Nintendo gives more details about its online service, cloud saves get deleted if you cancel your sub

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 14, 2018.

1. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    It's because of all those American youtubers that blew Nintendo up because they saved the video game crash in the usa. Most reviewers and so forth are American so because of their nostalgia we have to deal with all of this bullshit and crap and because of them everybody gives them a free pass because god you dare say something different than those youtubers, you'll get struck down by an angry army of followers

Last edited by kumikochan, Sep 15, 2018
  2. Tweaker_Modding

Tweaker_Modding Siezure Dice™

Sep 1, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Somewhere
    Wow nintendo you really fucked your online up

3. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Washington State
    This, THIS right here. You're 100% right. You get and keep customers by having a friendly and easy experience, that encourages people to return to your platform. Paywalling a damned controller and archaic online offerings that feel right out of the early 2000's is NOT the way to do that. Piracy takes a bit out of revenue, yes, but they'd more than make up for it with new customers if these offerings were anything but the meager and draconian middle finger informed shoppers can see it all as.

Last edited by Arecaidian Fox, Sep 15, 2018
    ShadowOne333 and Euphonique like this.
  4. Slim45

Slim45 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2018
    United Kingdom
    or cfw for "legal" backups

5. dmace81

dmace81 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 3, 2008
    United States
    Wow im so glad Wii U was my last nintendo console im ever buying new. Maybe once switch is long gone I will get one but not anything new to support this crap. Ill wait till they are used and on ebay cheap when this online bullshit is all gone. Im surprised they didn't make it so you couldn't play any games without having there service which would make the console worthless once there online service is gone.

6. Euphonique

Euphonique Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2018
    Germany
    The switch itself isn‘t bad at all. I was very sceptic first but it‘s a really fun console with some great games so far.

dmace81 likes this.
  7. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Same reason they put out Other M and Skyward Sword. Because they knew dumb turds would buy anything with a given brand with indiscriminate force. And defend it like a good little fanboy. Just like that one steam group that was protesting the horrible state of the PC port of MW2 and then a screencap not two hours after launch showed the majority of its members all playing - you guessed it - Modern Warfare 2.

They already proved they can't handle criticism themselves, considering that they basically shut down the review system rather than deal with all the one-star reviews for their crap. Or how even a game that was around since launch digitally is STILL selling at launch MSRP on their eShop.

This kind of practice is pretty much why I make a point of avoiding digital purchases for consoles... and why hopefully the EU will finally decide enough is enough, and force the console makers to allow third party storefronts to exist and serve their users. Then, and only then, will we see some real competition on quality and price, on the digital side of things.

8. goldensun87

goldensun87 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2017
    United States
    And this is why Notendo nuked all ROM sites.

9. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    They're just like that spoiled turd who hogs all the toys in preschool not because he or she wants to, but just for the sake of doing it out of nothing but spite. This makes me even more glad to have downloaded several GB of ROM sets.

goldensun87 likes this.
  10. TheMCNerd2017

TheMCNerd2017 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2017
    United States
    So as soon as the subscription runs out, your backed up saves in the cloud get deleted? Very stupid in my eyes, it's not hard to give the user the chance to download their saves if their subscription runs out.

11. DJPlace

DJPlace The Hater of Sony Censor Ship!!

Apr 16, 2008
    United States
    it's cheap online price no wonder nintendo is not letting keep your online saves.

12. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    You would think so, but stupid is is stupid does.

13. Kourin

Kourin Touhou Maniac

Jan 24, 2016
    Australia
    Ripple Star
    The NES selection is fucking terrible and slowly dripping more is awful.
    They've killed piracy sites
    They've killed Virtual Console
    The least they could do is offer a large selection of NES, SNES, GB(C) and GBA games. They have emulators that run all of those perfectly and it's apparent that they don't want us buying them or pirating them in any other way.

Why do they think NES games are some exciting selling point in the year 2018? Especially after they just relased the NES and SNES Classics.

DarthDub, goldensun87 and Huntereb like this.
  14. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Succubus™ The Adorable Enby

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Hiding from Area 51 guards
    Side note, why is it always NES games? I understand that they are trying to appeal to nostalgia, but stop it. It's always the same games and always the same features. Offer more games already!

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Sep 15, 2018
    DarthDub and Supster131 like this.
  15. DarkCoffe64

DarkCoffe64 Bo

Mar 30, 2011
    Italy
    Arcadia
    If there's one thing Nintendo always fails with, it's online crap :v
    This has to be the worst online service there is (I dunno, I live under an effing rock)
    And besides, how many online games there are for the switch? Bet you can count them on one hand.

Bah, imo, the switch is just a dumping ground of ports of old games.

Edit: Oh yes, and fuck you again Nintendo for your shit service of killing roms site, thank you for making it much harder to
    find games that are nowadays almost impossible to find.
    You'll never get a single cent from me anymore Ninty. I hope you go under as soon as possible.
    Imo, the best Nintendo could happen to them is that they end up as Sega: a third party game developer.
    At least then they would mostly focus on making games, I hope.

Last edited by DarkCoffe64, Sep 15, 2018 - Reason: Wanted to share more important wisdom of mine
    goldensun87 and digipimp75 like this.
  16. digipimp75

digipimp75 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 16, 2014
    United States
    Is anybody really that surprised? Nintendo of Japan is just a bunch of stubborn, clueless old men who are so far detached from reality. The only thing they understand is money, so don't pay for this shit.

17. nWo

nWo The Game Master

Oct 20, 2016
    Mexico
    All this paying for online is crazy. I remember back then when Xbox launched it, I thought it was going to be a temporal shit. But damn, people payed for it and they are happy as of today!!. It was only a matter of time before N did the same thing. But since the beginning of paying online, I think that's fucked up. You buy a console, you pay your internet, and then, you need to pay to play online? Crazy shit still to this day.

goldensun87 likes this.
  18. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    So if your subscription expires they'll delete your saves.

I bet if you don't check in once every 7 days "to verify your account" they will delete your NES games too.

19. MushGuy

MushGuy GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 11, 2010
    United States
    I'm conflicted now. Will it be worth it for the upcoming Gen 8 Pokémon game for, you know, trading and battling? What about legit users who use homebrew for other things? My Switch is still sitting at 3.0.0., so I don't know what to do. If someone decides to make an alternate online server, I might be interested.

20. Taffy

Taffy jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr

Mar 3, 2017
    United States
    Student
    Hey hey hey who else wants to boycott Nintendo

These people seem to agree

sorry for the mass-quote