Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This got me to play the first game again.

It is just miles ahead of most modern games, the production, ideas, everything. This is what Nintendo does best and this is why we get pissy when they palm the likes of Wii Music off on us.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Looks good. Can't wait for it to be released. I'll need to start playing the older one again before it comes out.
smile.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first game was simply perfect. Nintendo has done a lot of shit to gaming in the past few years but Super Mario Galaxy is one of the few things that they got right. Just some mind-bending mechanics with using differing gravity and planets to platform on was revolutionary. This one looks just as good. It makes you double guess if the Wii has "bad" graphics or even if it's not a HD console.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Hadrian said:
This got me to play the first game again.

It is just miles ahead of most modern games, the production, ideas, everything. This is what Nintendo does best and this is why we get pissy when they palm the likes of Wii Music off on us.
Who needs a PS3 with a "new" Call of Duty 59 when we can have this? Nintendo rules! (When they're trying, at least.)

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Freaking...awesome!

The first Mario Galaxy just blew me away. When I played it, it didn't even feel like I was playing the Wii. It felt like I was playing the PS3/Xbox 360. The graphics, the gameplay, and the story was just pure win.

I absolutely can't wait for this to get dumped.

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
The original Super Mario Galaxy is IMHO one of the smartest games ever; using the limitations of a console to create a whole new universe for one of the most beloved franchises -there's a reason for the game to be set in outer space- and creating a new gameplay style, based on this universe, AND THEN to come up with a control scheme that is perfect for the combination of all this factors and that never feels gimmicky or out of place.

Super Mario Galaxy is the game that defines what Wii games should be all about.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Bladexdsl said:
Brian117 said:
just don't go downloading it when it does cos i doubt it will work straight away on anything
tongue.gif

Good point, although they might not have implemented anything better than the BCA protection by the time of the release (Which is already cracked). We'll just have to wait and see.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
Brian117 said:
just don't go downloading it when it does cos i doubt it will work straight away on anything
tongue.gif

Yeah no doubt. But I know to wait a while after a big game is dumped because there's bound to be AP on it. So I just keep browsing my "sites" until either a patch, or a new NeoGamma loader is released.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm stunned, excited, and pleased. I also noticed in the old e3 trailer that they weren't using orchestrated music, but here, i can't even tell if they're using ultra high quality midi or orchestrated. And did anyone else notice that the wiimote pointer seems to be absent unless you are on yoshi? I think they got rid of it for Mario's gameplay. Wonder if that means pullstars and starbit pointing collection will be absent. Obviously, the yoshi gameplay looks to have replaced the pullstars.

I STILL can't believe the Wii can do such glorious graphics. The higher resolution of the bigger consoles aside, this truly looks like a 360 or PS3 game. I'd even say it looks better than a lot of their games (at least when it comes to colorful platformers or whatever). It's amazing. Either the Wii is being pushed to its absolute fullest, or PS360 developers aren't pushing their systems at all...
tongue.gif

The first Galaxy was a miracle of programmer IMHO. Loved the gravity and everything felt perfect. This looks even BETTER. What effort they put into games, makes me teary eyed (almost).

Oh goody! Orchestral music is confirmed- http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=115388

I guess the early versions just used midi for development reasons. I knew it sounded higher quality than midi. I LOVED the orchestral sound in Galaxy 1!
happy.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GoNintendo's Hands On:
QUOTE said:
Here's what I learned from my multiple hands-on sessions with Super Mario Galaxy 2...

1. I think this game may actually look better than the original Galaxy (visuals)
2. Having Yoshi in a Galaxy setting is so much fun that it seems criminal
3. The level designs for Galaxy 2 are way more outlandish than the original. It seems like these worlds were designed for ultimate fun, without a worry for landform designs that would make sense in real life.
4. Galaxy 2 is, from what I played, measurably harder than the original
5. I want the finished game now...VERY badly

I played Super Mario Galaxy 2 more than any other title at the summit. I actually went through all the levels that were up for demo, and there were quite a few. I was and still am shocked with just how far Nintendo has taken the level design from the first game. I'm telling you, these layouts were far superior in imagination and design than the ones in Galaxy. Keep in mind, I thought Galaxy was a near perfect game! I just simply couldn't get enough to traversing the worlds, and exploring every little nook and cranny. I think I can hear the demo calling for me right now...

