I have some specific questions before I jailbreak my ps3...

Mrtonychops

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I recently came across a video talking about a newer hack for the 4.90 version of PS3. I want to jailbreak the console but I have some questions that I can't find the answer to online:

1. I already have games that I purchased from the PSN store that are stored on my consoles hard drive. Will jailbreaking erase or affect those? For some reason I'm having a really difficult time just logging into the PSN store for some reason so I'm a little apprehensive about doing this if it's going to affect the games that I already have

2. Can I store PS2 iOS files on an external hard drive connected to my PS3 or does it have to be installed directly on the main hard drive?

3. All the tutorials are showing that I should use a thumb drive for the jailbreak, but what I also be able to use an external hard drive with a few gigabytes? Not sure if they're saying to use the thumb drive as an example or a requirement

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Mrtonychops,

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It won't affect or erase them, but you're risking your PSN account being banned. Just don't use it on a hacked console.

Agree that it's ALWAYS a risk, but if the proper precautions are taken it's an incredibly low risk. Going on 12 years or whatever it's been with a jailbroken PS3 and my account is still good.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can store your PS2 ISO's on an external hdd but if you launch one it will be copied to the internal so it can be played. Once you've played it, it can be deleted from the internal but if you play it again it will be copied back to the internal the next time you launch it. In a nutshell they can be stored on the external but to play them, they need to be copied to the internal. PS1 ISO's can be stored and played from external.

You can probably use an external hdd if you have no thumb drives available. The reason a thumb drive is recommended is due to it needing to be fat32 which is much more common and easier to get a thumb drive formatted as fat32.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use the External drive formated to FAT32, to install the CFW/HFW/HEN, and then the package files (IrisMan, WebMan, etc). Then after, you can reformat your external to NTFS and use it for game storage (ISO, JB, Retroarch, etc)

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
WebmanMOD is the most simple loader to use. You can mount ISO's directly in XMB.
Agreed. I prefer it as well since it also supports loading PS1 and PS3 games via network using PS3netsrv. It's possible the other loaders support this as well now but I haven't used anything other than webmanMOD in a long time so I'm not sure.

Mrtonychops

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Q1.

It won't affect or erase them, but you're risking your PSN account being banned. Just don't use it on a hacked console.

Dunno about the other Qs.
I appreciate the concern, but at this point, what exactly is the concern with being banned on ps3? PSN store is closed and I have no interest in playing online with this console anymore. I really just want to use it to play older games. Is there a risk to the games that I already have on my console?
Post automatically merged:

Btw, thank you for all the helpful suggestions! 🙌🏻😎

Reactions: BigOnYa

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate the concern, but at this point, what exactly is the concern with being banned on ps3? PSN store is closed and I have no interest in playing online with this console anymore. I really just want to use it to play older games. Is there a risk to the games that I already have on my console?
Post automatically merged:

Btw, thank you for all the helpful suggestions! 🙌🏻😎
You will be fine. No worries. Just don't sign into PSN and you will be safe. I've been using my PS3 as you described for years now with no ban or problems at all. Online game updates still work also. As far as your installed games- as long as you keep your same internal hdd when you apply new CFW/HFW, the games, and saves will still be available. In fact once you apply the CFW/HFW, you can even backup all your internal hdd installed games to external hdd.

Last edited by BigOnYa,
Reactions: Marc_LFD

JimmyKudo93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I recently came across a video talking about a newer hack for the 4.90 version of PS3. I want to jailbreak the console but I have some questions that I can't find the answer to online:

1. I already have games that I purchased from the PSN store that are stored on my consoles hard drive. Will jailbreaking erase or affect those? For some reason I'm having a really difficult time just logging into the PSN store for some reason so I'm a little apprehensive about doing this if it's going to affect the games that I already have

2. Can I store PS2 iOS files on an external hard drive connected to my PS3 or does it have to be installed directly on the main hard drive?

3. All the tutorials are showing that I should use a thumb drive for the jailbreak, but what I also be able to use an external hard drive with a few gigabytes? Not sure if they're saying to use the thumb drive as an example or a requirement

Thanks in advance
no your games wont be erased nothing will you have to create separate login profile named it homebrew or whatever your choice you log in hen delete sys/call r2+triangle or hold select then log into your main you do risk your account being banned but what i researched no also you cannot play pirated games or dlcs without booting hen and a modded psvita they dont care about that lol

• Haha
Reactions: BigOnYa

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no your games wont be erased nothing will you have to create separate login profile named it homebrew or whatever your choice you log in hen delete sys/call r2+triangle or hold select then log into your main you do risk your account being banned but what i researched no also you cannot play pirated games or dlcs without booting hen and a modded psvita they dont care about that lol
This is incorrect, and hard to read.

Last edited by BigOnYa,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto