New fiscal year results show that the Nintendo Switch has sold 55.77 million units worldwide

nintendo-switch-3-656x369.jpg

Nintendo has updated its sales figures with the information from the latest edition of its quarterly results, bringing Nintendo Switch hardware sales to a new milestone. In the published results, we can see that Nintendo's net sales were up 9% compared to last fiscal year, leading to a total of 1.308 billion yen (12.2 million USD). Both hardware and software sales exceeded the company's predictions, as Pokemon Sword and Shield and Animal Crossing: New Horizons broke records and performed incredibly well in terms of sales. Nintendo also cited COVID-19 as a reason for limited production of hardware in certain regions, though this apparently did not drastically affect the final two months of the fiscal year. Overall, Switch console sales were up 24% year over year, selling 21.03 million units, while software sales were up 42.3%, totalling 168.72 million.

The Nintendo 3DS saw a dramatic decrease in sales, reaching only 0.69 million units--a 73% decrease. On the other hand, digital subscription sales and digital download sales were up a massive 71.8%. As of March 2020, the Nintendo Switch has sold a lifetime amount of 55.77 million systems worldwide, surpassing both the GameCube and Nintendo 64, combined.

(1) Operating results for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2020 For the fiscal year ended March 31, 2020, Nintendo Switch Lite launched in September as a compact, lightweight, and easy-to-carry dedicated handheld system, and Nintendo Switch performed very well without losing momentum, resulting in significant sales growth for the entire Nintendo Switch family. Looking at software, Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield became big hits, posting sales of 17.37 million units, and Animal Crossing: New Horizons, released in March, sold 11.77 million units, which is now the best start ever for a Nintendo Switch title. In addition to titles like Luigi’s Mansion 3 and Super Mario Maker 2 that were released during this fiscal year, sales also continued to grow steadily for popular titles released in previous fiscal years and for titles from other software publishers. The total number of million-seller titles during this fiscal year reached 27 titles, including those from other software publishers. Nintendo Switch also launched in China through Tencent Holdings Limited in December. Because of COVID-19, production and shipments of the Nintendo Switch console, accessories like the Joy-Con controllers, and Ring Fit Adventure faced delays in some regions from February through March, but this only had limited impact on business results for this fiscal year

:arrow: Source

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Homebrew on Switch is extremely easy if you have the proper model and compared to the Wii U's homebrew, the Switch has already surpassed it.
Wii U's homebrew is far more accessible- the switch's homebrew userbase is incredibly small since it only really works on pre july 2018 models/non ipatched switches. Plus even with the new sx lite chip coming out, that's still limited since the amount of people that can use it are limited to people who know how to solder. Acessibility is the main problem here- having a better homebrew scene is nothing if barely anyone can use it.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Deleted User

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While annoying, it hardly compares to red ring

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/07/poll_is_your_nintendo_switch_cracking_under_the_pressure

It looks pretty minor, and I never knew this to happen before you mentioned it

Meanwhile it seems everyone I knew with a launch 360 got red ringed
Also the fact that Xbox 360 controllers tend to drift as well
not to the extent of the switch but it's still a thing
and really, would you rather have a completely dead console that doesn't work anymore, or a console with a controller problem that has multiple solutions? (one of them just being buying a new controller)

Reactions: x65943

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In a perfect world, companies doing well for themselves would. Unfortunately though, as stated by Adam Smith in his book The Wealth of Nations, men and women are self-interested.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Too bad that fun stuff doesn't usually have a bunch of new games to come with it...
*laughs in Switch library*

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to know how many of those 55 Millions have multiple Switch Consoles.

I have 4 switches. 2 unpatched switches and 2 Pokémon edition lites i still have one that is brand new because Target messed up on my order so I got that one free

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i hope nintendo will never go all home console every again, becuase the switch gave light after the dark tunnel that was the wii and wiiu, the wii while it sold was very lackbuster, the standard controls were decent for the gimmicky games but since they had such low number of buttons developers needed to add swigs and gestures and everything and barely any of them coded them well so most wii games have crap controls/control sheme in general, the wiiu was a good idea on paper but nintendo gave it an awful name and worst of all even the console box, most people tough it was a wii addon and not a new console, and the gamepad was decenbt but 480p screen for hd games was preety pitfull and that not even 2 hours batery and like 3 or 4 metters range was even worst.now on switch we finaly have a regular default controll scheme, a ranged mode that doesnt rely on being on range of the actual console, an hd screen even if 720p and switch v2 actualy has a preety great batery life for portable mode, all they need to do is make a switch pro and boost up the cpu/gpu and we are good.

