Homebrew Official NAND Dumper - Create full dumps of the NAND

sfs76

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi

I didn't manage to get NAND dumper v0.3 to work on 2 different WiiU using BrowserHax+Mocha (both WiiU are up to date, using 5.5.3; and Mocha CFW seems to work correctly based on other uses)

No crash, but the console reboots to the system menu when I press A after having chosen what I want to back up. I tried without MLC to avoid any space issue, but it ends the same way.
I tried with a version downloaded from a computer + a version directly downloaded in the HBC appstore

I've read on this thread
https://gbatemp.net/threads/help-with-nand-dumper-v3.518415/#post-8287133
that Haxchi is required and Mocha not being compatible (which seems to be contradictory with the initial post of this thread)
Could someone confirm it can work under Mocha CFW?

I envisaged the problem could originate from the SD card. The SD card I used is FAT32 formatted (W95 FAT32 (LBA) to report what is said by the Disks software of my Linux distro), as recommended in some posts here (it was formated this way to be compatible with Loadiine), but I've seen that some people got problems even with FAT32 formatted cards.
Is there a very specific FAT32 to be used for this app to work (cluster size)? Or is it mandatory to have a SD card the double of the NAND size (64 Gb for a 32Gb WiiU) even if we don't want to dump the MLC (which is by far the biggest part if I understood correctly)?

[EDIT]
The Linux Disks indicates that the SD card has a 4.2Mb free space before the main FAT32 partition (I don't know why). Is it an issue?

Last edited by sfs76,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Version v0.4 is now released on github. It solves issues with detecting the FAT32 partition
I just dumped my mlc again using that version. however, I've always had issues with wfs-extract. it always gets to some file, then says "failed to read," after which it says "done." it doesn't complete the dumping process. does wfs-extract work with a non-rednand dump? I couldn't even get it to work with rednand as it errors on a completely different file.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just compiled the injector, and I was able to inject the BaristaIconDataBase.dat from an ftp'd source. let me see if it works. it worked in that it got injected, but extract still fails on the file. :( I'm out of ideas.

Attachments

• 1633427614265.png
    1633427614265.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 1633427803703.png
    1633427803703.png
    164.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 1633427842021.png
    1633427842021.png
    62.2 KB · Views: 106

Toscanelli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Is it compatible with Bluubomb by @GaryOderNichts ? For now loading your Nand dumper application via HBL gets me stuck in the "Wii U Menu" loading screen (after a shortly appearing pink screen). My Wii U is on firmware 5.5.2 and due to a soft-brick I can't launch the Internet Browser or perform a system software update. My exploiting procedure is as follows:

1. Execute Bluubomb with loadrpx.bin kernel binary
2. launch.rpx is Home Brew Launcher RPX v2.1 by dimok
3. Open Mii Maker
4. Load Nand Dumper v0.4
5. Stuck on "Wii U Menu" loading screen

GaryOderNichts

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is it compatible with Bluubomb by @GaryOderNichts ? For now loading your Nand dumper application via HBL gets me stuck in the "Wii U Menu" loading screen (after a shortly appearing pink screen). My Wii U is on firmware 5.5.2 and due to a soft-brick I can't launch the Internet Browser or perform a system software update. My exploiting procedure is as follows:

3. Open Mii Maker
4. Load Nand Dumper v0.4
Bluubomb kind of messes with the IOSU, which probably stops this from working.
You can use bluubomb to unbrick your browser though. What did you do to brick it?

Reactions: cvskid

Toscanelli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
What did you do to brick it?
Probably nothing and it's the NAND that has gone bad. When I load the Internet Browser the system tries to load a TGA file (which contains the Nintendo logo) but fails to do so. See the attached IOSU crash log for details.

My idea was to create a NAND (MLC) dump, decrypt it, fix the broken file, encrypt it and flash the image to a new NAND chip.

Attachments

• crash_log.txt
    29.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited by Toscanelli,

Toscanelli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Is it expected behaviour that "seeprom.bin" is different after each dump when I compare (SHA1) checksums? Souldn't a dump from read-only memory not always be the same?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know about each dump, but I think it changes each time you format. the seeprom is for usb usage. the nand, all three of them, can be decrypted with just the otp.bin.

Toscanelli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I compared them in a Hex editor and found differences on offset 0x018 and 0x019. I then cross-referenced my findings with the SEEPROM article. It's the SEEPROM RNG seed.

Quote from wiiubrew.org:
This seed is incremented every time IOS-CRYPTO starts.

That explains the checksum differences from each seeprom.bin dump. In the end it is indeed expected behaviour.

Reactions: godreborn

EyeKey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel

3. Open Mii Maker
4. Load Nand Dumper v0.4

Sorry, as someone already said, It is based on mocha and assumes that the IOSU isn't patched. It may be incompatible with any other util that patches the IOSU.

Reactions: Toscanelli

ssjkakaroto

Trophies
XP
Country
I compared them in a Hex editor and found differences on offset 0x018 and 0x019. I then cross-referenced my findings with the SEEPROM article. It's the SEEPROM RNG seed.

Quote from wiiubrew.org:

That explains the checksum differences from each seeprom.bin dump. In the end it is indeed expected behaviour.
My slc.bin and slccmpt.bin dumps are also different between reboots, is this also expected?

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is splitted because FAT 4GB file size limitation. You can combine them on your pc with this command:
copy /b mlc.bin.part01 + mlc.bin.part02 + mlc.bin.part03 + mlc.bin.part04 + mlc.bin.part05 + mlc.bin.part06 + mlc.bin.part07 + mlc.bin.part08 + mlc.bin.part09 + mlc.bin.part10 + mlc.bin.part11 + mlc.bin.part12 + mlc.bin.part13 + mlc.bin.part14 + mlc.bin.part15 + mlc.bin.part16 mlc.bin
This command does not seem to be working for me. Is there another way by chance?

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
use cmd prompt, plus you might not want to use a folder with spaces.
Thank you, that seemed to fix it!

I always thought/assumed powershell worked the same as cmd prompt but was just more powerful. So that is great to know for the future that it doesn't work the same!

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision the new...