gamers you forget to make games for the Earth [​IMG]

6. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    Who cares? This is just more green bullshit. If you want to be green you wouldn't even own a console in the first place, or a computer, or any device that uses any energy at all or produces any waste. Seriously, show me anyone that makes a console choice based on any "green" other than money.

"When you focus too much attention on casual gamers you forget to make games for the Earth [​IMG] " You can't be serious?

7. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    fuck off Greenpeace god damn hippies! go fuck a tree hole. [​IMG]

8. Uncle FEFL

Member Uncle FEFL OBJECTION!

United States
    You miss the point of "being green" ridiculously. Being green does not mean to become completely wild, or "one with nature," rather, it means to use the advantages of technology we have today in order to preserve our planet. Carbon is a very dangerous element, one that could lead to the destruction of our planet; therefore, scientists and environmentalists especially try to bring awareness about carbon emissions and all that other stuff.

It's true, shoppers don't look for the "greenest" console. We shouldn't have to. All companies should try to use as many renewable resources as possible on their products. We shouldn't need to worry about it, the CEO's should. Using renewable resources is cheaper anyway, and in some cases reduce carbon emission.

Maybe Greenpeace is not a reliable source, but the general idea should not be pushed to the side just because we want to use technology. Solar panels are a great example (not for gaming consoles, though. Unless you like to play video games outside or like sun-glare on the TV screen from transparent doors and windows).

9. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    This will mean that Nintendo has to spend extra just to make consoles environmentally friendly. Come on now, we had NES, Genesis, Computers, SNES, N64, Sega Saturn, Gameboy...the list goes on. Not one game company actually gives a flying fuck about the ecosystem. If they did then we the hell the Xbox360 keeps on getting RROD? Same thing with the PS3 or better yet how come the consoles fails overtime. They are human made!!

Human made products were never environmentally friendly in the first place, that's why after much trial and error you can make a product that's safer for nature. Even then those nature friendly products has a downside. Seriously that Greenpeace shit is nothing but a voice that wants to feel important but don't know how too.

10. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    I don't miss the point of being green. Being green to the point of rendering products unproducable for profit is silly. You need to educate yourself on Greenpeace's goals though - they do intend for all of us to be completely wild.

Since you brought up solar panels you should do more research on them as well. In their current form they are not efficient enough and produce a lot of waste materials both in their creation and disposal. Nuclear power is the greenest option available - why is it opposed by so many? Plus, you can't put that on your console either, until the "Mr. Fusion" becomes a reality.

11. Hatsu

Banned Hatsu Someone's been killing, eh?

Australia
    Greenpeace just doesn't like how there is not enough violence on the DS and Wii. [​IMG]

12. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    I don't think what they say is true.
    BTW they have the best quality.

13. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    Imagine: Whalers will earn ubisoft and nintendo a 0/10

14. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    I just went and bought 5 Wiis because of this.

Fuck year Nintendo, don't let the hippies keep you down.

15. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    lol

16. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    i like it nintendo, screw the environment [​IMG]

17. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Who cares, all a bunch of bullshit IMHO.

18. Psyfira

United Kingdom
    ... I can't believe how many idiots there are in this thread -_- The point is to reduce the impact, of course noone's going to hit a perfect score on their scale but it's an indication that some companies should be doing more than they currently are. Noone's going to boycott a company just because of their score, it's just some interesting information to know. And somewhat worrying when you see how some companies are doing far better than others while still keeping their products in a sane price range.

Energy consumption doesn't affect console buying choices because each platform too different, there's only a limited number of models availiable within each one and the varying features between each model make those more important when choosing between models. For something like a fridge or a freezer, there's so much choice in the product range that energy consumption can be taken into account. For a console, it's not really feasible. Arguing that a company shouldn't care about the environmental impact of it's manufacturing process because it won't affect a customer's choice to buy the product is absurd.

19. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    Yep. Nintendo should start using used condoms to make the console casing and throw-away fairy floss for the circuits!....wait....o.o

20. Psyfira

United Kingdom
    I'm pretty sure my local bluebox don't collect those