Nintendo gives more details about its online service, cloud saves get deleted if you cancel your sub

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 14, 2018.

1. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Saved games get deleted once subscription ends?
    Oh wow...

Subtle Demise likes this.
  2. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Co's VGM Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Justinde75 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    West City
    I guess you could just make sure your saves are backed up before you decide to cancel it/before it runs out.

3. iQue

iQue GBAtemp Regular

Jul 10, 2013
    Congrats ...so your buying everyone on here a subscription? ...since like $20 is nothing to you ...how about 1 member a week?? ...I don't want to push it, but if it's still nothing to you 2 members a week??

For a portable "nice" the switch should be like the 3DS online service ...free!

But it should come with the cost of the price of the game ...I pirate switch games and buy used games "yeah I go all out" - I like to support the stores who sell them instead of the companies who make them! ...because of crap like this!

Subtle Demise and Supster131 like this.
  4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Exactly, cloud saves are nice, but they aren't without major flaws, people sure are quick to defend it.

5. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    I don't think you can count discounts :P but yeah, even at 1/3rd of the price, it does seem really lack luster. I'll probably wait until they offer something meaningful. I don't care much about voice chat or party invites, but I know they're pretty popular with most folk.

I suspect it'll do well as long as it "just works".

6. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    Not going verify those, because it was a stupid separation on my part. AFAIK, PC doesn't pay for dedicated servers either. (Unless they are a non-ftp mmo.)

7. limpbiz411

limpbiz411 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2007
    United States
    why does Nintendo have to be so cringe worthy when it comes to online infrastructure? They made my decision on hacking my switch really easy on me. Much more worth it to have a hacked switch then online when it comes to Nintendo. Friend codes still? and that stupid phone app? Nintendo has gotten straight greedy lately and don't care about us as a consumer except for our wallets.

Last edited by limpbiz411, Sep 14, 2018
  8. DarkIrata

DarkIrata GBAtemp Fan

Jun 12, 2015
    Gambia, The
    huh ok. still gonna buy it. Still interesting concept

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  9. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    ????

Yeah, you're sure showing them

Pleng likes this.
  10. ferret7463

ferret7463 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 21, 2010
    United States
    nope, i'll just keep my 3DS . Online services tend to suck due to the fact after about 5 years, they just quite support and you're out of luck.... Also it has become clear why Nintendo attacked the rom sites so hard recently.....

11. deinonychus71

deinonychus71 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 12, 2008
    United States
    Chicago
    For the first time I might actually vote with my wallet and not pay for this subscription.

Nintendo has amazing IPs, amazing devs, but their corporate should really be let go. They're -insanely- outdated in just about everything they do.

Really, how did Steam beat piracy on PC? By being MORE convenient than playing pirated games. All social features, integration, achievements and all.
    Same for PSN/XBOX, if you pirate, you're actually missing out by not having online features.

This? This is basically that annoying video that you're forced to watch when you buy a movie and that says "Hey thank you for buying our product, but remember stealing is bad".
    Jeez. Nintendo, you're never gonna beat piracy by forcing such inconvenience on your customers.

12. PedroKeitawa

PedroKeitawa GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    Italy
    Ok since im not so savi about PS4 and is amazing Plus (not joking i really like their online program)...how much time Sony give you before they remove your cloud save data from the server after your registration expire?

I hope that a software solution, not necessarly free (since i have no problem in buy a usb cable), for mod the console will come. Beocuse i know if i inser that paper clip in the wrong place my Switch is gone. Speaking of this rapidly the R4 solution is any good?

EDIT: Also regarding the list of NES games....no Baseball. Nintendo what the actual hell?!?

Last edited by PedroKeitawa, Sep 14, 2018
  13. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    There's no real concrete answer. It apparently used to be 6 months back in the PS3 days, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I was unsubbed for over a year and my cloud saves were still there when I resubbed.
    https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/PS-Plus-Information

I guess we'd need someone to sub to PS+, upload a save to the cloud, then stay unsubbed until if/when the save is deleted from the cloud.

Subtle Demise and PedroKeitawa like this.
  14. PedroKeitawa

PedroKeitawa GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    Italy
    Wow. Well time to spedn 60€ for re apply to the PS+ then. Thank you Sony.

15. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Yeah, it's pretty shitty on their part, cloud saves be damned, it's better to back them up to an actual HDD or SD card.

16. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    If we could a better setup for Wiimfi that includes a miiverse style site and proper connectivity with the many Nintendo emulators, I would toss money at that. Been thinking a lot about that idea.

Zeldaplayer67 likes this.
  17. Euphonique

Euphonique Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2018
    Germany
    As I said in another Thread: The price is fair but thats not the problem. What people upset is the poor service we‘ll get. Come on: The miiverse was even better than that! We don‘t have any community functions, no chat, no voip on the console, no webbrowser, no other apps like Netflix, Youtube.. etc.
    I wonder WHY I should pay for it.. For a handful games with online play?
    And yes: The savegame backup in the cloud should be free, too.
    Nintendo should do their homework and deliver a good online service BEFORE asking for money.
    It‘s a pity.. It could be so much better than that. If I heard about the services we‘ll get I thought: Really?! Thats it?!

18. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Well that's Nintendo. They usally rely on their name, branding and nostalgia and Fanboys to pull them through all the bullshit and make them money. Sadly they always succeed so they keep doing crap like this. It's like they always get a free pass for no reason at all while others have to defend themselves for the smallest things. Nintendo is like eminem, you just can't bash them

Supster131 likes this.
  19. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    This is exactly what I was thinking. Why does Nintendo get a free pass? Before the Xbox One launch, Microsoft was announcing some very anti-consumer stuff. Did people let them get away with it? Hell no. They fought back and spoke with their wallets. Look at Microsoft now. I'd say they are currently the most consumer-friendly of the three. Do people not want the same with Nintendo?

sleepymanakete likes this.
  20. Euphonique

Euphonique Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2018
    Germany
    I agree. Don‘t get me wrong: I like Nintendo for the games they make.. But online services are not their strength. Sometimes I think a community member whould do better decisions in making such a service as the nintendo managers. It seems they don‘t even hear what their fans want or the simply ignore them.