Mythologies in Gaming

cris92x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zekrom_cool said:
NahuelDS said:
I don’t know if this can count as a "artificial mythology"... but definitely is the best "artificial world"

Pokemon.... 649 reasons to support this
5 different regions to explore
a lot of cities, towns, ruins, caves, forests to visit
a lot of mysteries to unfold
Pokemon cannot be considered a proper mytology cause it has cycles, computers and all other modern stuff. Mythology is when there is no silicon, no techno stuff. Thats my opinion.
I'm sorry but that had to be the stupidest thing i read today... Thats not wth a mythology is, a mythology can be futuristic, mythology is just a collection of myths related to a culture. Pokemon can be considered a myth, not a very deep one but a myth.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
FAST6191 said:
...I am however going to have a very hard time distinguishing between art design, mythology and gameplay that uses them not to mention the question of "what is a mythology?"- voices in ones head/delusions (see something like the void or eternal sonata or even psychonauts) right through to world/universe spanning things complete with magic/technology equivalents or even games that bridge the two or maybe just near enough to reality but with a few differences.
Ya, it`s pretty hard to make out what is mythology and what isn`t. Especially in a medium like gaming...

For me when a world in a videogame (or other medium) is so vast and rich in every way, that you are even interested in it beyond the game or gameplay itself it becomes somewhat of a mythology.

Like you said sometimes I`m just reading about all these things developers created and I get so immersed into this world they`ve created that I find it fascinating. And that is most of the time after I finished the game!

Talking about gaming not being art but I guess that a complete other subject
tongue.gif

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
toguro_max.sites.uol.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Ha, Age of Mythology is a good catch.
For me, a "mythology" is just a "universe", including everything within it.
For example: Sonic. You have antopormophic animals (and normal animals) living with humans and a mad scientist. There is a whole (short) story behind the events (Eggman going nuts [even if it's contestable], capturing animals, Angel Island falling from the skay and causing great floods and after being restored, etc).
Mortal Kombat. I could use the "MK: Mythologies" joke here >-p But there is a whole world, story and development behind the series (which is being retold on the last game).
Street Fighter, Metroid, Phoenix Wright... Basically every game has it's own (little) mythology. Some of'em borrow elements from other mythologies (or even on its whole, Like Zangeki no Reginlev), and, therefore, should not be treated as a "game mythology" (Again, with Zangeki, its a norse mythology, not a "Zangeki" one).

Anyway, i Like the Half Life mythology, including Portal and such. The story can be so expanded and they can explore the past of future of this universe.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Font-paged about this 'cause it's an interesting topic for discussion and I'd like to see more people's input.

Zekrom_cool said:
Pokemon cannot be considered a proper mytology cause it has cycles, computers and all other modern stuff. Mythology is when there is no silicon, no techno stuff. Thats my opinion.Mythology doesn't have to be old shit.

FAST6191 said:
A nice idea for a thread- personally I love mythologies for games and otherwise and can quite happily kill a few hours or more just reading about them without even bothering with the media they were constructed to support.Yeah, I rather enjoy games with a lot of flavor text.

EDIT: QUOTE(toguro_max @ May 27 2011, 11:40 AM)
Anyway, i Like the Half Life mythology, including Portal and such. The story can be so expanded and they can explore the past of future of this universe.
I was trying to think of one mythology that really stood out to me, and this might be one of them. Even with as many games have been released there's some answered solved, but a lot more mysteries left.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Please guys also state what you think is the best one... I know it is a matter of preference but it would be great to see what you think is the best, why you think it is an own mythology and what made you interested in it maybe even beyond playing the game
biggrin.gif

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zekrom_cool said:
Pokemon cannot be considered a proper mytology cause it has cycles, computers and all other modern stuff. Mythology is when there is no silicon, no techno stuff. Thats my opinion.
yeah... tell that to FFVII fans

on topic: I also like games based on Norse mythology... like Valkyrie Profile and Tales Of Phantasia.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a few, but I think the one that stands out the most to me is the SMT mythology - specifically the Persona line, but I think all of the titles have such intriguing situations that I find myself scouring over each and every corner of a title, finding notes and piecing information together to learn as much as I can about the story. I've spent hours just going over monster/demon/persona descriptions and setting areas, seeing how they correlate to different areas and so forth.

One of the reoccurring themes in SMT is the power struggle between lawful and chaos, and not in your typical sense; it's not good heroes fighting villains, or even angels fighting demons (even though that does happen) - it's more of a political, religious struggle between the creator and those that oppose it. I really dig how deep into different mythological lore SMT gets, and how they utilize even religious icons in unique ways. The stories are insanely deep, and they even carry into one another, which really makes you think. There are so many "OHHHHH" moments that I can't help but smile at some of the ideas the series has put forth. I also appreciate how mature the series can get, but still remain tasteful and respectful. It's just really interesting to see how someone could take Greek, Egyptian, Norse, Japanese, and English lore and throw them altogether and have it make sense. Such a wonderful experience.

Oh, I'd also like to mention the Metroid Prime Trilogy and BioShock. Just the sheer amount of story and content that can be found via scanning and video logs is great, and piecing together the history by looking over your notes is just a fantastic experience. I didn't even play BioShock - I watched my friend play through it -, but I sat through the entire play through of the first 2 and thought - "Man, that was awesome. I can't wait to see where this goes next" at every turn.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Gay Little Catboy said:
Strangely enough, I love the Pokemon mythology/history. Like how the pokemon world came to be and how things happened in the pokemon world
Information can be found here
I read the whole thing, amazing read.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Final Fantasy. I really love the whole series' mythos (and I'm not talking about storylines here!). I just find so exciting to see how the diffferent elements change in each installment. It's so diverse that you could even say it has sub-mythologies, for example, from what it's known all Fabula Nova Crystallis games share many common elements with all other Final Fantasy games, but things like l'Cie are exclusive to them. On a more particular note, the Ivalice Alliance games are probably the ones with the most developed universe.
Also a honorable mention to the Ogre Battle Saga, Tactics Ogre in special.
Yasumi Matsuno

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Dragon Quest series stands out to me, because although each one has a separate world, they share some elements. The first three games talked of the legendary hero Loto (with DWIII actually being about him), and IV-VI all had Zenithia in them. I like to think that the king of the citadel in DQVI is a reincarnation of the Zenith Dragon. Every DQ game always has me sucked into its world.

Ivalice is also an extremely fleshed-out world, I just hate that it usually feels like you just hear about far-off locales and events you don't get to witness. Sometimes the Ivalice games' flavor text feel more like you're reading a history book than being involved in the world.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
A Gay Little Catboy said:
Strangely enough, I love the Pokemon mythology/history. Like how the pokemon world came to be and how things happened in the pokemon world
Information can be found here
I read the whole thing, amazing read.
I lol'd at this:
1500 years before Generation I:
Magikarp population mutates and becomes weaker.

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I like Fable and it's mythology, you see Albion change over the 3 games. Big fan of the series and I'm incredibly glad Fable III came out for pc.
I also agree that pokémon has an interesting mythology

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.