My debt, my life, my enlistment

Veloxi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This past December I graduated from a university that is quickly becoming well known because of their football team. Appalachian State. The 4 years I spent there were some of the best times of my life. Good dope, good local music, good parties, lots of waterfalls to jump off of, all kinds of stuff. Good times to be had in that small town, that's for sure.

Now I look back, jobless, no friends, no girlfriend, a mom and dad who I love very much, and a brother that disowned me because business got in the way of family. I look again at my bank account, and see myself in $4,000 credit card debt, $50,000 in college loan debt, and a $19,000 car loan all in my name.

About a month and a half ago I started looking into the Coast Guard. I figured it was a state-side job that would give me leadership experience, provide great benefits that I couldn't get in an entry level position out of college, and I could probably make a lot of friends all over the country. After getting into the recruiter and hearing they provide no benefits, really... besides health, living, and food, I was pretty turned off by that. Not to mention, I have a bachelor's and some of the best ASVAB scores the offices have ever seen, yet they don't want me to apply as an officer.

After the Coast Guard, it was off to the Air Force. I decided to try the Air Force to at least see what they had to offer. With 2 years of JROTC experience with the Air Force back in high school and the amazing times I had with that, I figured the real deal would provide a whole lot more. This recruiter, however, has led me on a wild goose chase for over a month now. I'd drive 30 minutes to see him, only to be told that I can't test today because of computer problems, or I can't do this, or I can't do that. It's always what I can't do, and not much of what I can do. Air Force provides no signing bonus (in most cases), and up to $10,000 college repayment. $10,000 is great, but when you owe $50,000 and the interest build up each month is at least $150-$170, shit. Do the math. That's no fun.

Today I went to the Army recruiter. They were the coolest guys of the 3 branches, the most laid back, the most sincere sounding, and provided the most opportunities (so they say...). They offered to pay ALL my student loans since they are all Federal Stafford loans, they provide a signing bonus for whichever field I enter, and the best training for field navigation, urban survival, weapons training, first aid, etc. etc. of the 3 branches. From what it sounds like, they have a lot to offer not just me, but anyone. In the grand scheme of things, I could get out of $50,000 in debt in my 4 years time serving, a signing bonus that could at least pay my credit card debt, and probably still have money left over to make a little dent in my car loan. And, on top of that, they are all for me becoming an officer in the Army. My scores were quite surprising to them, and they are very motivated to get me working with the Army. So now, it is down to this...

What does one do in this situation? Is life worth more than money? Of course... but do I want to live the rest of my life in debt up to my ears? No. If you have nothing to lose besides a mother and a father who are almost in their 60s, a douchebag brother who never wants to see you anyway, and a long running list of girlfriends who can't even pick up the phone to hear you say "I'm joining the Army", what decision do you make? It's almost as if I have nothing to lose. It's been emotional for me most of the day, and I guess I felt by writing about it I could accomplish something, at least in my head. I've always wanted to be an author, damn it. This could be the first entry of a wonderful journey that is only just beginning.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like you've put quite a bit of thought and effort into this potential decision. As I'm sure you know, there are no real answers to the questions you pose. You're at a point in your life where no one else can make this decision easier for you. I only have a couple comments.

Student loan payoff + signing bonus + a guaranteed shot at OCS sounds like a pretty good package. Just make sure you cover your ass when dealing with the recruiter. If he's willing to stand behind his promises, then he should have no qualms about putting them in writing.

The biggest question I think you need to ask yourself about joining the Army is how you would feel about spending 3 out of your 4 year commitment in Iraq / Afghanistan / Iran. Don't let the recruiter blow sunshine up your ass about how you might not go over there, because chances are, you will.

I can't pretend to know you or your brother, but It's been my experience with my brothers that our relationships have changed a lot over time. There were many times when I was younger that I never wanted to see either of my brothers ever again. Usually after they had screwed me over in one way or another. As we've grown up and matured, those relationships have changed. All three of us are semi-responsible adults now, and we all get along pretty well. Sometimes it just takes time for that to happen, but family is forever. Don't write your brother off just yet.

Eh, I'm rambling now. I wish you the best of luck in making your decision, and I hope your future path is a safe and prosperous one.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm the coast guard is hardly dangerous and the US airforce is not exactly in harms way the way the army is lately.

But then, do you think you would regret rolling the dice with your butt?

The media makes things sound a lot worse than it is. Although it is true guys ARE getting killed these days serving over seas. And those numbers are just the guys getting KILLED, I never hear much about guys getting seriously wounded but not dead.

I guess it comes down to "how much is 4 years of risk for the ability to ditch some financial debt worth to you?"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Superbad is another great one, lots have never seen.