1. 7,426

Front-page
    nintendo-switch-3-656x369.jpg

Nintendo has updated its sales figures with the information from the latest edition of its quarterly results, bringing Nintendo Switch hardware sales to a new milestone. In the published results, we can see that Nintendo's net sales were up 9% compared to last fiscal year, leading to a total of 1.308 billion yen (12.2 million USD). Both hardware and software sales exceeded the company's predictions, as Pokemon Sword and Shield and Animal Crossing: New Horizons broke records and performed incredibly well in terms of sales. Nintendo also cited COVID-19 as a reason for limited production of hardware in certain regions, though this apparently did not drastically affect the final two months of the fiscal year. Overall, Switch console sales were up 24% year over year, selling 21.03 million units, while software sales were up 42.3%, totalling 168.72 million.

The Nintendo 3DS saw a dramatic decrease in sales, reaching only 0.69 million units--a 73% decrease. On the other hand, digital subscription sales and digital download sales were up a massive 71.8%. As of March 2020, the Nintendo Switch has sold a lifetime amount of 55.77 million systems worldwide, surpassing both the GameCube and Nintendo 64, combined.

:arrow: Source

2. Discussion (132 replies)

3. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I have still never seen anyone outdoors with a Switch.

4. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Addict

Austria
    Almost 56 million switch owner in hidding!:creep:

Xabring, JavaScribe and x65943 like this.
  5. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    So ther in a healthy position - now concentrate on making a beast of a machine releasing by 2022 ps5 power and hire mor skilled game designers and make new ips adult content games preferred

6. smilodon

smilodon GBAtemp Regular

France
    Not bad for a portable wii u.

ds34, tozevleal and Inuk like this.
  7. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    You have 280 posts over the last almost 11 years, I have 63 since only Sunday. Wow.

8. DANTENDO

United Kingdom
    On yr 64th post somehow pay tribute to the Nintendo 64:D

The_Green_Nerd likes this.
  9. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Italy
    So the xbox one is now surpassed. Next is NES, then GBA and then Wii. Not sure how other consoles have fared.

10. DANTENDO

United Kingdom
    how bizare is this just got email nintendo saying a new 7 day free trial available

11. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Argentina
    I didn't know the Nintendo 64 had so few sales considering all the amazing games it had.

elm likes this.
  12. DANTENDO

United Kingdom
    The playstation was born

13. xtrem3x

xtrem3x GBAtemp Regular

Quality over quantity springs to mind :teach:

14. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Argentina
    Yes, but the first two years of the Playstation had a lot of awful games with a lot of loading times.

elm likes this.
  15. DANTENDO

United Kingdom
    Noone cared about loading times back then lol playstn was new and they had far mor appealing games than nintendo 64 had

Silverfrost208 likes this.
  16. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    what? switch is getting sales because of the hybrid aspect, theres no way to make anything hybrid on ps5 power and tbh i dont see nintendo ever releaseing a regular home console ever again, the switch made them use the same studios to develop for the same platform, instead of the devided how they were.if they made a ps5 power console and sold it at like 500, it would flop hard, becuase nintendo audience inst the same as sony audience, so it would be way too risky and probably tanked big time.

ds34, astrocapsule and IncredulousP like this.
  17. Extrasklep

Extrasklep gbaTemp Fan

Poland
    Noooooooooo the 3DS is still alive right?

ds34 likes this.
  18. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Sales are good but IMO the switch is still mediocre. Hacking the switch made it alot better than it is by lifting the restrictions that it had. I hope after this Covid-19 stuff is over Nintendo start pumping out more Original games instead of relying on ports or remasters. Most of the newer games that are coming on the switch this year are ports or remasters.

I'm afraid if Nintendo doesn't bring anything new to the table in the upcoming years they are going to die out.

Last edited by Goku1992A, May 7, 2020
    Dartz150, yoyoyo69 and IncredulousP like this.
  19. Ewpb

Ewpb Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Great job Nintendo. These kind of figures coming in always lead to little more freedom and tinkering in the R&D department.

Fresh ideas incoming COVID allowing.

20. CactusMan

CactusMan Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    Now they can develop another failed system without going bankrupt, nice. We need more Virtua Boy, Pokemon Mini and WiiU. I love Nintendo.

21. Teletron1

Teletron1 Space Tech Engineer

United States
    that’s not true for one market power dictates what a company could do

Switch could cater to a beef up home console running the same games why because it can fit within the marketing name , 1080p is the global standard for in home viewing 4K is still no where near the scratching surface with a divided user base Nintendo could take the risk with a Switch Home Console in hopes that people buy both Home and Lite
    This was the ultimate failure of the Wii U people thought the tablet worked independently so knowing Nintendo you live by the sword you die by the sword so they will probably take another swing at it.

Also don’t expect a ton of next generation games because their budgets don’t match the risk of failure Slow trickles and why most games will be on both current and next generations (Slight enhancements like what the X does) and I expect more companies to start going after Switch customers :yayswitch:

ds34 likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - worldwide, Nintendo, results