Hacking NDS fine, GBA no longer works?

maxrenderer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I flashed my DS and love not having to use the PassMe. But, now my GBA roms won't load up. NDS roms are fine, but GBA roms lock up in the M3 menu after the load bar is complete. I'm using Game Manager v26CF if that helps. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you.

maxrenderer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I usually just let it go through the screen that says "this product not sponsored by Nintendo" and then I get my menu of games. This was working before I flashed it.

Now, if I hit start, as you recommended, I get the cooler interface and I go to the MyGame icon, but none of the games show up in the menu; even though they are on the card.

Any thoughts?
Thank you.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
aren't you just saying you're not in gba mode? because if your ds is flashed it jumps straight to NDS mode. If this is the case, start up the ds holding select and then load slot2 manually, this will force the gba mode. I don't have my m3 with me but pushing something in NDS mode (on the DS menu of the m3 upon bootup) can make it go to gba mode as well...maybe Y or something, forgot exactly.

maxrenderer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SELECT! That's it man, you saved the day. Thanks. Since you were brilliant with that answer, do you know how to soft reset back to the M3 menu while in GBA mode with a flashed DS? Again, the old soft reset worked with the PassMe, but that's changed.

Thanks

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hmmm, I can't imagine that changing due to passme device....should still be LRABX. But I don't use gba mode but the soft reset key should be the same.

kobewan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I usually just let it go through the screen that says "this product not sponsored by Nintendo" and then I get my menu of games. This was working before I flashed it.

Now, if I hit start, as you recommended, I get the cooler interface and I go to the MyGame icon, but none of the games show up in the menu; even though they are on the card.

Any thoughts?
Thank you.

The problem is quite simple here. You are holding "Start" while the M3 is still booting, which causes it to boot into the built-in Moonshell (called Extend). This will give you the slightly better interface and the MyGame option.

If you boot up holding Select, it will boot straight into the GBA menu. If you want to go into the Nintendo BIOS, you have to hold START + SELECT now.

What WraithGR was trying to say though was this : power on your DS without pressing anything. Wait for the normal interface to show up with 8 icons and THEN press "START". That should show the standard GameBoy bootup screen (with the cool 'ding') and then go into GBA mode. GBA mode only has 6 icons instead of 8, so you can tell them apart easily. Load your ROM from GBA mode and you should be good to go.

The soft reset is L + R + A + B. This shouldn't change after flashing your DS. Just make sure that your ROMs were written with the "Enable Real-time Save" option in the M3 Game Manager.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I usually just let it go through the screen that says "this product not sponsored by Nintendo" and then I get my menu of games. This was working before I flashed it.

Any thoughts?
Thank you.

The problem is quite simple here. You are holding "Start" while the M3 is still booting, which causes it to boot into the built-in Moonshell (called Extend). This will give you the slightly better interface and the MyGame option.

If you boot up holding Select, it will boot straight into the GBA menu. If you want to go into the Nintendo BIOS, you have to hold START + SELECT now.

What WraithGR was trying to say though was this : power on your DS without pressing anything. Wait for the normal interface to show up with 8 icons and THEN press "START". That should show the standard GameBoy bootup screen (with the cool 'ding') and then go into GBA mode. GBA mode only has 6 icons instead of 8, so you can tell them apart easily. Load your ROM from GBA mode and you should be good to go.

The soft reset is L + R + A + B. This shouldn't change after flashing your DS. Just make sure that your ROMs were written with the "Enable Real-time Save" option in the M3 Game Manager.

His DS is flashed, holding select while powering will enter the Nintendo bios.

kobewan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
still true here with every card I've used, because it is inherently coded in flashme firmware. I've used only flashme v7 with the ds lite brightness adjustments. You power up holding select, you enter DS bios. This is true with supercard, m3, and g6. Because once again, it's hard coded into the bios.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Time for a lesson on flashme
lecture.gif

Keys held when turning on a FlashMe'd DS (ANY version of flashme)
Start+Select boots using the protected NDS bootstrap (meaning you are force jumped to DS mode on the GBA bus via a stripped down passme type loader, it is there in case of "bricking" which can occur only on the "unprotected by SL1" portion of the flash chip).

