Nintendo gives more details about its online service, cloud saves get deleted if you cancel your sub

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 14, 2018.

Front-page
    wGRlqwr.png

We got a glimpse of some new information about Nintendo's Switch Online Service yesterday during the Direct, but most of what was shown there was already known. To help shed a little more light on just what a subscription entails, Nintendo put a FAQ up on their site. The details are as follows:

• As already stated before the Direct, all Switch users (used to be only launch users) can get a 7 day free trial. This gives you access to online, voice chat, cloud saves, and the NES games.
    • Those two wireless NES controllers are only purchasable if you have a current paid Nintendo Switch Online sub.
    • The full list of 20 playable NES games for subscribers was revealed: Soccer, Tennis, Donkey Kong, Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 1 and 3, Balloon Fight, Ice Climber, Dr. Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Double Dragon, River City Ransom, Ghost's N Goblins, Tecmo Bowl, Gradius, Pro Wrestling, Excitebike, Yoshi, Ice Hockey, and Baseball.
    • Each month, a new set of games will be added to the group.
    • October will add NES Open Golf, Solomon's Key, and Super Dodge Ball
    • November additions are Mighty Bomb Jack, Twinbee, and Metroid.
    • December brings Wario's Woods, Adventures of Lolo, and Ninja Gaiden.
    • Additionally, if you ever lapse in your subscription, you will lose all cloud data. "Save data stored with Save Data Cloud cannot be kept outside of the duration of your Nintendo Switch Online membership." If you cancel or let it expire, you'll lose all data saved on the cloud.
    • If you play the NES games, you need to check in every 7 days by going online to verify your account.

:arrow: Source: Nintendo UK
    :arrow: Source: Nintendo of America

Discussion (451 replies)
  1. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Antarctica
    Nintendo: To show y'all just how generous we are, you get a FREE 7-DAY TRIAL of features that were absolutely free before!

2. Enryx25

Enryx25 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 25, 2016
    Italy
    Cloud saves and NES games are new features though.

3. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Iffy much?
    Really people, if I were you I would not give a single cent to Nintendo.
    The service itself is atrocious and the catalogue of games available from older consoles is a fucking joke.

I don't get why people keep supporting this kind of shit to be honest.
    Besides it's not like there are many good online games on the console.
    And those that are free to play will continue to be even after the Online Service goes live (like Fortnite and others).

4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Tom BombaDadlo

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    FFS Nintendo, even Sony gives you 6 months to download your cloud saves after you cancel your PS+ subscription, would it kill you to do the same? God forbid Nintendo lose out on that precious 100mb worth of space some guy used to store his saves!

5. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Nintendo's online really seems like a sham.

Except, people are going to pay for it regardless, because it's that, or never play online. Even if it's the worst service in the world, they still will get tons of people paying.

DrkBeam, gnmmarechal, jimmyj and 16 others like this.
  6. Windaga

Windaga GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    New England
    Yeah....so if I switch credit cards and forget to update my payment method, ALL of my saves are gone? Or if I'm on a plane without WiFi during the crossover period, I'm just out of luck?

That's crazy. Especially if they don't let you pre-purchase years in bulk. Imagine buying the one month period to test the service out, and then losing all of your data at the end of the period without warning. That's nuts.

7. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Don't give Nintendo a cent, and put those $20 dollars into supporting something like Yuzu or whatever Switch emulator is in development.
    I can guarantee you 100% that the online service the emulator will have will be an infinite amount of times better than what Nintendo's shit is.

8. SirNapkin1334

SirNapkin1334 Renound Aritst

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    That’s pretty mean.

9. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    Nintendo is so obnoxious sometimes...

10. Marco_Buns

Marco_Buns The Lonely Man On The Iceberg

Aug 31, 2015
    Iceland
    Why are you doing this Nintendo?

11. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I'm going to pay for it because realistically, it's pocket change per month if you do the yearly subscription. I'm waiting until I actually update and start playing online again, though

I really hope that "special offers" thing will be along the lines of a true Club Nintendo 2.0

12. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Addict

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Cloud saves get deleted if you cancel your sub ? WTF Nintendo are you fucking kidding ??? You just like the bad publicity and be in the bad spotlight ? They NEVER learn

13. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    There is simple no reason to have the online hostage for any of these features.

If people actually stand up against it, like the PC gamers did and stop making excuses, this whole nonsense would be done.

14. DrayanoX

DrayanoX Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2017
    France
    Fucking lol

15. wurstpistole

wurstpistole Proud TX supporter

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Nes controllers only purchaseable with an active subscription... Black Market on eBay, here I come! My console is banned anyway, couldn't give any shits about this if I wanted but damn, they know how to make this as complicated as possible.

16. Sinon

Sinon "AutumnWolf!" ❤️

Sep 15, 2015
    Costa Rica
    Nintendo was doing so well, but now they are just shooting themselves in the foot

Don't get 'Switch online' people

Last edited by Sinon, Sep 14, 2018
  17. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Well.. Guess I don't care at this point if I'm banned. More so the principle than the action.. The current state of affairs in gaming is ridiculous...

18. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Snohomish, WA
    You know what else lets you back up your saves and play NES on your Switch? Homebrew!

19. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Paid online is one of the main reasons consoles need to die