Hacking New Super Mario Bros. Wii

habbah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a 4.2u Wii, I have installed ciosCORP 3.5. I downloaded a NTSC version of the NSMB Wii iso, it said it was prepatched. When i tried to launch the disk it just goes back to the wii menu, so i tried patching it myself manually see if that was the problem i used: ppf-o-matic3.exe,New SUPER MARIO BROS. Wii.[NTSC][USA][PATCHED].iso,main.dol.NTSC.ppf . And then burned the iso again and i get the same result. Any Help?

thewiiman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
habbah said:
I have a 4.2u Wii, I have installed ciosCORP 3.5. I downloaded a NTSC version of the NSMB Wii iso, it said it was prepatched. When i tried to launch the disk it just goes back to the wii menu, so i tried patching it myself manually see if that was the problem i used: ppf-o-matic3.exe,New SUPER MARIO BROS. Wii.[NTSC][USA][PATCHED].iso,main.dol.NTSC.ppf . And then burned the iso again and i get the same result. Any Help?

I have seen some NTSC versions out there but not sure why since the PAL version works fine. Had some issues with the PAL (reboot on launching, freezing after 5 min, disc error after 5 min, etc) until I used wiiscrubber with the updated main.dol. Then I had to use uloader 3.1 (since I don't have the USB drive) and hit 2 to boot from DVD. Works great now. The only thing that is bad is I keep losing my hat and I am not sure why. ;-)

FYI: The version I used was the b-nsmbwii iso file running on my 3.2u wii. Only had to load rev 15 to get it to work.

carbonyle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
noabody said:
Just to be clear, from what I am reading there is only one way to run NSMB on a hardmodded Wii without additional softmodding. I define softmodding as "ANY" change to Wii system files. AFAIK HBC/Gecko OS does not change any IOS's so they don't count.

Step 1, prepare an SD card with bannerbomb, Gecko OS, and Gecko cheat codes (optionally HBC, wadmanager, etc.)

Step 2, do any of the following to launch Gecko OS:
Use bannerbomb to install HBC then launch Gecko OS. (HBC opens the world of homebrew with minimal NAND usage)
Use bannerbomb to launch Wadmanager and install Gecko OS as a channel. (Gecko OS channel for minimal NAND usage and one step launching)
Use bannerbomb to launch Gecko OS. (direct launch of Gecko OS, NAND is untouched, use dedicated SD card e.g. no pictures)

Step 3, launch Gecko OS, do not install IOS53, enable ocarina and launch NSMB.

Obviously bannerbomb can be exchanged for twilight hack, etc. It's probably the easiest method though.
I just wanted to be sure that this is correct. I'd like little or no trace of homebrew on NAND.
It seems so, but havent heard report about this. It should work but maybe someone can confirm?

Omega_2

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Wii: Bannerbomb 4.1x

Media:
stock ISO patched with Page 1 post's WiiScrubber/PPF-O-Matic patch tools & guide(Patched the Game's main.dol, not the update)
Burned to TDK DVD-R
NO cioscorp
cIOSrev14
NeoGamma r8b12(suspect the r8b8 may work as well)

runs fine(very short lag/hiccup when transitioning from a pipe/other places, but it doesn't affect gameplay)

moximoore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
European said:
The guide says: "-Use NeoGamma R8Beta13 or above, cIOSrev14, place the included .wip-Patches in /NeoGamma, and enable "Search patches"." but it doesn't say how to use NeoGamma and cIOSrev14. Could you tell me how to use those programs? And where to install them, on the PC or the Wii? I have a Wiikey and the Wii version is 3.4E. I hear updating to 4.2 is bad, so I'd like to avoid it if possible.

Which guide are you referring to? Are you referring to the one in the link I posted? This one: http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-g...od-any-wii.html

Or the one at the beginning of this thread? If it's the link I provided, the download in the faq should have every thing you need including a folder called APPS. That folder will contain Wad Manager v1.4, Truncha bug restorer, preloader v0.29-cred, Firmware-Updater_4.1, and CIOS38_rev 14-Installer. Basically extract NeoGamma from the zip/rar file, and throw the unzipped folder in the apps folder, and it should pop up on the homebrew channel.

lee130580

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just looking at some threads from page one. what is wrong with having newbies ask questions if they dont understand whats going on. im a newbie and if i had a question then i would post in forums to get answers. i thought thats what they where there for

shark1987

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
so i've got a wiikey v1, 3.2 system, and an un-modified copy of the game. I installed NeoGamme R8-B13 last night(haven't messed with any cIOS ever, and haven't been active in wii modding in at least a year) and I played with my gf for like 2 hours last night. But I pop it in tonight and it keeps giving me a disc read error now, and it didn't really sound like the dvd drive was spinning after i popped out the disc and re-inserted it. And then NeoGamma started giving me an DVD Read Err (1048) no cIOS. So I updated NeoGamma to b15 (didn't know I dl'd an old version the first time last night) and I'm still getting the same thing.

