Hacking New to ps3 - Double check, what I need for my first h-brew

godzillafan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Guys

Great job on this site as always!

I had my wii and ps2 done with the help of some great advice from chaps on here.

I know there is a million guides, but thought I start somewhere and go from here.

Mainly for my wee man (8), so don't want and really not interested in the online features.

Just play games the easiest way possible, I guess they will need DL's from somewhere

I want to get a ps3 and get it to work, so some quick fire questions what's best and what's not etc.

1. which model is best - I heard slim?

2. When I get a model from somewhere on offer - do I change the HDD (let's say 120gb bought) to 500/1TB myself?

3. is it simple as downloading some software like on the wii and ps2 brew and playing off that?

4. is HDD best or ISOs?

5. How long will it take to do and is it easy to do?

I am not interested in the online part, so buying my first ps3 is the issue in knowing what I need to start.

Any starting up help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Before I started to read huge guides and get confused.

Cheers upfront as always and keep up the good work

G

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Slim is better. Get the latest version possible that can be hacked. That'd be 25xx, but since some of them are hackable and some aren't, the only guaranteed way to get a compatible console is to get a 21xx or below.
2) Yes, you can change the HDD yourself, without worrying about messing with the hack.
3) Pretty much. Once you install some key programs (multiman being one), all you have to do is download a game or three and copy them to your hard drive.
4) I think this depends on the nature of the hack.
5) Once you have a PS3 with 3.55 OFW or below, it is rather easy to make downloaded games playable, and it will take a couple hours at most, assuming you do everything right (which is pretty easy if you follow guides)

There's basically two options for you:
Option A) This one is cheaper, but more time consuming. What you have to do is go to a local store or go online and buy any PS3, regardless of its firmware, with a model 21xx or below. Once you have your console, you take it to a shop or ship it to someone who hacks the console for you.
Option B) This one is easier, but more costly. It is buying a pre-modded or 3.55 firmware console from someone online. Because they know they're rarer, people gouge the prices. If you bought a pre-modded console, you're good to go. If you bought a 3.55 firmware (or below) console, you still need to follow the second step in option A.

I got my PS3 for $150 at Gamestop (after making the cute cashier there go through multiple PS3 boxes to find the right model), and paid $50 to some guy on eBay to mod it for me, so it roughly cost me $200 total. That is opposed to the ~$300 or more people on eBay will charge you for a premodded console.

Reactions: godzillafan

xcrimsonstormx

He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my PS3 for $150 at Gamestop (after making the cute cashier there go through multiple PS3 boxes to find the right model), and paid $50 to some guy on eBay to mod it for me, so it roughly cost me $200 total. That is opposed to the ~$300 or more people on eBay will charge you for a premodded console.

I agree with everything this guy said except, about buying premodded part. I bought mine premodded on ebay for $250 plus free shipping, and it came with the original box, a controller, and a free HDMI cable. So I paid $50 dollars more for a 3.55 PS3 then Pedestrian, which is saved automatically by not having to pay taxes at gamestop plus the shipping to and from the person who will mod it for you. So all honesty their about the same price wise. Everything else he said is spot on.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ebay is suspending modding services.
So, beware.

Other then that, the easiest (most expensive prolly) way is to get a 3.55 PS3.
Difficult, cheaper way is to get a late Phatty/old Slim and pay someone to mod it indeed.

Edit:
Change out the internal HDD and upgrade it to 1TB/1.5/2TB.
It'll pay off.
Besides, it looks neater then a bulky external next to it.
PS3 it self is as big as a car already.

godzillafan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Guys

here is the latest update.

I have managed to track one down cech-2003b Ps3 250GB

I guess a older one but with 250gb. I picking up today for £55 or about $90!

Can I not mod it myslef to work following a few guides on here

Or do I need to find someone

I have seen some sites saying they will 3.55 it! - But is that the mod or just a downgrade in the version 3.55 only? I think there is a few on the bay who are charging £30 to do it.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You'll need to get an E3 flasher if you want to downgrade it.
I'd pay someone to do it if you're careful about your funds, E3 flasher roughly 80 quid.

If they downgrade it to 3.55, you can just plonk a CFW onto a USB drive and install it on the console without any further modification/hardware.

godzillafan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks DS,

I guess as soon as I pick it up and confirm the models number etc - I shall report back here and make a plan of action.

Whats the best place (links) for all the necessary CFW's after it reaches the 3.55 stage?

Cheers guys nearly there

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks DS,

I guess as soon as I pick it up and confirm the models number etc - I shall report back here and make a plan of action.

Whats the best place (links) for all the necessary CFW's after it reaches the 3.55 stage?

Cheers guys nearly there
Well, it depends, really. To my knowledge, there are three main CFWs. Rogero, Habib, and Rebug. I've read that Rebug is much better than the others, and I have yet to have any problem with it myself. Here's a thread listing differences between the two/three. http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=55639

If you decide to get Rebug, you can get it at rebug.me. I'm pretty sure that site is safe to link here.

Also, before you worry about getting your CFW, you might want to make sure that the person that mods your console will also give it a tuneup. Getting rid of dust, applying new thermal paste, etc. It'd be a shame if the console you got and modded only lasted a month.

godzillafan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks P, i picked up ps3 this afternoon and the guy who had it, has looked after it and he himself did self cleans and dusted out the fan on a regular basis.

He had a picture of the fan on the site when i bought it but sadly taken it down as i bought it.

