Tutorial More-or-less Catch-All Tutorial

Switch CFW tutorial to focus on ReiNAND?

• Switch to ReiNAND (Lighter footprint, seems to work better in most systems, native regionfree TBD)

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Keep using rxTools (Unstable, build Dropbox host goes down every other day, generally troublesome)

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lintz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Might be worth to add how to connect the NNID on a New 3ds emunand since you can update past 9.5

(1. Download the latest Nver with 3DNUS
-for EUR download: 000400DB20016102 v448
-for USA download: 000400DB20016302 v448
-for JPN download: 000400DB20016202 v448

2. install it with sysupdater or BBM
3. Add your NNID as normal in the settings
4. Use the eshop homebrew launcher included in the starter package)

Gwstas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Type2 boot's description states that Menuhax should trigger ONLY when the PAD button(s) AREN'T being held, which means you're supposed to hold SOMETHING before tapping the bottom screen to add a trigger button. By not holding any buttons, you're effectively telling it that it shouldn't trigger when nothing is not being held, which is kind of asinine.
I don't know what I did wrong but now it works. :) I have set the B button IN ORDER TO boot into sysNAND. Nice.

I wouldn't reccomend renaming it to boot_hb.3dsx. That filename is for the default CTRBootManager boot.cfg, which differs from the one in the OP.
I stated to name it HBL8.3dsx because otherwise Yellows8's Homebrew Launcher Loader payload can't be edited to work with the Homebrew Launcher from the getgo, as the filename can't be any length other than 9 characters or the address space will shift around and break.
When I tried to boot into homebrew launcher(with the name HBL8.3dsx) it wouldn't boot and would freeze showing me a red screen(one of the many colours when you try to boot or load a homebrew app)[tried 3-4 times and all ended up with a freeze]. Then I checked, during CTRmanager, that the default path was "/boot_hb.3dsx". When I renamed it it started working again.

Btw, I wanted to ask a last question. What should I do if I want to update rxTools? Just delete the old folder, paste the new one and copy the firmware.bin as well? Or just overwrite?

Last edited by Gwstas,

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know what I did wrong but now it works. :) I have set the B button IN ORDER TO boot into sysNAND. Nice.

When I tried to boot into homebrew launcher(with the name HBL8.3dsx) it wouldn't boot and would freeze showing me a red screen(one of the many colours when you try to boot or load a homebrew app)[tried 3-4 times and all ended up with a freeze]. Then I checked, during CTRmanager, that the default path was "/boot_hb.3dsx". When I renamed it it started working again.

Btw, I wanted to ask a last question. What should I do if I want to update rxTools? Just delete the old folder, paste the new one and copy the firmware.bin as well?

When I say boot.cfg, I mean the one posted under a spoiler tag in the REQUIREMENTS: section.
I guess if you don't intend on using Ninjhax-based homebrew on emuNAND, it's fine.
As for the last question, you'd most likely be fine just overwriting the old version with the new version.

Gwstas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
When I say boot.cfg, I mean the one posted under a spoiler tag in the REQUIREMENTS: section.
I guess if you don't intend on using Ninjhax-based homebrew on emuNAND, it's fine.
I got this boot.cfg file along with boot.3dsx(CTRmanager or something? :P) and boot_hb.3dsx. When I go into CTRmanager's settings it says the default boot is rxTools. When I said "Then I checked, during CTRmanager, that the default path was "/boot_hb.3dsx". When I renamed it it started working again." I meant the default path for the app in and of itself, because the CTRmanager says the default path for those 3 particular apps(eg for rxTools it says /rxTools/sys/something.bin if I recall correctly.)

As for the last question, you'd most likely be fine just overwriting the old version with the new version.
Thanks! Got a working link for latest nightly(bbfc8c3)? Or is this particular build the one you provide in your OP?

