Gaming New PSP revision unveiled at Leipzig

ElChupaNibre

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Doomsday Forte said:
I for one am underwhelmed. Though I already have a PSP that I can use well enough, this doesn't warrant a completely new x000 series. This is like a "oh shit, we forgot about these parts, teehee buy moar plz" on Sony's part.

To be honest, an improved LCD screen is a good enough reason for me to upgrade to this one. But at the same time it is a kick in the teeth for all the people who upgraded to a Slim - less than a year after its release, and Sony unveil yet another, even better, revision. I know Sony are trying to take advantage of the good PSP hardware sales, but all this should really have been in the first revision.

I like the PSP-3000 moniker though, much better sounding than 'PSP Slim & Lite'. And from the screens it looks like they've ditched the glossy finish of the previous PSPs. I'm hoping Japan gets some good colours at launch, not really keen on black/white/silver.

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well that sucks, just bought my PSP Slim in the last month and a half. But now I wonder how many of the new LCD will have stuck/dead pixel issues, I went through 3 Silver PSPs with stuck pixels before I changed over to a red GOW:COO edition and so far so good, but if it takes 4 tries to get a good one its not right.

I for one don't care for the microphone and wonder if the LCD will be swappable into my slim version
wink.gif
It all depends though

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
DarkRey said:
QUOTE said:
How long till it'll be hackable then? Because that'll probably be the only that will stop me from getting one.
until someone buy a psp-300 and try to pandora it and see if it hacked or not

You need to try it to tell?
blink.gif

How much sense would it make for Sony to ship a new PSP revision that's hackable, when they already redesigned the motherboard to be unhackable (for now)?

QUOTE(feds4u @ Aug 20 2008, 10:05 PM)
Sony just screwed anyone who bought a PSP in the past year.

Thanks Sony!

mad.gif
What? No, they didn't. Stop being frustrated and start thinking straight
lecture.gif

Do you expect Sony to print warnings on the PSP packaging that say "Better wait for our next revision of the PSP"?

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
this sounds like a joke, there isnt even a 3rd ds version.

i think this was done mainly to stop hacked psp's once and for all.

bobfernando

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lenselijer said:

Do you truly believe that it will be completely unhackable?
DaX or someone WILL find a way. There's always a way to softmod or hack a system. Ok I shouldn't say ALWAYS. But dont you think "they" will find a way?

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
feds4u said:
QUOTE said:
The new PSP retains the size and features of the current, slimmed-down PSP (PSP-2000), while incorporating some hardware updates:

* The LCD screen will have a wider color gamut and higher contrast ratio to deliver deeper, more vibrant colors, as well as anti-reflection technology so you can see the screen more clearly when playing outdoors. As you all know, the PSP’s screen is a key strength of the hardware, and this update adds an absolutely dazzling LCD screen to the handheld.

* A built-in microphone allows for Skype calls and multi-player gaming communication directly from the hardware - eliminating the need for attaching a separate headset.

Thanks Sony!

mad.gif

Not really! I got one less than a week ago on an insane steal of a deal with a crapload of games (a slim.) All you're getting is a built in microphone which coming from someone with a DS since day one isn't that great for various reasons, and the screen on the slim is fine. The reflection off it is nicer than the original, and I suppose it would be nice not to see your face in it when on a black screen or off, it's not a huge deal, and most people I doubt take their PSP out in direct sunlight and sit on the grass and shoot things or whatever for hours on end and it works fine in a car. The wider color gamut would brighten up things some, that's the one good thing going, but it's by far not hosing anyone with a slim.

I'd say it's great news for one with an original one as you get the best of slim and those little perks, but if you own a slim it's not a big deal at all unless you don't have a mic already and play mostly in direct sunlight.

atomiccow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Enjoy your new and nearly unhackable PSPs.

I say "nearly unhackable" because I'm sure it won't be impossible, it will just be really hard and/or inconvenient.

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bobfernando said:
lenselijer said:

Do you truly believe that it will be completely unhackable?
DaX or someone WILL find a way. There's always a way to softmod or hack a system. Ok I shouldn't say ALWAYS. But dont you think "they" will find a way?

Yeah, I think so too. Everything will be hacked, even if it takes some soldering!

(Hey, I've seen that avatar on another forum :\ hmm?)

ElChupaNibre

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vampire Hunter D said:
feds4u said:
QUOTE said:
The new PSP retains the size and features of the current, slimmed-down PSP (PSP-2000), while incorporating some hardware updates:

* The LCD screen will have a wider color gamut and higher contrast ratio to deliver deeper, more vibrant colors, as well as anti-reflection technology so you can see the screen more clearly when playing outdoors. As you all know, the PSP’s screen is a key strength of the hardware, and this update adds an absolutely dazzling LCD screen to the handheld.

* A built-in microphone allows for Skype calls and multi-player gaming communication directly from the hardware - eliminating the need for attaching a separate headset.

Thanks Sony!

mad.gif

Not really! I got one less than a week ago on an insane steal of a deal with a crapload of games (a slim.) All you're getting is a built in microphone which coming from someone with a DS since day one isn't that great for various reasons, and the screen on the slim is fine. The reflection off it is nicer than the original, and I suppose it would be nice not to see your face in it when on a black screen or off, it's not a huge deal, and most people I doubt take their PSP out in direct sunlight and sit on the grass and shoot things or whatever for hours on end and it works fine in a car. The wider color gamut would brighten up things some, that's the one good thing going, but it's by far not hosing anyone with a slim.

I'd say it's great news for one with an original one as you get the best of slim and those little perks, but if you own a slim it's not a big deal at all unless you don't have a mic already and play mostly in direct sunlight.

Nah, I strongly disagree. For me, the screen refresh rate is the biggest problem with the original PSP, and it really should have been fixed in the PSP Slim.

Basically, what's happened is this: PSP software sales are down, and hardware sales are up since the release of the PSP Slim. The machine's been selling like crazy in Japan over the last few months, even beating the Wii & DS on many occasions. So Sony are trying to maximise hardware sales as much as possible, and by releasing new and improved models, they gain extra sales from a lot of people who already own a PSP.

And of course, making it unhackable might boost software sales in the short term, but I'm sure even Sony realise that the machine will eventually be hacked. Software sales are probably not the priority any more, but hardware is. It was the only way to stop being the PSP becoming a complete sales flop against the DS.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't give the PSP so much credit, the reason it popped into #1 for so long was exclusively Monster Hunter and that's slid finally. Sometimes all it takes it one game to sell millions, FF7 did it for them a decade ago.

Far as the screen refresh I have not noticed it to be a problem in the titles I have, and the rumor the slim can't work in sunlight is bs as that was busted a few hours ago in the car with sunlight hitting it while doing a family guy umd.

ElChupaNibre

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Family Guy = cartoon with bright colours.

Try playing a dark game when it's light outside. Something like God of War is often unplayable, even at the full brightness settings.

Doggy124

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thailand
Friendo said:
Cool. I need to replace my phat PSP. It has 2 pixels out and a few scratches.
cry.gif

Not to mention my birthday is in October, so I can get one as a present! Hopefully... lol.
Hey, I just remember that my birthday is in October too.
yaypsp.gif

I might get one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Not as scary as walking in the woods alone, and running into Wario.