Back.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
After seeing alot of discussion on forums, game review sites, etc. about there being no place for newer IP's anymore, I've decided I've had enough and I'd like to talk about this.

In a market flooded with sequels (GTA4, MGS4, RE5, Halo 3, CoD 4, and so many more...), there is a stigma associated with releasing a brand new IP. People seem to think that they are doomed to drown in the wave of constant sequels being brought out by companies who are too afraid to try something new. I disagree with this way of thinking however. With all of the great new IP's launched this year and the year before (Phoenix Wright, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Gears of War, and I could go on and on), the future is looking brighter for anyone looking for a refreshing gameplay experience rather then going back to the same old franchises over and over.

Now some of the new IP's are the same tried and true genres, but at least they attempt to be different.

Any thoughts?

- Fitzy

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
there is a stigma associated with releasing a brand new IP. People seem to think that they are doomed to drown in the wave of constant sequels being brought out by companies who are too afraid to try something new.
Well, I wouldn't say there's any actual negative stigmata associated with original content, except for skepticism, which is usual whenever anything new is announced.

I understand people saying there's nothing but sequels out at the moment, because you certainly get that feeling when you look at the current titles. And I understand the companies that make all those sequels, too.

Releasing something entirely new is a gamble. It takes more time, work and money, than just making sequels to games that have sold well. Better to stick with something tried and true than to gamble with something new and risk wasting a lot of money (more and more money as the hardware gets more powerful and games development gets more expensive) on a game that has a fair chance to flop. (So if your game turns out to be a hit, hammer out several sequels immediately. Using the same engine, minimum code tweaking optional. And then maybe a limited edition collector's edition.)

And since setting, story and characters are a vital part of a game, even if you have to make a whole new game out of scratch, like for example when switching consoles, it's safer to stick with what works, i.e. popular characters from your previous games. Nintendo and Sega, for example, are infamous for that. So that's why there are so many sequels and same-ish games around, and understandably so. Developing a new game is becoming more and more expensive. With so much money at stake, it's no wonder that companies stick to making sequels.

But of course there are new games coming out. New companies have to develop their own new games, but large sequel-monger companies also work on new ideas. While tried and true franchises can be beaten like a dead horse for quite some time, their appeal will fade some day, and there's always a chance that the next game will be a big hit (new blood to spawn several dozen sequels). After all, every franchise has to start somewhere. So there is always an influx of new titles, and always something new to try out. There will always be sequels, but we definitely won't drown in them
happy.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just thought I would mention Phoenix Wright aka Gyakuten Saiban is a long standing series in Japan (2001 the GBA version appeared according to a quick search) and Bioshock was billed as the spiritual sucessor to the legendary series System Shock (be that marketing double speak or not I will leave up to you all).

As for new IP provided decent updates appear (Resident Evil 4 being my favourite example in recent times) I am happy to play both. It has to be said though the more I played Gears of War the more I grew to dislike it.

JKR Firefox

Back.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Just thought I would mention Phoenix Wright aka Gyakuten Saiban is a long standing series in Japan (2001 the GBA version appeared according to a quick search) and Bioshock was billed as the spiritual sucessor to the legendary series System Shock (be that marketing double speak or not I will leave up to you all).

As for new IP provided decent updates appear (Resident Evil 4 being my favourite example in recent times) I am happy to play both. It has to be said though the more I played Gears of War the more I grew to dislike it.

I know PW has been around for a while but it hasn't been out here that long and when it hit it became very popular after a while because people here were surprised to play a game which involves mostly reading and no real gameplay could actually be fun. Bioshock was said to be a successor to SS in some ways, even carrying over some gameplay mechanics and whatnot, but it was an entirely new IP.

I do agree with you that when a franchise is completely reworked (RE4, Super Mario Galaxy, and others), then it is much appreciated.

- Fitzy

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's definitely hard to release a new IP and be just as succesful. But Assasin's Creed is a new IP. However you can see two things. One, it is loosely based on an existing IP (Prince of Persia). And two, they expected from the start to turn it into an IP, and planned to release sequels.

JKR Firefox

Back.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It's definitely hard to release a new IP and be just as succesful. But Assasin's Creed is a new IP. However you can see two things. One, it is loosely based on an existing IP (Prince of Persia). And two, they expected from the start to turn it into an IP, and planned to release sequels.

Agreed. I almost felt as if I was playing PoP a few times while playing the game. But that is to be expected when developing new IP's. The developers borrow from other games they've made or other genres to mold the product into what they want it to be.

- Fitzy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :) +1