Easily the best part of the whole demo was getting to take Yoshi along for the ride. I always love when Yoshi makes an appearance, and having his abilities upgraded for Galaxy 2 was just the icing on the cake. Using the Wiimote pointer to grab things with Yoshi's tongue is going to make it hard to go back to classic-style Yoshi. You can instantly snatch up any enemies that are remotely close to you. Sure, Yoshi's tongue seems to have grown a bit longer during this process, but that's just fine by me!

I really don't want to ruin the game for you, but I absolutely have to describe one of the Yoshi levels I played. It's basically set up as a massive rollercoaster for you to ride Yoshi through. Yoshi turns into a steam-powered racer when he eats one of the red peppers scatted throughout the level. I think that's what they were...but that's beside the point. When Yoshi eats one, he takes off running, and you have to guide him down a path. These ramps lead to portions of the path that run straight up walls, around enemies and all over the air. You'll also have to keep Yoshi on solid ground as you do all this, as you're often running on platforms that are surrounded by nothing but black holes. Along the way you're snatching enemies with your tongue, grabbing other goodies, and trying to find the right path to your star. Talking about how much fun this was does the game zero justice.

If you thought the above description made Super Mario Galaxy 2 sound a bit more difficult than the original, I'd have agree. I definitely found more of a challenge in this game than Galaxy. There were very few points in the original that gave me a challenge, but this demo time was filled with stages that really tested my skills. There was one stage in particular that had me collecting 100 purple coins in 4 minutes, which were scattered about on twist-flipping platforms. You spin in the air, and the platforms flip to another position. Grab all the coins in the time limit, spin to create a path, and do all this while chain chomps roll out of tunnels after you. I managed to beat the level with just 24 seconds left, and my hands were sweating/heart was pounding. This is EXACTLY the kind of challenge I want in my Galaxy!

When Miyamoto discussed how he and his developers didn't even scratch the surface with the ideas that Galaxy opened up, he was telling the truth. This demo really showed me just how far Nintendo could take the Galaxy idea. It's being pushed in new directions, stretched in ways that I could have never thought of. When its all boiled down, does it just equate to more Galaxy? I guess I'd have to say yes...but that's exactly what I wanted.

So its bigger, prettier, more fun, has Yoshi AND is harder...its got to be even better.
wub.gif

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wow Galaxy 2 seems to be amazing. I thought Galaxy 1 already had some ridiculously fun Planets but now it seems that they took it up a notch with even crazier and more beautiful environments.

Yoshis controls seems to be great and I think it was a great choice to use the pointer for aiming the projectiles Yoshi swallows. I`m also glad, that the brought the fruits back. That was a great part of Sunshine.

There also seems to be a SMSunshine oriented Planet. At least that`s what it looks like in one of the Sceens! (Sunshine Love FTW - seriously it was an amazing game and needs more appreciation
wink.gif
)

Hopefully the HUB-World is a little more interesting this time around. I thought SMG was perfect but the HUB-World was a little lacking, in comparison to SM64 or SMSunshine...

I think this is my Most wanted title of 2010, since I absolutely love the first one.

PS: I hoped, that they would rename the game to Super Mario Universe but with the new improved logo I guess I`ll be fine with Super Mario Galaxy 2
tongue.gif

mayhem366

Trophies
XP
Country
Yay, this looks amazing, gonna break out the original and hopefully complete it.

Speaking of which, anyone got a half completed save that they are willing to share? Lost mine when my wi was stolen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Gallium Arsenic Nitride :P lol