Select disables the standard flashme patched boot from GBA slot (even when "PASS" is present in the GBA header), meaning that unless you have auto run on in the bios and the appropriate card in the DS that is set to auto run, you will boot directly to the DS's normal menu

A+B+X+Y is to force the flashme passme type patch; when you have DS in the GBA slot and it doesnt have "PASS" as the GBA header flashme wont auto boot it, so you use these keys to force it to try and boot it in NDS mode.

FlashMe, in the DS's firmware (NOT BIOS, the BIOS isnt flashable on the DS!!) is not really affected by what card happens to be in the GBA slot, though it does check it to see if the "PASS" is present as the gamecode to see if it should auto boot it in DS mode. The DS's menu itself is essentially a DS app that is stored in a highly compressed form and flashed onto and loaded from a flash chip, somewhat like a PC's OS is bootstrapped from the HDD by the BIOS (HDD instead of a flash chip).

BTW: the button to press in M3's DS menu to get to GBA mode is "START", if you are not in GBA mode it will try to load the file like a DS ROM (it is not very intelligent, cant tell the difference between a "*.ds.gba" and a "*.gba"
laugh.gif

kobewan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for that information. I've seen it a few times before, and yet I STILL manage to forget these things.

So yeah, the reason that my DS boots into GBA mode with SELECT now is because I have the setting at auto-detect and before I didn't. I wonder why I didn't think of that before... Anyways, I apologize for the confusion I might have caused.

maxrenderer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, adding to the confusion--

I booted up with Select+Start and then selected GBA on the bottom of the screen. GBA mode boots fine. I loaded up a game I had on there before I installed GM v27 and then did the soft reset just fine. Then I selected another game that was on the card prior to GM v27 and that soft reset worked fine as well. Next, I loaded up a game I put on my card AFTER GM v27 and the soft reset did not work.

So, naturally, I'm still confused
wacko.gif

I leave Mario Kart in the DS slot; could this be the cause?

Thanks again.

dreary79

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What is the "MyGame option"? Does it do anything at all?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel:
    the Pax
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't put other things in there sickly
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @PandaPandel, not lately sadly. Been wrapped up in other hobbies and platforms and haven't touched my 3ds in a few years :(
    +1
    Sick! You should I will help you pimp it out with any theme you want and badges any you wanted!
    +1
    bring it back!!!!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I gotta mess around with SteamDeck been using a dummy hdmi for dualscreen emulation with citra
    citra is really amazing
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's an annoying but cool process using moonlight
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also yeah dry herb vapes are the shit. I have a bunch and finally settled on what I'm happiest with, vape wise, until I discovered weed is causing all of my gut problems and I need to not smoke/vape anymore lmfao
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I say as I load another bowl on my Volcano
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still pissed at Kansas for not legalizing anything they're all like lolol china's gonna hurt us
    sickly that is fucked im sorry to hear that
    +1
    but yeah!!!!! when you want to fuck with your 3ds holler at me fr fr >3
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @K3Nv2, watch out for the spy balloons
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I throw those at people
    i am continuing dabbing rn
    this is crazy
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @PandaPandel, thanks Panda! One of these days for sure I'm going to go on a rampage of modding and upgrading everything that I've got laying around lol, it'll have its day(s) of glory soon enough. I got an OG 3DS and an n3DS XL to take care of
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't think China would like my data :creep:
    ooo lets get that new3dsXL a face lift!!!!
    yall are really cool sick and ken
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My 3ds back cover screws snapped so it's annoying to use now don't wanna spend $30 Ona. Back plate replacement got a 512gb card in it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Me and sicklyboy actually named our child sickken
    hirade girl, hi i keep seeing you in here
    PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: hirade girl, hi i keep seeing you in here