Hacking ..nand restored! yay! but then..broken pins by GF..

puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
.. after more then a year, i re-hardmodded my n3ds xl to rewrite the nand since it was bricked completly..
everything went perfect! I was kinda proud (cant i say it?..) and happy of my soldering..really clean and tiny!..
I restore my nand, then finally it comes back to life and works perfectly! Except for the top screen, so i disassemble it again.

I disassemble it to reconnect correctly the ribbon, i go get a drink, i come back, i see my gf sitting in chair crying lightly saying ''i am soo sorry... i wanted to help..'' while holding in her hand a tiny white piece of plastic.. the plastic bar that holds the ribbon in place in the connector.. AND, two tiny tiny pins where now broken...
..this is where my console ends for good.. :(
..i am sooo desapointed! i was happy with the clean and 'kinda cute' solderings, but now.. oh well..
time to grab a bigger drink, hoping someone will tell me ''well, not all the pins on the top screen ribbon connector are necessary'' :P

..what should i do?,.sell it for part or photoshoot the destroying session?..

Reactions: gnmmarechal
D

Deleted User

.. after more then a year, i re-hardmodded my n3ds xl to rewrite the nand since it was bricked completly..
everything went perfect! I was kinda proud (cant i say it?..) and happy of my soldering..really clean and tiny!..
I restore my nand, then finally it comes back to life and works perfectly! Except for the top screen, so i disassemble it again.

I disassemble it to reconnect correctly the ribbon, i go get a drink, i come back, i see my gf sitting in chair crying lightly saying ''i am soo sorry... i wanted to help..'' while holding in her hand a tiny white piece of plastic.. the plastic bar that holds the ribbon in place in the connector.. AND, two tiny tiny pins where now broken...
..i am sooo desapointed! i was happy with the clean and 'kinda cute' solderings, but now.. oh well..
time to grab a bigger drink, hoping someone will tell me ''well, not all the pins on the top screen ribbon connector are necessary'' :P

Try seeing if it works with it in - if so you could in theory stick it in

And people like helping, she genuinely wanted to help, please don't be mad at her (IK you most likely arent, it's just some people get mad and don't realise c:)

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

And people like helping, she genuinely wanted to help, please don't be mad at her (IK you most likely arent, it's just some people get mad and don't realise c:)
I'd get mad at her anyway, if you don't have a sh!t idea of what you're doing, you're better off rooting from afar...

It's not like anyone would've took responsibility, anyway.
I bricked a friends DSlite by trying out the "3ds function" of his R4, figured out it wouldn't do anything since it was not a 3ds... welp, i screwed it up.

I was going to pay for the mobo swap but he told me he just replaced the mobo with a spare one he had of other broken DSlites...
I'm still hell ashamed for that, that costed him money.

puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Man, people should really realize that they shouldn't touch delicate electronics that they don't know anything about.
Exactly what i've tought.. i was like, why the hell would you wanna help me in something you dont know anything about!?..

try plugging it in and use strong sellotape
Well sticking it in isnt the the buggest issue..its the fact that the conenction isnt made since theres 2 connection pins missing..

Yahh i'm not mad at her..she's been my love angle for 9years now..it will take more then that to make me mad at her :P i'm just disapointed.. but not at her.. her intentions where good.. i guess lol

puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Time to have a go at micro soldering, like trying to take a strand of ultrafine wire (like and those from a desoldering wick) :tpi:
Well i already went a couple of time into micro soldering.. but this is more then micro.. its not the pin that touches the motherboard..its pins that are thin as hairs and are all close in a bunch.. its like an ant's mustache..really.. i dont see how a soldering iron could go there and most of all, there are no space to solder, its under a plastic pin.. i would have to remolder a plastic pin :P

Try and repair the contact points and use sellotape.

After it works again, beat the living fuck out of her.
j/k
Its hard to explain wich pins..but the ones i.m talking are not teally reparable honestly.. its like, metal hairs under a plastic pin theres actually not even enough space to pass a hair between each, really.

As for the beating, already done that but it only solved half of the issue :P

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

..i love repairinf my stuff and tweaking... but honestly..its not repairable unless i cahnge the piece completly.. i womder how much i could sell it.. its N3ds XL and its in mint condition, it looks new with the box and everything and screen protectors..but top screen's connector need to be changed.. .. i think i will sell it for 75$ .. ..

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Well i already went a couple of time into micro soldering.. but this is more then micro.. its not the pin that touches the motherboard..its pins that are thin as hairs and are all close in a bunch.. its like an ant's mustache..really.. i dont see how a soldering iron could go there and most of all, there are no space to solder, its under a plastic pin.. i would have to remolder a plastic pin :P

Its hard to explain wich pins..but the ones i.m talking are not teally reparable honestly.. its like, metal hairs under a plastic pin theres actually not even enough space to pass a hair between each, really.

As for the beating, already done that but it only solved half of the issue :P

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

..i love repairinf my stuff and tweaking... but honestly..its not repairable unless i cahnge the piece completly.. i womder how much i could sell it.. its N3ds XL and its in mint condition, it looks new with the box and everything and screen protectors..but top screen's connector need to be changed.. .. i think i will sell it for 75$ .. ..
Can you just get a new ribbon cable, or screen kit? (sorry if not possible, the only experience I have is changing cases on DS lites...)

puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can you just get a new ribbon cable, or screen kit? (sorry if not possible, the only experience I have is changing cases on DS lites...)
No,.. the ribbon cable is fine..its the small piece on the motherboard that.s missing two pins and a plastic part..

<snip>

Last edited by raulpica, , Reason: Cleaning up! -rp

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
No,.. the ribbon cable is fine..its the small piece on the motherboard that.s missing two pins and a plastic part..

<snip>
Ah, I see ... sorry for your loss :-( I guess if you sent it to Nintendo they'd probably put it in the too-hard basket and just swap out the motherbord or send back a new console :-(

Last edited by raulpica,

puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah, I see ... sorry for your loss :-( I guess if you sent it to Nintendo they'd probably put it in the too-hard basket and just swap out the motherbord or send back a new console :-(
Sending it to nintendo have never been an option to me lol.. and beside, it would cost me too much since the warenty is far now.. pretty sure it would cost me around an hundred bucks to have them fix and with shipping etc.,

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States

If you can solder NAND points, you should be able to resolder whatever she broke off.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Never! :P (stop the off topics..RP will clean it all :P) btw, i like RaulPica, he doies a good job..please dont think i'm against the cleaning :P

You don't know what you miss out on :tpi:

In all seriousness tho, what are you going to do with the 3DS?
Try repairing the contact point and then use sellotape to fix it to it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended