Nintendo gives more details about its online service, cloud saves get deleted if you cancel your sub

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 14, 2018.

1. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Even worse is that there are a lot of sycophants and enablers out there for this.

nonamejohn likes this.
  2. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Yeah, it was the XB360 generation that sealed our fate. If only Sony had used more standardized hardware in the PS3, then maybe it wouldn't have been so overpriced and people would've flocked to the free online.

3. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I'm just, ugh, gonna try out the trial period at least and make my judgment then.

4. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Psycho!

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    I buy products that are equal the value I offer for them, not "Just because that's how it is". If people work together in capitalism, corporations can be forced to create and do what we want. Eg; not settling for dogshit because "Well, that's how it is so oh well!".

5. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Well, I mean, I'm glad that I don't have to pay for VC-like games, now, whether or not we can keep them "forever" without being forced to delete them or lose them, that may mitigate my doubts.

6. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Certainly I'm not suggesting anybody buy it who doesn't see the value in it, but from my point of view the cost is justified when comparing it to the competition. Particularly if there are any Nintendo IPs you like to play online regularly. Smash has been my favorite fighting series since N64, so playing Ultimate online is essentially a must for me.

It's fine if you don't see the same value in it that I do, but pretending a boycott would do anything at this point is fairly naive. Paid online for Nintendo was inevitable the second people started paying for PSN without much fuss.

7. Skeet1983

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    Um, I don't think we can keep the games forever. If you are talking about the NES games that come with Nintendo Online. Here is what I read, according to nintendolife.com:

What happens to the NES games if I cancel my subscription?
    As far as we understand it, you can only play these NES games as long as you have an active subscription. The moment your subscription ends, you'll lose access to them.

Even active subscribers will have to "check in" with their console online once per week or they'll lose the ability to play them. This allows Nintendo to verify that you have an active subscription.

Personally, I think this sucks. :(

8. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Indeed, I hope someone someday cracks the DRM and allows us to keep them forever.

9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    You seem very fatalistic. I am not sure that is a good thing. I am certainly not inclined to roll over and take it, particularly not with something so blatantly a cash grab.

10. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Not really, it's not as though I'd tolerate year over year price increases or something like that. As I've said, people can determine the value of the individual online services for themselves, but that's often going to be limited to the one console/platform they own. Not a lot of people (on consoles) will pass on all of these services and stick to offline-only, but that's always an option too. Just don't expect it to be enough to make capitalism suddenly change course.

11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    People not buying a product has made people rethink things before.

Anyway I am struggling to the value in paying for things which have demonstrably been able to be done for free for decades, something which is only getting cheaper and easier to run and what miniscule costs there are able to be spread out over more users too. They try to offer a few enticements but it is things we have seen before done better by them and by those messing around in their free time, or again done not only for free but actually considered basic functionality in the past.

To open my wallet you have to offer me something, and not just a product of your walled garden that I am already trapped in. To keep being told I am just being cheap rankles somewhat, especially when those doing it seem to be ignoring that something is infinitely more than nothing. It would almost be easier to swallow if someone told me it was a charitable action that I am doing (or not doing as the case may be).

12. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    That's largely the same argument that's been made against any paid console online subscription since XBL. It hasn't stopped it from growing and subsequently spreading to the competition. I don't mind at all if Switch online has a low adopt rate, because that would push Nintendo to offer more benefits. I don't believe they'll re-think the whole subscription service, though.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted