Nintendo is remaking Super Mario RPG

Nintendo is reviving the very first Mario RPG. In a style very reminiscent of the original, Nintendo is giving Super Mario RPG a full remake, with a trailer that shows off beloved moments from the game with a fresh new look. Mario, Peach, Bowser, and yes, Geno, are back. The game launches on November 17, 2023.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
While it's cool Super Mario RPG is getting attention and I'm gonna try this remake (I never played the original past the introduction), this looks like yet another low-effort remake from Nintendo.

Everyone is doing remakes so Nintendo follows the same trend.
Nintendo basically set that trend in the early 90's...

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Would have prefered a new one but this is also very good news anyways.
Most young people probably never got to play this and if it sells good enough we might get a new one.
Also don't mind replaying with new grafics and probably some other QoL features even though I'd say the original still looks rather good even now !

T4kUM1X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I actually never felt much interest to play this game, but this looks a wonderful way to try it for the first time (not sure if it's the graphics overhaul that sparked something in me)!! Anyways, I'm quite excited to try it!!! :grog:

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
oh oh i cannot wait to play Super Mario Rocket Propelled Grenade again 🙃🤣 fr though was this game so good that it warrants a remake? To my recollection this game was not that good at all lol 😋

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
square actually put that joke in not nintendo
Not sure this is correct since the same joke was reused years later in Super Princess Peach for the DS and Square had nothing to do with that. From my I hear the ending of that game had a wild double entendre about the vibrating sceptre though I've never even played it so could be wrong.

ChronosNotashi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why buy a game anyone who pays for Nintendo Online service can already play legally? People usually don't buy the same game twice, that's why the remake of that DS game flopped, you can play DS games on the 3DS.

Actually, it's not possible to play the original through Nintendo Online Service at all, since it's not on the list. Likely because of the whole legal mess that is Square Enix owning half of the original game, so Nintendo can't re-release it without making sure SqEx's okay with it first.

Hence why we got a Virtual Console release, but not an NSO release. SqEx could make (more) money off the former.

eternal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Incredibly excited by this. missing the clay look of the original, but I'll adapt. Just hope the humour is properly kept. It'll be interesting to see how much of those Woolsey translations wind up changing things, if at all.

Also, just to throw it out there, here's a how i categorize Re-releasing games, from least amount of work to most amount done:
0) emulated (literally the original, just has a translation/emulator level to make it work. maybe some mods and tweaks)
1) port (straight up port with original game coding, just changes to work natively on a different platform)
2) Updated port (from old console to new console with original game coding + bug fixes and Quality of life fixes)
3) Remaster (from old console to new console with original game coding, but with varying degrees of shiny new/upgraded graphics and gameplay+code fixes/tweaks/QoL)
4) Remake (completely new code, but replicates the original playing experience with QoL tweaks and usually the same graphical style as a base)
5) Re...do? re-imagining? re-take? something. (basically, going back and having a re-do. New code, new story, new gameplay. Tries to keep the "heart" of the original, but is a completely different game to varying degrees)

ff7R is very obviously #5. This is definitely #4, a proper remake, which means full-priced most likely. very excited about the whole thing being remade, though.

Chrono Cross is #0 and I'm still salty about it.
I'm glad someone else brought up the old "clay like" look. Question is was that because of the limitations of the hardware/software, nostalgia classes or perfectly glitchy art? lol
I've only in recent years had the pleasure of playing the original Super Mario RPG via emus, and it's hard to tell if it had a clay look, but I always wondered..., is this how it used to look?

And no I'm not talking about crappy scanlines. Are we just remembering the strategy book and/or manual for the game kind of like Earthbound had that clay like look in the strategy guide? Or was it in fact the clay like art in pixels? Without using hd snes youtube videos as a reference? lol :O Good stuff :)

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
And no I'm not talking about crappy scanlines. Are we just remembering the strategy book and/or manual for the game kind of like Earthbound had that clay like look in the strategy guide?

It was kind of a tradition at that point as they looked 3D like while being cheap to make, unlike making expensive 3D renders that would only show on the manual.

This was an expensive game released a bit too late hence why an European version wasn't made due to the cost of the chip..kinda funny as Europe was a place were RPGs sold better that in the USA at the time.

Reactions: eternal

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I actually never played the original, but always wanted, so this is perfect! Looking forward!~
Post automatically merged:

I have been waiting for switch pro, but now I don't need to wait any longer
Fuck the switch pro. Idk why such craze for pro model when its about the games and fun, not pumping those pixels.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
yep. That's why you buy a steam deck and forget about Nintendo :tpi:
No, that is not the reason, and your assumption is incorrect.

But i don't get what's your point, other than sounding as a smart-ass.
It would have been far be better if you asked me to clarify what I actually meant... Oh well. I guess well never know. :)

Reactions: ChronosNotashi

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad someone else brought up the old "clay like" look. Question is was that because of the limitations of the hardware/software, nostalgia classes or perfectly glitchy art? lol
I've only in recent years had the pleasure of playing the original Super Mario RPG via emus, and it's hard to tell if it had a clay look, but I always wondered..., is this how it used to look?

And no I'm not talking about crappy scanlines. Are we just remembering the strategy book and/or manual for the game kind of like Earthbound had that clay like look in the strategy guide? Or was it in fact the clay like art in pixels? Without using hd snes youtube videos as a reference? lol :O Good stuff :)
I remembered playing it as a kid on a crt and cartridge thinking how they all looked like clay, particularly mallow or any "lumpy" character. A lot of the "3d" games back then did this I think, so I'm guessing the artistic choice helped hide some of the flaws.

I wonder if any of the commercials used clay figures...I can't recall

Reactions: eternal

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

A lot of the old 90s Silicon Graphics art in general already bears a resemblance to clay figurines. Though i'd say Mario RPG even moreso than others. The sprites are downsized and adapted from the rendered art, but even ingame the clay-like appearance still peeks through. Especially with some of the larger bosses and environment graphics, but also the regular ingame sprites too IMO.

tumblr_mqp3n3dhN31rrftcdo1_500.gif

tumblr_mi123nxCbv1rrftcdo1_500.png

snes_smrpg_mario_mallow_geno.jpg

It's sort of the combination of the smooth shaded texture-less surfaces as well as how a lot of the character details are made up of spheres (and other simple shapes that you can easily construct from clay). Even the eyes look like flat circular clay shapes layered on top of one another. I've also seen people replicate these renders in clay with remarkable accuracy-

jose-nicolas-carrizales-rivera-nikko3d-mario-6.jpg

DSC06039.JPG

I made clay figures of these characters myself as a child. They weren't nearly as high quality as these, but the game's visuals certainly strongly reminded me of clay and it was why I chose that medium as opposed to trying to draw them.

I wonder if any of the commercials used clay figures...I can't recall
The Japanese commercial for the game did use claymation, and yeah it does resemble the rendered art.

• Love
Reactions: eternal and osaka35

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