Nintendo gives more details about its online service, cloud saves get deleted if you cancel your sub

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 14, 2018.

1. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja Toying with my mind

Aug 25, 2014
    United Kingdom
    On his bed
    p2p isn't much of a problem in most games, but whatever algorithms Nintendo uses to match up players is absolute garbage.

MushGuy, Subtle Demise and Supster131 like this.
  2. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I think the phoning home every 7 days may be the worst of the lot. we've not all pirates, Nintendo, yet we're all treated as such. if you didn't trust us with your hardware, you shouldn't have released the switch.

3. Treeko

Treeko GBAtemp Fan

Sep 29, 2012
    Halo uses dedicated servers on xbox I am pretty sure about that, on playstation there's GT sport using dedicated servers, both sony and Microsoft have modernised their online infrastructure, and pretty much all major triple AAA shooters and sports games are using dedicated servers on both consoles.

4. Zeldaplayer67

Zeldaplayer67 (Secretly a Yo-Kai)

Apr 1, 2018
    United States
    The Moon
    I just cant grasp that. You cant buy a controller without buying the online. I just cant understand.

5. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Another Huxleyian Dystopia
    So no NES controllers in the store then?

6. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    maybe the nes controllers stop functioning if you don't renew your subscription. :P

wiewiec and wurstpistole like this.
  7. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    The only reason i would buy the Nintendo switch online subscription is because of monster hunter Generations ultimate. It might not even use Nintendo's servers. I think capcom runs the monster hunter servers. The dlc is handled by capcom servers. The nes games dont interest me. I have many nes consoles and all the carts i could ever play. I have had all the roms and emulators years ago. I dont need nintendo's online nes service. The nes controllers are cool but not for $60. Most id pay is $30

The reason these old games get re-released is because they are popular and noobs keep buying them. All they had to do was keep their old nes consoles (for the older generation that is ) for the new gen, just use emulators. or buy a nes and a flash cart. You can just use a wii for emulation. Or gee i dont know a pc. any old pc will do. Only noobs dont know what roms and emulation is. Since the noobs dont go above and beyond what a company tells them is available they deserve to get ripped off by nintendo's greed.

To all the hard core hackers and homebrew creators out there: This is the time for you to get back at nintendo. Create your own switch server software. Then release that shit. Once its released Nintendo cant stop it. Host that shit deep on the dark web.

8. mituzora

mituzora Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2016
    United States
    I mean, kinda they do. From what I'm gathering on this forum, is that the NES controllers will support the NES titles only

9. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    are these the $60 joycons? do they work with other games?

10. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja Toying with my mind

Aug 25, 2014
    United Kingdom
    On his bed
    What annoys me is that it's legitimately their solution for Virtual Console.

11. mituzora

mituzora Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2016
    United States
    They are 60 bucks. As if they work on other games than just the NES library, I have yet to confirm or deny this, but other members have posted that they only work with the NES titles

12. Closet Nerd

Closet Nerd GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    DRM Gamepads...

[​IMG]

Tiger21820, wiewiec, Treeko and 2 others like this.
  13. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    To my knowing it was always xbox using dedicated servers seeing they showed their massive server building when the 360 launched as an advertisement and it being playstation that always used p2p and only this generation moving towards dedicated servers. Also the reason why xbox live always had the upper hand compared to Sony because they used dedicated servers. Even Halo on the xbox classic had dedicated servers

Last edited by kumikochan, Sep 14, 2018
  14. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    Literally every game on their list that I cared to own, I already own. Real cartridge. Real NES. Owned for 18+ years. And I repeat "owned", not some sort of yearly rental.

Which goes to show being popular doesn't translate to being good. This Switch online thing may be very popular.

MS doesn't share its data with Facebook, and I've heard no evidence that Apple (which you wouldn't be getting on a cheap PC) even collects data. Meanwhile, what makes you think Nintendo won't be pushing ads on the Switch eventually? Meanwhile, as paranoid as I am, I don't believe Microsoft is tracking stuff I'm typing in a third party game launched through Steam. I can/do block as much telemetry data as I can on Windows (which is a non-starter on Switch), and I don't use Windows for much more than gaming. I also don't use Facebook because, golly, it's nothing more than one massive privacy invading platform. If I did use Facebook, I wouldn't care at all about the ads or MS/Apple/whoever tracking me.

Sure it's portable, and that's definitely an advantage over a desktop. It's not 1/3rd the cost, though. And as far as making a profit? Yea, I imagine they'll make nearly $20/year more than they would otherwise. The additional costs this specific service costs (they've already got online servers for a game shop and sales) is incredibly negligible.

Compare an i5-3570, a GTX 1050, and 8GB of RAM to minimal and recommended specs on Steam for a couple new AAA games and get back to me. I'm seriously curious if you can find many games that run terribly or not at all on my system.

You what's even better? $0/year. And a 2DS. That's actually 1/3 the price (of a Switch).

15. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    I'm pretty sure most games are still peer to peer. Not that I care about dedicated servers. I would pick free over dedicated servers every time.

16. iQue

iQue GBAtemp Regular

Jul 10, 2013
    It only sold like hot cakes because of the limited supply at the time ...now you can't give them away, it's the same for the SNES Classic!

Well Nintendo are?? ...Nintendo's marketing strategy has already been tried and tested, over and over!

They better have HD rumble for that price!

17. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    In
    Cod has dedicated servers, overwatch has dedicated servers, battlefield has dedicated servers, halo has dedicated servers, destiny has dedicated servers, the division has dedicated servers, every mmo mmorpg has dedicated servers. Basically saying almost every multiplayer game these days has dedicated servers

18. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    The cloudsaves merely sync with the ones on your device, correct? The ones on your device aren't delete are they? Then the cloud service is less "your saves are now online" and more "your saves are backed up online in case your device dies", right? Doesn't really change the situation, but pretty sure you'd still have your local copy.

Yeah, but you still need xbox live for dedicated services not owned by microsoft. Elder scrolls, pretty sure, use bethesda servers. Can't play the game without xbox/ps+ though. Not sure how many games are like this, but it is annoying when they act as gate keepers. I remember when netflix was for gold only. They finally allowed you to use netflix without xbox gold, but I've been wary ever since.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  19. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Mother fuckers, not even a few months? So if you card exp date changes your fucked....

sleepymanakete and Subtle Demise like this.
  20. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    True that but ir's the same now with Nintendo but they only use p2p while Sony and Microsoft basically say "" subscribe to us and we promise all our first party titles will have dedicated servers " So that's the big difference. Thing is you also get newer games while nintendo only offers games that are over 30 years old. And be honest, nobody pays 60 a year but more like 35 40 a year through 3th party websites. And you also get real voice chat, party invites, message system and voice messages plus more apps to use and a real friend invite system instead of using friend codes like we went back in time 20 years

sleepymanakete and Subtle Demise like this.