Homebrew Need help with vWii gc adapter for project M

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm... Keep in mind, this IS supposed to support hotplugging of the adapter. In a configuration where it WOULD hang if the adapter is in, try plugging in the adapter after you get to a menu.
Tried that already too. Doesn't seem to pick it up. How long does it take for the code to pick up the adapter when hotplugging. I've waited at least 1 minute.

EDIT: Verified the same results with WiiFlow (3rd loader). Also tested beta53. I think its safe to say either something differs from dolphin or cIOS is not compatible.

Hackless project M works perfectly through USB Loader GX. It uses a huge GCT file and the gameconfig.txt code I posted above. I'm stumped. Can't wait to pick up my SSBB disk this weekend!

EDIT 2: Patching the ISO with brawl builder doesn't work. USB loading gets Wii Remote support only. SD loading gets "Now Loading..." loop only when the USB adapter is plugged in. Hot-plugging does nothing (likely due to the r52 limitations). beta53 can't boot it still with WiiFlow and CFG Loader so I'm inclined to say compatibility is a cIOS limitation. It would have been nice to get this working for WiiWare, but I'm thrilled with SSBB support and one day maybe even MKWii support. You've done an incredible job wilm0x42 and everybody greatly appreciates it!

Last edited by JacobM,

wilm0x42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried that already too. Doesn't seem to pick it up. How long does it take for the code to pick up the adapter when hotplugging. I've waited at least 1 minute.
Should be pretty much instantaneous. :/
Looks like I'm gonna need to reproduce this issue in dolphin, so I can check how the hack is failing.

wilm0x42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hackless project M works perfectly through USB Loader GX. It uses a huge GCT file and the gameconfig.txt code I posted above. I'm stumped. Can't wait to pick up my SSBB disk this weekend!
Try using the GCT I attached. I includes the default PM codeset plus the latest Wii GCA Inject. Once I'm sure the GCT version works on more than just my wii, I'll release it.

No luck getting usb loader gx working on that other Wii eh?
Oops! Sorry, I forgot to mention how that went! It works flawlessly... (Which is a good thing, 'cause the disk drive on that wii is broken.)
Unfortunately, I don't have a USB Gecko, so I can't do much debugging with it! :P (Is there anywhere I can get one nowadays? Besides USB shuriken, of course.)

Attachments

• RSBE01.gct.zip
    33 KB · Views: 230

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try using the GCT I attached. I includes the default PM codeset plus the latest Wii GCA Inject. Once I'm sure the GCT version works on more than just my wii, I'll release it.
No gameconfig.txt this time? What did it work under? USB Loader GX with r52?

Last edited by JacobM,

wilm0x42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No gameconfig.txt this time? What did it work under? USB Loader r52?
It worked under standard Gecko OS. (At least, the code itself worked. I only just slapped together this particular GCT)
There was never supposed to be a gameconfig.txt to begin with. That was just quick attempt at getting it running in a USB loader.

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It worked under standard Gecko OS. (At least, the code itself worked. I only just slapped together this particular GCT)
There was never supposed to be a gameconfig.txt to begin with. That was just quick attempt at getting it running in a USB loader.
Almost done transferring a clean ISO. Just to be clear, you DO NOT want me to run the hackless PM with this GCT. Just the GCT alone, yes?

George miller

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this is only for Project M on Wii U? Can someone please upload a tutorial of how to get it working, thanks a lot for all your effort.

wilm0x42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Almost done transferring a clean ISO. Just to be clear, you DO NOT want me to run the hackless PM with this GCT. Just the GCT alone, yes?
Need sleep. If you have any issues, I'll be back tomorrow. Good luck!

So this is only for Project M on Wii U? Can someone please upload a tutorial of how to get it working, thanks a lot for all your effort.
This will also work on any normal wii. (That is, including the older wiis that lack gamecube controller ports.)
Here's the official thread for this, containing the install instructions. It's already a hair outdated, but it should be fine. Let me/us know if you have any trouble.

Reactions: George miller

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Need sleep. If you have any issues, I'll be back tomorrow. Good luck!
Your GCT file stops project M mod from loading. Instead, regular brawl loads with Wii Remote support. Tested a few times under different configurations. Reconfirmed by swapping the original PM GCT back in. I see the file size was increased by 4k over the PM file. I think I read somewhere that the PM file already pushes the limit of the GCT extender code.

WiiFlow and CFG Loader are unable to load the hackless PM mod in SD Loading. WiiFlow stackdumps for USB Loading. USB Loader GX is the only one that works for this test.

Custom PM ISO with your GCT patch boots on USB and SD load but gamecube controllers are not responsive on front or back ports.

Last edited by JacobM,

freshkilz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Custom Brawl ISO created with the GCT patch via brawl builder also boots when installed on Wii U as VC, but with no gamecube controller support when plugged in to front or back ports.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the patch is only for the modded version of brawl ?
it's not supposed to work on non-modded SSBB ?

the modded version already need both gameconfig and cheatcodes, right?
so, to test it you need to either merge the gameconfig or the cheat together with the official brawl mod files?

I never tested ProjectM, and last time I checked it didn't work with PAL version. I guess I can't test then. that make sense, the patch is only for RSBE, not RSBP.

Last edited by Cyan,

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Custom Brawl ISO created with the GCT patch via brawl builder also boots when installed on Wii U as VC, but with no gamecube controller support when plugged in to front or back ports.

Thanks for testing this as well. Its good? to see our results match and that my Wii U isn't crazy or configured incorrectly. Come to think of it, WiiVC doesn't pass through any cIOS. Could you try patching the older GCT (4k not 67k file size) into the ISO and installing it as WiiVC without gamepad support? It might rule out if cIOS is the limiting factor.

the modded version already need both gameconfig and cheatcodes, right?
so, to test it you need to either merge the gameconfig or the cheat together with the official brawl mod files?

All previous tests other than the latest one have been on non-modded SSBB. The GeckoOS versions of the code work for the plain and modded versions of brawl. @wilm0x42 latest file is just trying something different by stitching it to PM since we know that works. You are correct, we merged the mod files together.

Can this work on other games or is this only for Brawl and PM?

This is still in a EARLY testing phase. Currently the code only works using GeckoOS+disc for Brawl and PM, and may work for other SSBB mods. USB/SD support and other game support isn't available yet so just keep an eye posted for further progress.

Last edited by JacobM,
Reactions: Cyan

freshkilz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Thanks for testing this as well. Its good? to see our results match and that my Wii U isn't crazy or configured incorrectly. Come to think of it, WiiVC doesn't pass through any cIOS. Could you try patching the older GCT (4k not 67k file size) into the ISO and installing it as WiiVC without gamepad support? It might rule out if cIOS is the limiting factor.

I didn't patch the 67k version into the brawl iso I created a gct with just the code inside (4kb) and used that.

Attachments

• RSBE01.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 167

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't patch the 67k version into the brawl iso I created a gct with just the code inside (4kb) and used that.
Ah okay. That was a really good idea freshkilz! I know @FIX94 made some modifications to the WiiVC (255) IOS, but I would have expected it to work if cIOS was the real issue. On the setup you tried, did you disable gamepad support or cut subspace emissary? I'm not sure how either one affects the memory addresses, but its good to have your configuration documented to test in the future!

freshkilz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good point about documentation. For clarification:

What I did exactly was create the gct I uploaded in my previous post and used Brawl Builder 1.2.3 to build an ISO with the gct (not sure if this should even work) leaving in the subspace emissary, then took that ISO injected it in to WiiVC using TeconMoon's WiiVC Injector with no gamepad support. Installed with WUP installer and end result game functions with only wiimote support.

Sould this process work? Is there another way to inject the gct? Maybe it also needs a handler?

Reactions: JacobM

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I did exactly was create the gct I uploaded in my previous post and used Brawl Builder 1.2.3 to build an ISO with the gct (not sure if this should even work) leaving in the subspace emissary, then took that ISO injected it in to WiiVC using TeconMoon's WiiVC Injector with no gamepad support. Installed with WUP installer and end result game functions with only wiimote support.

Sould this process work? Is there another way to inject the gct? Maybe it also needs a handler?

Thanks! It sounds like you did it the cleanest way possible. In theory it should work as the same GCT works when run through Gecko OS. I outlined a test I did last night using brawl builder but only attempted vWii SD and USB support. My USB Loader results were identical to yours, but my SD loading results would get the "Now Loading..." loop which suggests injecting the code into the ISO matches the results of on-the-fly patching.

Patching the ISO with brawl builder doesn't work. USB loading gets Wii Remote support only. SD loading gets "Now Loading..." loop only when the USB adapter is plugged in. Hot-plugging does nothing (likely due to the r52 limitations). beta53 can't boot it still with WiiFlow and CFG Loader so I'm inclined to say compatibility is a cIOS limitation. It would have been nice to get this working for WiiWare, but I'm thrilled with SSBB support and one day maybe even MKWii support. You've done an incredible job wilm0x42 and everybody greatly appreciates it!

freshkilz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm, I don't have usb loader set up on my vWii so I can't test using gecko. Does the 4kb gct work for you when run though gecko on a clean brawl and not injected?

Last edited by freshkilz,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That sick boy yo