PS1/2 Relocating/transferring PS2 Game Saves from multiMAN ISO (PS2 VMC) to PS2 Classic save file

deadgoof

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! I'm new here so apologies if I have posted anything in the wrong place/format.

PS3 CFW 4.89 CEX

I have had multiMAN/webMAN running PS2 games on my CFW PS3 for a few years no problem, but recently I got interested in running the PS2 games via an older method which is converting ISO to PS2 Classic PKG via PS2 Classic GUI. I know this is way more tedious and complicated, but I like the aesthetics of the PS2 Classics far more than the webMAN UI so I am investing the time in it because I want to.

I believe that PS2 Classics store the game saves inside the game folder itself? What's the easiest method here of getting my previous VMC/VME game saves from the XMB PS2 Memory card injected into the PS2 Classic, as there are a few titles I don't want to lose progress on?

Would booting up a PS2 Classic, saving a game at any point be a good starting point, as I imagine this may crate a file path?

TLDR: Just need some help on where to move the PS2 game save files (VMC/VME) on the PS3 to make PS2 Classics recognize the save file, and whether or not the PS2 game saves need to be converted to work with PS2 Classics.

Thanks!

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
believe that PS2 Classics store the game saves inside the game folder itself?
No, although those files you mention are used as base to create the real save (which goes somewhere in your user's home folder, don't remember the exact path)

Anyway, you get 2 VME files (encrypted virtual memory cards) - you need to decrypt them (which should depend on the "content id", if these are homemade PS2 packages they likely use the same license as the "PS2 Classics Launcher", in any case the PS2 package creator that comes with aldostools also does memory cards), then you can add the saves, reencrypt, and copy back to console :)

deadgoof

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, although those files you mention are used as base to create the real save (which goes somewhere in your user's home folder, don't remember the exact path)

Anyway, you get 2 VME files (encrypted virtual memory cards) - you need to decrypt them (which should depend on the "content id", if these are homemade PS2 packages they likely use the same license as the "PS2 Classics Launcher", in any case the PS2 package creator that comes with aldostools also does memory cards), then you can add the saves, reencrypt, and copy back to console :)
Thanks for your help on this :)

Do you know if this is the only to transfer a save over? I already converted all my games without the saves 🥲

Theoretically possible to convert the save using the GUI tool and then transfer it via multiMAN or do I have to have the ISO/ENC key available for the save to encrypt too?

Thanks again :)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No, you don't need the disc image in any form nor the complete package if you didn't change the 2P000001 or whatever option in ps2classics I think :=

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto