ROM Hack New Metroid Bros.

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been building the game a lot lately. All levels are built. There are some HUGE surprises that none of the early revisions come close to hinting at. The levels are bigger, better, have more to them, and will do a lot more than the original New Super Mario Bros. had in it. In fact there is very little left of the NSMB game.

Anyway I wanted to release this game earlier, but when it is released, you will see why I chose to continue hacking the old rom. So I promise, I am putting ALL of my spare time into this, and will continue until it is finished. I am averaging around 40+hours a week. This will not die or be abandoned, and will be worth the wait.

I really need beta testers here to debug and test. All of you will have different ideas, ways of playing the game, and input that I will never come up with on my own. PM and I will send a test version so that you can be on the beta tester team.

JordanB500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry bout this but i read early about the patching problem i have it too so can u re-release the oen that was already released just with a fix for the patch cuz i really want to get into it alpha, beta idk also not to be offtopic here but is tehre a forum thread or site that has a bunch of nsmb hacks and nds hacks in general cuz i am kinda goin for a collection lol

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JordanB500 said:
sorry bout this but i read early about the patching problem i have it too so can u re-release the oen that was already released just with a fix for the patch cuz i really want to get into it alpha, beta idk also not to be offtopic here but is tehre a forum thread or site that has a bunch of nsmb hacks and nds hacks in general cuz i am kinda goin for a collection lol

The hack is getting closer and closer to completion. There is so much changed now, that it isn't worth re-releasing the old beta. I have gotten a "cleaner" rom to base the hack from. There was a miniscule difference for some reason in the one I had used before. That is why it worked sometimes and other not. Anyway, if you are interested in playing it sooner, you can beta test for me. Send me a PM and I'll send a link. But, I would hope in that case that you would play through the game and write back with suggestions.

The hack is getting really good now. There is a lot more to this hack than just the original Metroid. I promise that you will all be amazed at the levels in this. Of all the hacks, this one has almost no New Super Mario Bros. left. The graphics are all custom. I kept most of the Mario sprites, but even some of those are changed. Anyone into retro Nintendo games will find a lot of surprises.

Anyway, still spending all my free time on this. Easily 30 hrs. plus a week. The final release is coming soon.

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^^^ Also for the other NSMB hacks, most do not get far as these hacks take months and months to build and debug. In fact, mine is still ongoing as you can see. SKJmin is getting closer to his new revision of NSMB3. He has spent months now revising, debugging, adding new levels etc. His new release will be epic as well. I think the two of us have some sort if disorder or something with all the time and effort we put into these.

STILL LOOKING FOR BETA TESTERS! Really, guys all I am asking is for you to play a video game, and then send me an email telling me what you think. This hack is the real deal. The last revision is nothing like this one. There are so many surprises in this, that I am sure this will be one of the all time great NDS hacks.

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will be releasing another beta by the end of the week. It will be the final beta. After that the full version will be released. The full game is almost done.

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maninder said:
I have patched it and now have got a .xdelta file again, it doesn't work on my TTDS/YSMENU so what should I do?

I am almost ready for the next release. I was ready last weekend, but I have added a new feature that is huge. You will not recognize the game from past revisions. I am hoping to be done with the beta by the end of the weekend. Really need some beta testers here. I have a lot of work ahead and want to get to the final release. If you are willing to beta test, I will send you a link Maninder. PM if interested.

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is my final beta.
http://www.mediafire.com/?75ca52kitys4583

After this will be the full version. There are many changes in this revision....too many to list. This is only the first 2 worlds. But, the final World is built, just not in this release. I am debugging it and adding areas. I will be adding more to the game in the next month or two leading up to the final release.

If you have played this before, make sure and start at the beginning. You will miss a lot if you don't. This is the whole reason I am releasing this...to get feedback before the final version. World 1 level 1-1 is a sneak peak at what is to come in the final version. Make sure and play it. Check out the red mushroom house as well.

World 8 (the final world) is turning out amazing. It is even better than these 2 worlds in this release. It is about twice the size as well.

IMO this game will be one of the best DS hacks ever.

The beta test offer is still out there. PM if interested.

TestAcc84

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WOW!!

I've downloaded it and played through the first world!
Let me say some things to you!

WHAT THE HELL DID YOU MAKE!!
This sir, is one of the best hacks EVER!

Never thought to play these old Metroid levels with Mario
biggrin.gif

I played SKJmin's hack, I played girdattack's hack, I played NSMB_PRO's hack, but I never had more fun as in yours!

And I can't believe that no one is giving any feedback to you!
They all must be blind!

To tell the truth, even I was'nt interested in this, but now I'm happy to have downloaded this sick game!!
I see you are really far with your progress! World 7 completed already
smile.gif

Your Contra and Castlevania levels are so fu**ing awesome!!

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KillerMiller said:
I can't get it to work on my EZ-Flash Vi (Kernel 3.0 Open Beta 6, Firmware 104)
When i start the first stage it goes into blackscreen, but on emulation it works, so the patch is correctly applied I guess.
Any tips?

Patch is correct yes. Actually, I have no way of testing on an EZ Flash card. Could you see if there is an update or something else that fixes it?

Try re-installing your software, and the rom. Let me know what happens.

There is nothing I can do though.

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will be adding new screenshots and video in the next couple days. The old ones are nothing like the hack is now. So... if any of you are thinking you have already played this, there are huge changes now.

And to the guy above... there is a chance that some cards have troubles with my hack. My hack has so much data added that they may not be able to keep up. Some cards may be looking for a certain file size. Mine is huge...bigger than all the other hacks. All tilesets and backgrounds are custom and changed. Email the guys that make you cards software and ask them to increase the file size allowed for NSMB. It is easy to do. Most cards will work now though.

This is not just a Metroid game. There are so many easter eggs and other games in this, it is crazy. The levels are virtually bug free minus one or two areas I am still building.

Final release is still coming soon... There will be more huge changes in the works.

BUT, I need you guys to try this revision out and give feedback.

thund3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow ! amazing graphics work ! i don't recognize new super mario bros. keep going and i hope you will edit all levels from mario.

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New screenshots added to first post...

There is a lot more ahead...This is just a small taste of what is finished and in the game. I am still building levels and adding features.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Great work luckwii! Will play the new revision later and give feedback then
smile.gif

Anyone who hasn't played it really misses one of the greatest hacks out there. It's so different and surprising. Don't underestimate it and give it a play. You won't be disappointed!

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay...I lied.

One More HUGE Revision!
New Metroid Bros. (.145)
You guys have to see this. I have added some Metroid Fusion sprites into the hack.

There are a lot of other hacked sprites in this as well. But this is something I have been working on for a long time and finally got working.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Though seeing the X-Parasites in the hack is really cool, I think they don't fit as coins. I would change that back. Instead of X you could use the energy capsules from Metroid as coins.

The first level is really great now with the Zero Mission part
smile.gif

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SpaceJump said:
Though seeing the X-Parasites in the hack is really cool, I think they don't fit as coins. I would change that back. Instead of X you could use the energy capsules from Metroid as coins.

The first level is really great now with the Zero Mission part
smile.gif

I tried the energy capsules, but they are too small. When you try to grab them, you miss sometimes. They were really clumsy. I know you are a by the book Metroid fan as am I, but I have strayed from the original Metroid theme a lot in the newest builds. It is the baseline for the hack, but all the 2D Metroid games have a place in the levels and gameplay. The X parasites will grow on you, trust me. There are more surprises with them. I have removed almost everything Mario Bros. from the game. Only thing staying is most enemies, and Mario/Luigi.

But keep up the critiques, I really appreciate them. Come on guys keep em coming, positive and negative. Help support my hack and the hacking community.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thinking about it in Fusion you actually are able to "collect" the X, so as you say I may get used to them as coins. It was just a surprise to see them after I defeated an enemy
wink.gif

Again GBAtempers, check this hack out. You really are missing a great hack here and all the hard work luckwii spent shoudn't go unnoticed!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: