..nand restored! yay! but then..broken pins by GF..

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by puss2puss, Sep 10, 2016.

1. puss2puss
    OP

puss2puss ♻ThinkGreen♻

Dec 18, 2013
    Canada
    .. after more then a year, i re-hardmodded my n3ds xl to rewrite the nand since it was bricked completly..
    everything went perfect! I was kinda proud (cant i say it?..) and happy of my soldering..really clean and tiny!..
    I restore my nand, then finally it comes back to life and works perfectly! Except for the top screen, so i disassemble it again.

I disassemble it to reconnect correctly the ribbon, i go get a drink, i come back, i see my gf sitting in chair crying lightly saying ''i am soo sorry... i wanted to help..'' while holding in her hand a tiny white piece of plastic.. the plastic bar that holds the ribbon in place in the connector.. AND, two tiny tiny pins where now broken...
    ..this is where my console ends for good.. :(
    ..i am sooo desapointed! i was happy with the clean and 'kinda cute' solderings, but now.. oh well..
    time to grab a bigger drink, hoping someone will tell me ''well, not all the pins on the top screen ribbon connector are necessary'' :P

..what should i do?,.sell it for part or photoshoot the destroying session?..

gnmmarechal likes this.
  2. Filo97

Filo97 Zelda's totally my sister! Not lying!

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    well sell all the working stuff and get the most money you can do buy a new console or to buy whatever you want

3. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    Try seeing if it works with it in - if so you could in theory stick it in

And people like helping, she genuinely wanted to help, please don't be mad at her (IK you most likely arent, it's just some people get mad and don't realise c:)

4. mudassirul

mudassirul GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2010
    try plugging it in and use strong sellotape

5. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Addict

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    Man, people should really realize that they shouldn't touch delicate electronics that they don't know anything about.

edit: I wouldn't get mad though. That serves no purpose. But people really should know better =/

Last edited by dimmidice, Sep 10, 2016
    gnmmarechal and PokeAcer like this.
  6. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    I'd get mad at her anyway, if you don't have a sh!t idea of what you're doing, you're better off rooting from afar...

It's not like anyone would've took responsibility, anyway.
    I bricked a friends DSlite by trying out the "3ds function" of his R4, figured out it wouldn't do anything since it was not a 3ds... welp, i screwed it up.

I was going to pay for the mobo swap but he told me he just replaced the mobo with a spare one he had of other broken DSlites...
    I'm still hell ashamed for that, that costed him money.

7. puss2puss
    OP

puss2puss ♻ThinkGreen♻

Dec 18, 2013
    Canada
    Exactly what i've tought.. i was like, why the hell would you wanna help me in something you dont know anything about!?..

Well sticking it in isnt the the buggest issue..its the fact that the conenction isnt made since theres 2 connection pins missing..

Yahh i'm not mad at her..she's been my love angle for 9years now..it will take more then that to make me mad at her :P i'm just disapointed.. but not at her.. her intentions where good.. i guess lol

8. dimmidice
    This message by dimmidice has been removed from public view by raulpica, Sep 10, 2016, Reason: Off-topic -rp.
    Sep 10, 2016
  9. puss2puss
    This message by puss2puss has been removed from public view by raulpica, Sep 10, 2016, Reason: Off-topic -rp.
    Sep 10, 2016
  10. mudassirul

mudassirul GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2010
    Time to have a go at micro soldering, like trying to take a strand of ultrafine wire (like and those from a desoldering wick) :tpi:

PokeAcer likes this.
  11. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Try and repair the contact points and use sellotape.

<snip>

Last edited by raulpica, Sep 10, 2016
  12. KiiWii
    This message by KiiWii has been removed from public view by raulpica, Sep 10, 2016, Reason: Off-topic -rp.
    Sep 10, 2016
  13. dimmidice
    This message by dimmidice has been removed from public view by raulpica, Sep 10, 2016, Reason: Off-topic -rp.
    Sep 10, 2016
  14. Quantumcat
    This message by Quantumcat has been removed from public view by raulpica, Sep 10, 2016, Reason: Off-topic -rp.
    Sep 10, 2016
  15. puss2puss
    OP

puss2puss ♻ThinkGreen♻

Dec 18, 2013
    Canada
    Well i already went a couple of time into micro soldering.. but this is more then micro.. its not the pin that touches the motherboard..its pins that are thin as hairs and are all close in a bunch.. its like an ant's mustache..really.. i dont see how a soldering iron could go there and most of all, there are no space to solder, its under a plastic pin.. i would have to remolder a plastic pin :P

Its hard to explain wich pins..but the ones i.m talking are not teally reparable honestly.. its like, metal hairs under a plastic pin theres actually not even enough space to pass a hair between each, really.

As for the beating, already done that but it only solved half of the issue :P

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

..i love repairinf my stuff and tweaking... but honestly..its not repairable unless i cahnge the piece completly.. i womder how much i could sell it.. its N3ds XL and its in mint condition, it looks new with the box and everything and screen protectors..but top screen's connector need to be changed.. .. i think i will sell it for 75$ .. ..

16. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Can you just get a new ribbon cable, or screen kit? (sorry if not possible, the only experience I have is changing cases on DS lites...)

17. natkoden
    This message by natkoden has been removed from public view by raulpica, Sep 10, 2016, Reason: WTF -rp.
    Sep 10, 2016
  18. puss2puss
    OP

puss2puss ♻ThinkGreen♻

Dec 18, 2013
    Canada
    No,.. the ribbon cable is fine..its the small piece on the motherboard that.s missing two pins and a plastic part..

<snip>

Last edited by raulpica, Sep 10, 2016 - Reason: Cleaning up! -rp
  19. dimmidice
    This message by dimmidice has been removed from public view by raulpica, Sep 10, 2016, Reason: Reply to trashed post -rp.
    Sep 10, 2016
  20. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Ah, I see ... sorry for your loss :-( I guess if you sent it to Nintendo they'd probably put it in the too-hard basket and just swap out the motherbord or send back a new console :-(

Last edited by raulpica, Sep 10, 2016
    gnmmarechal and dimmidice like this.
  21. puss2puss
    OP

puss2puss ♻ThinkGreen♻

Dec 18, 2013
    Canada
    Sending it to nintendo have never been an option to me lol.. and beside, it would cost me too much since the warenty is far now.. pretty sure it would cost me around an hundred bucks to have them fix and with shipping etc.,

22. astronautlevel

astronautlevel Finding a reason, waiting for a miracle

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    This is the real solution, you can sell it for parts for about 50-60 dollars probably and help use that towards a new console if you want.

gnmmarechal likes this.
  23. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Time to dump her and get a boyfriend.

Ryccardo, Quantumcat and PokeAcer like this.
  24. puss2puss
    OP

puss2puss ♻ThinkGreen♻

Dec 18, 2013
    Canada
    Never! :P (stop the off topics..RP will clean it all :P) btw, i like RaulPica, he doies a good job..please dont think i'm against the cleaning :P

25. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    If you can solder NAND points, you should be able to resolder whatever she broke off.

26. Jordan Wessley

Jordan Wessley Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2016
    Canada
    Try soldering headphone wire. It's quite small and would work well.

27. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    You don't know what you miss out on :tpi:

In all seriousness tho, what are you going to do with the 3DS?
    Try repairing the contact point and then use sellotape to fix it to it?