Nintendo during the Wi development wanted kids to become active and not just sit still parents and society were making claims video games were having and effect to obesity. That’s why Wii Sports was included and why it focus on active games like Fit.
Wii U allowed everything you just brought up

Wii movement jesters help in development for VR

Nintendo has wanted the Idea of Master and Slave since the Game Cube /GBA It just wasn’t cost effective during that time period. The Wii U was their 2nd attempt at this setup but with a dumb down tablet with the idea to play remotely around your house.

Switch now has the marketing name to allow for deferent gaming concepts Home Away VR “You make the Switch” so I do see people have hooked on and Furukawa has stated he wants the Switch brand to last a long time I peg Feb 21st 2021 as a special day :yayswitch:

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No wonder you say hard to save up for buying games :lol:

Well its funny because when I bought my gaming laptop last year I told myself I was never going to buy another game again and I ended up buying a Xbox one and the Switches. I still have a list of games to buy but I want to actually beat some of the games I have first

Reactions: DANTENDO

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have 4 switches. 2 unpatched switches and 2 Pokémon edition lites i still have one that is brand new because Target messed up on my order so I got that one free
You have a problem. One I wish I had LOL got only the unpatched Switch but want a lite but can't afford it right now.
Lucky on that Target fail

Reactions: Goku1992A

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I know talking about the future is crazy, mostly because we’re only halfway through the Switch’s lifespan, but man, I hope Nintendo doesn’t stray away from the whole playable home and away style they’ve got. I love being able to have every single switch game playable in docked or portable mode. I think this is the perfect way to thrive in a handheld market dominated by mobile gaming.

As far as sales go, I own three switch’s, and even then, I only bought my initial Switch for 2 games. And I think that’s how a lot of Nintendo fans operate; they buy a Nintendo system purely for that one exclusive series they love. Even to the point of double dipping. I’ll buy a limited edition Nintendo system even if I already own one, but I wouldn’t do that for the XBO/PS4. They’re special in that way.

Reactions: Xzi

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Switch totally lost me. Can't see any value in one at all really. Very little original stuff, not much in the way of experimental stuff and usually a bunch of weak ports (of things I probably already played or played a suitable equivalent for).

Maybe one day we will see a Nintendo console that appeals to me again but I have my doubts at this point.

PiracyForTheMasses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the xbox one is now surpassed. Next is NES, then GBA and then Wii. Not sure how other consoles have fared.
You could say that. Or you could say the Switch is next gen and next gen numbers can't be compared to current gen. You could say hey, Nintendo lost current gen with the Wii U. You could say the Switch is a portable like the DS 3DS etc and portable numbers are never compared against dedicated home consoles. I for one see the Switch as a 3DS replacement, which is what it is & it's next gen. Nintendo will release a home console by 2022

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would think that because of the pandemic, Nintendo's sales would increase dramatically. I've been to retail stores, and the shelves are void of Switches, Switch Lites, and New 2DS XLs. I'd say their fiscal year of 2020-2021 is starting off better than expected!

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i don't really see how had far more appealing games, might just be bias but i can think of way more memorable n64 games than ps1 games
How can I be bias towards sony look at my username lol I'm saying how it is the playstation around 1997 1998 had way mor games tht players wanted to experience like ff7 tomb raider gran turismo metal gear resident evil and so many mor I can't be arsed to list them all - but don't get me wrong multiplayer nintendo owned like goldeneye mario kart and waverace

Trophies
XP
How can I be bias towards sony look at my username lol I'm saying how it is the playstation around 1997 1998 had way mor games tht players wanted to experience like ff7 tomb raider gran turismo metal gear resident evil and so many mor I can't be arsed to list them all - but don't get me wrong multiplayer nintendo owned like goldeneye mario kart and waverace
i didnt say you were i said i might be the one with bias

Reactions: CrossOut

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I really need to dig out my USB Wii sensor bar and experiment with Wii emulation and synching...