What cIOS should I install? I know it said I should have cIOS249, but also read in a forum that I don't need that if I have a modchip. Not sure why it would have worked last night but not tonight.

ScottFalco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried searching around,
but is there anyway to make it so more ? blocks have yoshi eggs
if you have the actual disc/homebrew channel/sd card

Fun_Zephyr

Trophies
XP
Country
carbonyle said:
noabody said:
Just to be clear, from what I am reading there is only one way to run NSMB on a hardmodded Wii without additional softmodding. I define softmodding as "ANY" change to Wii system files. AFAIK HBC/Gecko OS does not change any IOS's so they don't count.

Step 1, prepare an SD card with bannerbomb, Gecko OS, and Gecko cheat codes (optionally HBC, wadmanager, etc.)

Step 2, do any of the following to launch Gecko OS:
Use bannerbomb to install HBC then launch Gecko OS. (HBC opens the world of homebrew with minimal NAND usage)
Use bannerbomb to launch Wadmanager and install Gecko OS as a channel. (Gecko OS channel for minimal NAND usage and one step launching)
Use bannerbomb to launch Gecko OS. (direct launch of Gecko OS, NAND is untouched, use dedicated SD card e.g. no pictures)

Step 3, launch Gecko OS, do not install IOS53, enable ocarina and launch NSMB.

Obviously bannerbomb can be exchanged for twilight hack, etc. It's probably the easiest method though.
I just wanted to be sure that this is correct. I'd like little or no trace of homebrew on NAND.
It seems so, but havent heard report about this. It should work but maybe someone can confirm?

Use bannerbomb to launch Gecko OS. (direct launch of Gecko OS, NAND is untouched, use dedicated SD card e.g. no pictures) - loads Gecko fine but when you launch disk you get code errors and the Wii crashes.)

I tried bannerbomb and launching Gecko prior to installing the HBC and installed teh HBC because Gecko from BannerBomb Failed.

I ended up using the first options ages back:

Could not be happier having HBC installed. snes9x and all those other emulators..... Fantastic - NTSC game compatibility launching through Gecko FANTASTIC.

HBC was the best thing I ever did - and the irony is, I would never have done this if NSMB worked from a 1:1 backup....

OzModChips

Trophies
XP
Country
I wish there was a way to search threads, becuase im sure this has been asked and probably fixed.

Loading an unpatched game via gecko OS with that cheat code is easy, thanks for the fix guys.
However it doesnt seem to work with drivekey, and probably other cable based modchips

Is there anyone that has got it working using gecko OS, unpatched game, and drivekey?

rizzod

Not a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
drivekey are releasing a patch on Monday OzModChips.

Good to see you here too dude.
Man, From MyWii.com.au All the way here to GbaTemp.... Are you stalking me LOL

woodoste

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
I made a clean & full dump of PAL game using RawDump and I patched the iso following this guide.
I burned it on Verbatim DVD-R at 6x using CloneCD (as I'm used to) and played it on NeoGamma r7 autoboot... it works like a charm!!!

WOOOO, tank you so much
bow.gif
bow.gif

No modchip, just a PAL 4.2E softmodded Wii
biggrin.gif
with cIOS v14

OzModChips

Trophies
XP
Country
rizzod said:
drivekey are releasing a patch on Monday OzModChips.

nah, they aren't

they have a new revision of the drivekey, that has NSMB hardcoded in, and the ability for the modchip to look for BCA in a certain part of the disc
so they will be rlsing an app sometime that will allow you to patch the BCA into the ISO
BUT, unless your modchip is able to check for that data, it won't work.

they will also be rlsing an update for the drivekey, but it is a JTAG update, not a DVD update

Magus

GBATEMP RPG MANIAC
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
so bannerbomb let you run homebrew app's without installing them? could i use bannerbomb to run the neogamma loader and then use it with the patched iso?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying