New Paper Mario: The Origami King trailer gives a closer look at the game

With just a little over a month to go before the release of a brand new Paper Mario game, Nintendo has decided to give fans a more detailed look at what the game has to offer. This five-minute trailer shows some of the new locations Mario will be exploring, the companions he'll be travelling with, the battle system, and more. Kamek, Bowser, and Bowser Jr. will also be a part of some of the characters you'll meet throughout your journey. Paper Mario: The Origami King will be launching soon, on July 17th.

Worldblender

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have some more stuff from https://reddit.com/comments/h7kaop/comment/fulj2cv:
The Nintendo UK site confirms that weapons break over time and you have to replace them.
2dfad5b049e30e2e204c12d5c549499f.jpg

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch/Paper-Mario-The-Origami-King-1782440.html#Gameplay

They also showed this picture of the weapons/equipment menu.
NSwitch_PaperMarioTheOrigamiKing_Gameplay_Carousel_Scr_03.png

Reactions: raxadian and Xzi

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And here's Arlo's analysis of the new trailer:

It seems that this still won't be a proper full return to form, but more of a "half-step", as he said in the video. And timed battles? Yeah, still not keeping my expectations pretty high for this one yet. His video of Bug Fables seems inviting, though.

Last edited by MushGuy,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've read comments that even Color Splash could have been a much better game if they had just made a few tweaks to the basic gameplay. Is it really worth devoting 15 minutes to analyzing a 5-minute trailer?

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The timed part applies only during the ring movement part. It is possible to buy more time using coins. Once the time is over, you'll be given the opportunity to chose what move to use. That part isn't timed, and you can idle on that section without worry.

Mmm, but can you level up?

I don't want battles to just use items and not leveling up, it makes them pointless.

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Wasn't there a severe game crash in Pokemon X/Y when it was first released? And Skyward Sword had something bad enough that they had to release a special app on the Wii shop to fix it.

yes. there a glitch in skyward sword that "At a certain point toward the end of the game, while collecting pieces of a certain Song, you're tasked with visiting the Fire, Water and Thunder Dragons in any order you choose. If you visit the Thunder Dragon first – and speak to a certain Goron adventurer more than once – you'll find that you can no longer trigger the Fire and Water Dragon events."

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Worldblender

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so fighting wont make you level up what the fuck
ok im now just waiting for ninjala
edit: i see a pattern here zelda:items break acnh:items break origami king:items fucking break
Disposable items have existed since the first game. But if you can't level up or attack without weapons then fuck this game.
In this game, the basic boots and hammer are permanent weapons that never break. Enhanced versions of them do however, but the basic versions can be seen as a fallback in case one has no other weapons to use. It is possible to increase max health with HP Up mushrooms, and there is a screen for accessories that likely can be bought with coins. It may be possible that coins have basically replaced the functionality of leveling up and EXP, as various screenshots show different amounts of HP and coins collected.
It's not all that bad, but not everything got shown in order to not spoil the whole game.

Last edited by Worldblender,
Reactions: medoli900 and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Disposable items have existed since the first game. But if you can't level up or attack without weapons then fuck this game.
Not sure how much clearer the blurb can make it: you always have the base-level boots and hammer to serve as your unlimited basic attacks. Only advanced attacks/items can "break" which essentially serves as a limiter much in the same way mana points would.

Reactions: medoli900

forerofore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Not sure how much clearer the blurb can make it: you always have the base-level boots and hammer to serve as your unlimited basic attacks. Only advanced attacks/items can "break" which essentially serves as a limiter much in the same way mana points would.
The problem is that there is essentially no rpg system. Just items and coins, there is no complexity, I bought sticker star and didn't get past chapter 1 due to that.
It's too easy, like Kirby's epic yarn

Reactions: raxadian

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that there is essentially no rpg system. Just items and coins, there is no complexity, I bought sticker star and didn't get past chapter 1 due to that.
That does seem to be the case, though it isn't confirmed yet. Then again, not everything needs RPG elements to be enjoyable. If it's chock full of collectibles, mini-games, platforming segments and etc instead, I'm perfectly fine with that.

It's too easy, like Kirby's epic yarn
I'll reserve judgment on that for now. The time limit for battles actually seems a fair bit more unforgiving than I originally thought it would be. Hopefully there's some sort of rating system in there too.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
In this game, the basic boots and hammer are permanent weapons that never break. Enhanced versions of them do however, but the basic versions can be seen as a fallback in case one has no other weapons to use. It is possible to increase max health with HP Up mushrooms, and there is a screen for accessories that likely can be bought with coins. It may be possible that coins have basically replaced the functionality of leveling up and EXP, as various screenshots show different amounts of HP and coins collected.
It's not all that bad, but not everything got shown in order to not spoil the whole game.

So far it sounds too much like Sticker Star, but with "breakable stickers", for my taste.
Then again, not everything needs RPG elements to be enjoyable. If it's chock full of collectibles, mini-games, platforming segments and etc instead

The series started with RPG elements and the most popular games of the series have RPG elements.

Last edited by raxadian,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all