need some help with legal issuses

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by camochase, Jan 17, 2013.

Jan 17, 2013
  1. camochase
    OP

Member camochase GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i need to know some of the exact laws, bills, and policies against modding hombrewing and pirating thanks alot

2. Chary

Reporter Chary GBAtemp's #1 Naoto

pip
    United States
    Modding isn't illegal, because it's your own property.

3. Its_just_Lou

Member Its_just_Lou GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I can only offer this, as it seems semi-related -

(Sad and rather uncalled-for issue) Our cable/internet cut out one day, and when I called the provider I was told "Paramount Pictures attorneys have contacted us regarding blah blah" ..... I told them I had NO idea about any "illegally obtained films" and told them I was VERY offended that they would treat a LONG-time customer this way, and all was restored and has been fine since. (Honestly, the rep that I spoke with said that it was all bullshit and that they were forced to do these 'routine calls'....foolish...)

Ohhhh, well...

:grog:

4. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    There's a few specific things like the DMCA and other ip laws, but mostly it revolves around a series of court decisions. Bottomline is piracy is illeagal, homebrew varies depending on how its made/ used, modding varies (modding to get around copy protection is illegal, as one example. But jailbreaking to run legal unsigned code is legal. Many fine points like this).

Googling should get you tons of stuff.

5. camochase
    OP

Member camochase GBAtemp Regular

United States
    well the one big main bill i found was DMCA and it calls against basicly hardmodding when you go around security messures. and i have been googling just alot of posts not really mentioning of bills just what they think is illegal.

6. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    illegal or not, i dont think anyone is going to take action against you unless they break into your house with a warrant and find something lol

7. chavosaur

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    Baisically, your gonna be fine if you download a bunch of crap, they don't typically go after the downloaders. Its the up loaders they want.
    As for modding, seeing as you live in the U.S, you are legally allowed to mod anything, seeing as its your property.
    However, downloading IS illegal, but theres like a 1/1000000000000 chance your even gonna get caught, unless you download from a site thats being watched a lot.
    Id just suggest using torrents if your gonna download shiz.

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States