But DS mentioned there is a number of people on auctions site who offered a 3.55 and clean service at the same time,. I will go for one of them.

Is there no on here offering the service?

I will need to look into that a little more..

As much as I like and hate ebay - i will need to weed out the best supplier of the 3.55 service as they are all near enough priced the same at £30.

With me having to post the item to them and they will return.

I will check on here firstbefore I send away.

The worse thing was the seller had it on 3.55 and did a restart on it and it is now 4..3...somehting gutted.

He said it was downgradable and he refreshed it as he had so much personal stuff on it.

So I now have it with 220-230gb free on it.

I am toying on either having a external 1tb andleavingthe 250gb left on.

I guess that makes it easy to cart the external around if I need too.

I will read up on the cfw's for the next few days while the 3.55 goes into action.

xcrimsonstormx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your looking for a downgrade service I know their are people on the PS3HAX forums that do it for a nice price. I think $50 plus shipping. As for here I think the only person I know that does them is Devin. I'm not sure though. Anyways good luck to you!:lol:

godzillafan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks X.

I am heading there for a look.

also will have a real think on which cfw to put on as there is a couple of choices.

godzillafan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, it depends, really. To my knowledge, there are three main CFWs. Rogero, Habib, and Rebug. I've read that Rebug is much better than the others, and I have yet to have any problem with it myself. Here's a thread listing differences between the two/three. http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=55639

If you decide to get Rebug, you can get it at rebug.me. I'm pretty sure that site is safe to link here.

Also, before you worry about getting your CFW, you might want to make sure that the person that mods your console will also give it a tuneup. Getting rid of dust, applying new thermal paste, etc. It'd be a shame if the console you got and modded only lasted a month.

Hi P

Looking at it, the rebug seems more stable.

Is is possible to more than one cfw onto the system, I am sure I have read that people stick multiman and something else on the system! is that two CFW's?

I found my man to do the 3.55

and now thinking of going the rebug route - What else would I need with that or man I good to go and ready by the end of this week.

Also the ps3 games dl's - best places for them and what type of files are they and roughly how many gb do they take up?

I am sure I will need to watch a video on the transfer of them to the HDD of the PS3.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi P

Looking at it, the rebug seems more stable.

Is is possible to more than one cfw onto the system, I am sure I have read that people stick multiman and something else on the system! is that two CFW's?

I found my man to do the 3.55

and now thinking of going the rebug route - What else would I need with that or man I good to go and ready by the end of this week.

Also the ps3 games dl's - best places for them and what type of files are they and roughly how many gb do they take up?

I am sure I will need to watch a video on the transfer of them to the HDD of the PS3.
Multiman is not actually a CFW. Think of it this way: Rebug is Windows, and Multiman is a program. You can have as many programs as you want.

If you follow the tutorial here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-install-the-latest-rebug-cfw.347855/ you'll have everything you need in order to play games.

I can't link to sites that host ROMs or ISOs since it is against the rules, but I believe it's okay for me to tell you to type in a Google search "The Non-Premium games thread." PS3 game downloads are not actually single files. They consist of multiple files inside a couple of folders. The size ranges depending on the game, though. For example: Disgaea 3 is less than 2 GB, whereas a game like Beyond Two Souls is around 20 GB. Bigger the title/better the graphics, the bigger the game. And the transfer between computer and PS3 is very easy. All you have to do is copy the main folder of the download to the folder "GAMES." You can do that by either using the FTP server built into Multiman to transfer through an ethernet connection, or by plugging in your external hard drive, opening Multiman, then opening fileOS. From there, open dev_HDD (the bigger one), and following the steps I listed earlier.

godzillafan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cheers P

Its all coming together nicely now, I just need to sort out dates and times of having the ps3 sorted.

The its a case of picking a bunch of games to keep on the HDD.

I am keeping the 250gb HDD and just on 10-15 top games for the wee man to start with and as on when he wants other I am going to invest on a 1TB and get a bunch in one go.

thats the master plan.

I am will update as I go

cheers so far

Oh I found the games place you mention via google searches

godzillafan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi P

What are psn games and once dl can they be played via Rogero and multiman (that is whats going to be on my ps3 with the 3.55 service).

Are they just like normal ps3 games that are put on the HDD?

Are these online games and I need passwords - or nothing needed - just dl and play?

xcrimsonstormx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSN Games are games usually downloaded off the PSN store on the PS3. They can be anything for indie games too big games such as GTA 5 or CoD. If you want to play PSN games on your CFW PS3 then you should use an application called PSNStuff that will allow you to download PSN games, and applications. You will also need an application called ReactPSN that will activate the games you install allowing you to play them. As far as I know you can only install PSN games on the Internal drive of the PS3, but I could be wrong.

Anyways Good Luck!

godzillafan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cheers XC

Thanks for that as I found a nuber of them which I dont mind having. I wanted to check what they were and what the difference was with normal games.

I guess they will be going to the HDD as normal and then I will need to add some more apps to run them.

The Ps3 is still to arrive and I seemed to already filled it up with games!!

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to add to what Crimson said, that application is missing a lot of PSN stuff. If you can find it using that app, great, but I still recommend using the site I gave you. It has a PSN download section.

godzillafan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just to add to what Crimson said, that application is missing a lot of PSN stuff. If you can find it using that app, great, but I still recommend using the site I gave you. It has a PSN download section.

Thanks P.

I found a pile of psn stuff on there and plan to get loads and I will see what they latest bits they are using to play the games on the ps3.

cheers

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn