Nintendo is remaking Super Mario RPG

Nintendo is reviving the very first Mario RPG. In a style very reminiscent of the original, Nintendo is giving Super Mario RPG a full remake, with a trailer that shows off beloved moments from the game with a fresh new look. Mario, Peach, Bowser, and yes, Geno, are back. The game launches on November 17, 2023.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I was talking about FF7R.
Well that is a remake and not a remaster, but fair enough. I can see how some people would dislike it, but I was ready for something completely new after being surrounded by the original FF7's marketing blitz and spinoffs for like a decade plus. Was solid and entertaining enough for what it is IMO, but I do hate that they're releasing the whole package in three segments.

Reactions: eternal

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why buy a game anyone who pays for Nintendo Online service can already play legally? People usually don't buy the same game twice, that's why the remake of that DS game flopped, you can play DS games on the 3DS.
Total Switch sales 126 million

Total users with Nintendo Online 36 million

So if nobody with Online buys it then Nintendo still have a potential of 96 million sales.

I think the game will do just fine.

Reactions: JeepX87 and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Total Switch sales 126 million

Total users with Nintendo Online 36 million

So if nobody with Online buys it then Nintendo still have a potential of 96 million sales.

I think the game will do just fine.
Yeah this is gonna sell like crazy, but I kind of wish it wouldn't. Nintendo needs to start pricing their games more competitively, and this is a $45 remaster if I've ever seen one (especially with no physical release). Meanwhile they're also charging $50 for WarioWare when it should be $40 at most.

Reactions: zfreeman

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah this is gonna sell like crazy, but I kind of wish it wouldn't. Nintendo needs to start pricing their games more competitively, and this is a $45 remaster if I've ever seen one (especially with no physical release). Meanwhile they're also charging $50 for WarioWare when it should be $40 at most.
Metroid Prime was remastered and dropped at 40.
But this is not a remaster. It's a remake. Will probably drop at full price, like Mario games do.

Also, considering it's still a partnership between Nintendo and SE, like seen in the end of the trailer, pricing won't probably lower.

But considering the player base, lowering the price a bit will win sales.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Metroid Prime was remastered and dropped at 40.
But this is not a remaster. It's a remake. Will probably drop at full price, like Mario games do.

Also, considering it's still a partnership between Nintendo and SE, like seen in the end of the trailer, pricing won't probably lower.

But considering the player base, lowering the price a bit will win sales.
Yeah it's already listed at $60.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Incredibly excited by this. missing the clay look of the original, but I'll adapt. Just hope the humour is properly kept. It'll be interesting to see how much of those Woolsey translations wind up changing things, if at all.

Also, just to throw it out there, here's a how i categorize Re-releasing games, from least amount of work to most amount done:
0) emulated (literally the original, just has a translation/emulator level to make it work. maybe some mods and tweaks)
1) port (straight up port with original game coding, just changes to work natively on a different platform)
2) Updated port (from old console to new console with original game coding + bug fixes and Quality of life fixes)
3) Remaster (from old console to new console with original game coding, but with varying degrees of shiny new/upgraded graphics and gameplay+code fixes/tweaks/QoL)
4) Remake (completely new code, but replicates the original playing experience with QoL tweaks and usually the same graphical style as a base)
5) Re...do? re-imagining? re-take? something. (basically, going back and having a re-do. New code, new story, new gameplay. Tries to keep the "heart" of the original, but is a completely different game to varying degrees)

ff7R is very obviously #5. This is definitely #4, a proper remake, which means full-priced most likely. very excited about the whole thing being remade, though.

Chrono Cross is #0 and I'm still salty about it.

Reactions: eternal

Shubshub

The Shubinator
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Notably they didnt mention Square Enix or list a developer for the title, So I wonder if Nintendo is doing this in house this time

Although I can definitely see the reasoning behind this title, Rather than try create yet another RPG Mario series after the fall of M&L (</3) They're probably gonna see how this goes and then build off of it, That's my prediction for the long haul

SexiestManAlive

The key that lights the dark
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome! Best game ever I played on my SNES. Beautiful new graphic updated over SNES old graphic.

Can't wait to re-play again same game running Yuzu emulator or Ryujinx emulator on my Nvidia RTX 3060. Everyone should be happy gaming on PC forever! ;)

No need Nintendo Switch, because most gaming computers are powerful enough right now. B-)

Edit:

If anyone know new PC name is Another Crusade. That's look similar to Super Mario RPG game is come to PC this year between Fall - Winter on Steam website:

View attachment 379170

Look same like Super Mario RPG on SNES! Can't wait to play this Another Crusade on PC. :yay:

eh, i prefer portability, with that being said, ill enjoy playing it on my steam deck :D

bandit24k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm glad Nintendo is actually using different types of art styles for Mario now, feels like it's been almost 15 years since they tried something unique outside of Paper Mario.

1NOOB

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Notably they didnt mention Square Enix or list a developer for the title, So I wonder if Nintendo is doing this in house this time

Although I can definitely see the reasoning behind this title, Rather than try create yet another RPG Mario series after the fall of M&L (</3) They're probably gonna see how this goes and then build off of it, That's my prediction for the long haul
there is at least the square enix copyright lol

Attachments

• 352107656_644295490893155_6900630030503792559_n.png
    352107656_644295490893155_6900630030503792559_n.png
    742.2 KB · Views: 21

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying