Nintendo announces the New 2DS XL

Coming out of absolutely nowhere, Nintendo has revealed a new variation of the 2DS...the New 2DS XL! The system features a top screen that looks almost like a cell phone snapped onto the bottom of a 3DS. It has the extra processing power of the N3DS, amiibo functionality, and the C-stick nub, while, just like the original 2DS, omits the 3D feature of the handheld. The New 2DS XL will release on July 28, and retail for $149.99.

TLNiles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Wait, what won't happen exactly?
I guess SigHax patching won't happen. N2DS so far seems to be just N3DS but without 3D, so the same vulnerability which persists through the whole 3DS family is most likely to still be present. To fix it, they'd have to redo everything from scratch hardware-wise, as been said somewhere, if I remember it correct.

Also I'm guessing it might not be shipped with actual latest firm, which is 11.4... so I expect that hacking it with SoundHax still might be an option? Someone tell me if I am wrong, because I don't know if new 3DS releases been actually shipped with latest firmware at the moment of their release.

Gamelogic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess SigHax patching won't happen. N2DS so far seems to be just N3DS but without 3D, so the same vulnerability which persists through the whole 3DS family is most likely to still be present. To fix it, they'd have to redo everything from scratch hardware-wise, as been said somewhere, if I remember it correct.

Also I'm guessing it might not be shipped with actual latest firm, which is 11.4... so I expect that hacking it with SoundHax still might be an option? Someone tell me if I am wrong, because I don't know if new 3DS releases been actually shipped with latest firmware at the moment of their release.

Ahh ok, thanks. The more I think of your response, I then recall that the later Wii models didn't change much either but when you tried softmodding them, the changes were significant enough to instantly notice. I guess we'll all find out next month.

goldensun87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tbh, the only thing that makes me consider buying this, is the fact that I will not have to open the bottom to reach the microSD card. That was one of Nintendo's worst ideas, damn fragile cover breaks at a screw, even when I am trying hard not to break it.

Reactions: N1N and Gamelogic

Gamelogic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tbh, the only thing that makes me consider buying this, is the fact that I will not have to open the bottom to reach the microSD card. That was one of Nintendo's worst ideas, damn fragile cover breaks at a screw, even when I am trying hard not to break it.

That can't be good and I really, really love that feature about the n2DS XL too...

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The trick is to use the right screwdriver. I have a mini screwdriver set and just used a #00 (or was it a #01? idr) flat to unscrew. The screws have a big x but they are shallow so a phillips doesn't work.

Gamelogic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The trick is to use the right screwdriver. I have a mini screwdriver set and just used a #00 (or was it a #01? idr) flat to unscrew. The screws have a big x but they are shallow so a phillips doesn't work.

Yeah I definitely use a nice small/mini flat for those kinds of screws because you don't want the phillips to chew away at the + (or screw head). I guess one could always get new screws as well lol.

goldensun87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I have the perfect size screwdriver. That is not the problem. The problem is when you have to pull the cover off. The clip-on is so tight, and the cover as a whole is so weak, that it is highly susceptible to bending and getting a fine crack right where the screw is. After such a crack happens, it is only a matter of time before the screw hole on the cover breaks in a way, that makes putting the screw back on, pointless. Fortunately, the left side is still intact, and I had chosen to buy a spare replacement cover, in case the remaining side breaks one day. Btw, my N3DS XL is the Majora's Mask version, so you can imagine how difficult it might be, to buy a replacement when I need one.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I forget. does that console use the slide-off back or does it have the two fingernail indents to make prying easier?
Its back is fastened on by 4 tiny tri-wing screws. The battery is not meant to be user-replaceable.
I have no idea if it's soldered in or not, but probably not.

goldensun87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forget. does that console use the slide-off back or does it have the two fingernail indents to make prying easier?

Its back is fastened on by 4 tiny tri-wing screws. The battery is not meant to be user-replaceable.

Both of you might be thinking about the regular N3DS. I have the N3DS XL, where the back is fastened by 2 screws, not 4. And it has to be pulled off by the fingernail indents.

N1N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both of you might be thinking about the regular N3DS. I have the N3DS XL, where the back is fastened by 2 screws, not 4. And it has to be pulled off by the fingernail indents.
Those are supposed to be pulled off by the back end of the stylus. It says so in the manual.

goldensun87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those are supposed to be pulled off by the back end of the stylus. It says so in the manual.
Hmm. Well, regardless, the clip-on is still quite tight, and using the stylus does not guarantee that the cover will not break at the screw holes.

pixelmasher

Gaming Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe they're throwing in the towel with this. Makes homebrew and copying CIAs so much easier.
Good thing I have tri-wing screwdrivers.

Reactions: goldensun87

goldensun87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe they're throwing in the towel with this. Makes homebrew and copying CIAs so much easier.
Exactly, especially with USUM and MSR on the way :D . I took a closer look at the specs, the game card slot and the microSD slot will be next to each other, and under a single cover.

goldensun87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, N2DS XL is coming shipped in 11.4. I cannot use the hardmoed method because I have no soldering equipment nor soldering experience. So, I'll have to wait and see if the 2 system softmod method is still possible or not before buying.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
So, N2DS XL is coming shipped in 11.4. I cannot use the hardmoed method because I have no soldering equipment nor soldering experience. So, I'll have to wait and see if the 2 system softmod method is still possible or not before buying.

Or just use ntrboothax/magnethax, hopefully it will be out by then.

Reactions: goldensun87

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Soon is drawing near :ninja:

Resized_20170723_151835.jpeg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum