Nintendo gives more details about its online service, cloud saves get deleted if you cancel your sub

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 14, 2018.

1. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Guru

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Wow had to google the Yoshi game, never seen that one before :ninja:

The last two points suck the most...

Also: will the golf or any of those titles be motion controlled?!

Last edited by KiiWii, Sep 14, 2018
  2. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    Yeah, I was looking at wireless controllers in general, I have to agree.

lexarvn and kumikochan like this.
  3. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Let's not forget that I specifically said "CONSOLES" and those "PORTABLE" systems aren't their main focus right now nor does it lock features behind online subscription like the ps4 and xbox one does with their online multiplayer.

Why do you think the vita had the setup it has now? You saying that it wasn't at all cause psp had a save exploit system created by homebrew exploits? You can't do anything on vita without the content manager system on the pc or a ps3, and you can't even backup save data unless you back up the entire game with the content manager. Why would sony suddenly allow users on psp to put anything they want on a memory stick then turn around and need a exclusive memory card, content manager and more restrictions on vita?

This is why I said specifically their CONSOLES wasn't using save data to exploit for homebrew. :blink:

4. A Plus Ric

A Plus Ric GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 30, 2014
    United States

They are offering starting off NES games instead of having to buy them. So already you get all those NES games for the price yearly of what they were charging almost for 4 of those games to own. Don't let playing roms via emulators cloud your judgement on what is "something of note" Xbox live used to offer playing with cheaters they couldn't catch for 60 a year and it was one of the most popular things ever. Also don't have to worry about Windows or Apple or anyone else selling everything you say or do on the thing to every company around so you can see 50000 adverts on your Facebook or other pages about whatever you were talking with your wife that day or typing in a game. There is advantages to it all. Especially since its portable and 1/3rd the costs of all others. You think they are going to profit from 20 a year from people? I highly doubt they will make any profits from their online service. And If you think a 300 dollar refurbished machine is playing a lot of the new AAA games. Get out of here. Every new game has been requiring better specs and more and more out of ya. For a portable that plays well and has online 20 dollars a year is chump change. Its literally nothing at all.

5. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware

Nov 30, 2014
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    Glad this happened.

Now homebrew has another legitimate excuse :P

MushGuy, Subtle Demise and TheMrIron2 like this.
  6. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja Toying with my mind

Aug 25, 2014
    United Kingdom
    On his bed
    Should update the article to reflect the fact it's stored for a period of time after cancellation.

TotalInsanity4 and Memoir like this.
  7. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware

Nov 30, 2014
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    How would an indeterminate length of time give you any piece of mind?
    Is the grace period one day, or one year?

Not worth mentioning unless there's some sort of minimum grace period.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  8. mituzora

mituzora Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2016
    United States
    While I see your point, since when are portables not consoles? Not to mention the Xbox also had a save data exploit seeing that you would prefer a home console example. (the OG xbox had a splinter cell save data exploit to allow unsigned code to run on it)

The Vita while yes, everything had to go through the content manager, there was still a way to back up your data locally without paying for cloud storage. there is more to requiring content manager than just one exploit. They wanted a complete lockdown so there wasn't any way of storing homebrew in general even if there was an available exploit.

Anyways without going out on a tangent, their cloud management stuff is ridiculous. I hope we can agree on that one at least :)

Subtle Demise and TheMrIron2 like this.
  9. TheMrIron2

TheMrIron2 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2017
    Ireland
    This is really god damn disingenuous. It's a complete shambles especially compared to other services, holding standard features hostage behind a paywall and its only excuse is "it's cheap". Well, I guess you get what you pay for; a subpar service which is literally highway robbery at this stage.

What I like about Switch right now is that the online service is cheaper, but it's terrible - and the multiplatform games are even worse, being more expensive due to cartridges and being a markedly inferior experience. Why would anyone buy an unhacked Switch at this point?

sleepymanakete and Subtle Demise like this.
  10. SexySpai

SexySpai xdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    your mom lol
    Jesus christ just homebrew your switch and get an emulator. NES games are like the only reason you'll get it anyway. Cloud saves my ass.

11. ANTONIOPS

ANTONIOPS GBAtemp Regular

Jan 15, 2016
    Spain
    Hey Nintendo, I'm banned so no online for my but I'm gonna pirate the shit outta you! Anyway, I was going to purchase the games I like BUT, you know, Nintendo won't allow me to update even my lovely purchased games, so.... there's no other way, I'm really sorry Nintendo.....

12. wurstpistole

wurstpistole Proud TX supporter

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Way ahead of ya. Sf30 pro and nes30 pro in my drawer :D

13. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Yeah, it is kind of annoying getting free games as a bonus for paying for an unrelated exclusive service for the console when you could be getting those same free games for paying for an unrelated exclusive game, but for an older console

Pleng likes this.
  14. DarkSeele

DarkSeele Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2013
    Antarctica
    Who said anything about consumers can't complain, keep quiet, etc. :unsure:
    The guy I was responding to said, "Do you even care that it's 60 freakin' dollars for two NES-style controllers that you can only get with an active account?".
    My point was you really don't have to buy them, It's as simple as that.

That said, they're definitely doing this to create another reason for people to buy the online service. Why would anyone buy these? I hate the NES controller as it is and tend to use my SF30 every time I play retro games.
    Any Nintendo fanboy collecting everything from them is going to buy these controllers to use WITH the online service. They probably already own an NES classic too.
    Collectors are always going to spend dumb $$$ on dumb shit, surprise surprise. :toot:

They looked absolutely awful while attached the the :switch: imo:
    https://i.imgur.com/7nAOCMl.jpg

Famicom ver. of this from the Japanese Direct:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnAvbWpWsAIU2lf.jpg:large

My 8BitDo SF30 controller looks way better than those abominations. And it was $30 for full SNES layout, so you can use it for most 2D switch games and several 3D ones.

Sorry Nintendo but it looks like 8bitdo gets my business when it comes to retro controllers.

15. TheDarkGreninja

Aug 25, 2014
    United Kingdom
    On his bed
    We know there is, though. What that period is, is unknown. However, if you expect them to store it free of charge (even though I don't agree with us paying in the first place), you've got to be nuts.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I don't think this is really the thread for you to be whining about this.

sleepymanakete likes this.
  16. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Addict

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Yeah def I agree with you on that but I must say that collecting well my personal opinion is becoming less and less as time passes on and games are also becoming less worth in price. Think the collecting bubble and retro bubble is almost gonna burst.

17. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I mean, I'm glad that we finally know that we can actually download the NES games, but NES only is a huge turnoff IMO.

TheMrIron2 likes this.
  18. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    That's not what Nintendo is saying though.

kumikochan likes this.
  19. TheDarkGreninja

Aug 25, 2014
    United Kingdom
    On his bed
    https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22521/p/897

Confirms saves are at least stored for some time after you cancel. And even then, if you really wanted to keep your stuff backed up, why would you cancel membership anyway? Seems illogical to me.

20. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Addict

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    TheMrIron2 and Supster131 like this.