New Paper Mario: The Origami King trailer gives a closer look at the game

With just a little over a month to go before the release of a brand new Paper Mario game, Nintendo has decided to give fans a more detailed look at what the game has to offer. This five-minute trailer shows some of the new locations Mario will be exploring, the companions he'll be travelling with, the battle system, and more. Kamek, Bowser, and Bowser Jr. will also be a part of some of the characters you'll meet throughout your journey. Paper Mario: The Origami King will be launching soon, on July 17th.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Closer look? Showing the whole game in a trailer is no closer look.
The game is looking absolutely massive, I don't think you have to worry about a 5-minute trailer showing everything there is to see. It's just a surface-level introduction to some of the locations and characters.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The game is looking absolutely massive, I don't think you have to worry about a 5-minute trailer showing everything there is to see. It's just a surface-level introduction to some of the locations and characters.
I hope you are right. But they showed too much for my taste.

Last edited by Bimmel,

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The new trailer unfortunately shows battles are item based rather than skill, badge and ability based. And heart pieces it seems are hidden throughout the game to increase hp. So battles may been made meaningless since they may not be used to level up.

Why does Nintendo keep doing this crap with everything? Either it be consoles themselves or the games. They always screw-up by making them either gimmicky or overly simplified or removing and replacing features we love with crap! F this crap! i want my money back from my digital pre order!

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The new trailer unfortunately shows battles are item based rather than skill, badge and ability based. And heart pieces it seems are hidden throughout the game to increase hp. So battles may been made meaningless since they may not be used to level up.

Why does Nintendo keep doing this crap with everything? Either it be consoles themselves or the games. They always screw-up by making them either gimmicky or overly simplified or removing and replacing features we love with crap! F this crap! i want my money back from my digital pre order!
okay, right.

I can understand the dislike for this system, but like. Why did you digitally pre order it with those concerns in mind? This stuff isn't new. They've been changing it up since Super Paper Mario. You gain nothing from a digital pre order, and only stand to lose because, as I'm sure you've found out, you can't get it refunded.

I just want to understand the thought process here. What was there to gain?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why they have to switch the combat system in EVERY SINGLE PAPER MARIO GAME?
Obviously TTYD has the same system as the first game..?

Is really so hard to be consistent like the Mario & Louigi series was?
The first three M&L games each have some pretty significant twists compared to one another, I think. Maybe Dream Team did as well, but it was such a profoundly disappointing slog; I don't think they changed enough compared to Bowser's Inside Story.

You gain nothing from a digital pre order, and only stand to lose because, as I'm sure you've found out, you can't get it refunded.

I just want to understand the thought process here. What was there to gain?
I have spent years utterly baffled by why anyone would want to buy a game at launch anymore.

Last edited by Kwyjor,

WiiHomebrew+Snes

Member of GBAtemp's shadow district
Trophies
Website
www.lucar.io
XP
Country
United States
line them up BEFORE TIME RUNS OUT
that's all i need to know. skipping this

Pretty sure it's only when you're lineing crap up, which is better then the whole battle being timed. But yeah one use attacks suck and there's still way to many toads...

Reactions: Jellykrop

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm well I said if it had badges and partners i'd give it a chance. At least we can confirm they finally brought back partners.

Looks pretty interesting and cute. The bosses look meh design-wise but oh well. The actual fights look like that could be fun.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it shows that at all. It clearly shows battles being fought using abilities. Are there items too? Sure, but imo you're over analyzing it before more is known.

How is it over analyzing anything with they said u choose items to attack with preceded to show mario jumping? They never once use the words abilities and skills. Only items. it’s clear the translators of the chinese and japan trailers were wrong. It’s sticker star like situation all over again. They even pointed out only some partners will join in some battles. Nintendo aren’t stupid, they held back the full battle system from English speaking regions for a month to get early pre orders. Knowing full well only their hardcore fans from Japan would like it. this was clearly a bait and switch move from nintendo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @rqkaiju2, Physical media is a great source for archiving your data, none of that cloud storage shiz.
    +1
    [squeezes @SylverReZ onto a physical media, then archives you in my old stuff box] :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, Lmao +1