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I got this boot.cfg file along with boot.3dsx(CTRmanager or something? :P) and boot_hb.3dsx. When I go into CTRmanager's settings it says the default boot is rxTools. When I said "Then I checked, during CTRmanager, that the default path was "/boot_hb.3dsx". When I renamed it it started working again." I meant the default path for the app in and of itself, because the CTRmanager says the default path for those 3 particular apps(eg for rxTools it says /rxTools/sys/something.bin if I recall correctly.)

Thanks! Got a working link for latest nightly(bbfc8c3)? Or is this particular build the one you provide in your OP?

Sorry, I got nothing.
The build bot isn't up yet and I don't have the tools at hand to build it myself right now, so we'll just have to wait.

Reactions: Gwstas

Gwstas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Sorry, I got nothing.
The build bot isn't up yet and I don't have the tools at hand to build it myself right now, so we'll just have to wait.

Ooooh, saw that message above as well. Didn't know what was about. Sorry for asking x2. I know it's irritating answering the same sht over and over. ^^;

I'm pretty new to this thing, 2 days old actually. My friend told me that I cannot play retail cartridges on emunand. Is it true? Or is there a limitation(eg not being able to backup the save file of Pokemon and then edit it with PKHeX)?

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ooooh, saw that message above as well. Didn't know what was about. Sorry for asking x2. I know it's irritating answering the same sht over and over. ^^;

I'm pretty new to this thing, 2 days old actually. My friend told me that I cannot play retail cartridges on emunand. Is it true? Or is there a limitation(eg not being able to backup the save file of Pokemon and then edit it with PKHeX)?
I'm not sure what that's all about, I'm capable of playing retail carts just fine.
I've heard that it's DS-mode cartridges (See: flashcarts and DS games) that don't work.

Reactions: Gwstas

Gwstas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I'm not sure what that's all about, I'm capable of playing retail carts just fine.
I've heard that it's DS-mode cartridges (See: flashcarts and DS games) that don't work.
So I can update them as well through emuNAND if there are any patches available? I'm asking all those silly questions because I don't plan on using or even booting into sysNAND ever again. :P

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm gonna retire the Ironhax guide, since the old eShop downloader doesn't work anymore and anyone that wanted Ironhax probably already has it by now.
Good riddance, frankly.

Reactions: V0ltr0n

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Menuhax>Ironhx anyway. Just wanted to give you a HUGE THANK YOU!!! in this thread. Sgt. Lulz your tutorial and help are greatly appreciated. I am proof that the guide works even for an ultra noobtard. :bow::grog::bow:

Byny

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just posting to report full success while following this guide.
Through ninjhax, I Downgraded my 9.9.0-26J with no issues and installed rxTools(some bumps here and there but I had no need to look beyond this guide for the solutions).

Thank you very much for making this so easy.

Razum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
REQUIREMENTS:
sysUpdater + Libkhax build (Taken from https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...ngrading-your-3ds.407888/page-95#post-5923820)
Having your 3DS charging during the process
Update package: I can't help you with this.
However, I can give you the checksums for known tested downgrade packages:
O3DS 9.2.0-20U:
MD5: 879f437d7c78f09ae565f79f5aa9c421
SHA-1: ccc272c495a84aa49f8db2da6072a79a73053e19​
O3DS 9.2.0-20E:
MD5: caec3e015bc065dd0ca512f219c8fc3c
SHA-1: 63f0e83892af0f43d159685b4d775e09360552e4​
O3DS 9.2.0-20J:
MD5: a7c14f50e553d99d93efd3a8dd4f8b9d
SHA-1: 422af53b07c270d65bf443d09736f3d1c540641c​

N3DS 9.2.0-20U:
MD5: e5f40c3b155cfd12ef38be35d2e81d2e
SHA-1: 377c140377fb6cf31a0c032c4e1196cc521f87fe​
N3DS 9.2.0-20E:
MD5: 6dcca8fcbc9a28c82c2a4e5182f3acf8
SHA-1: e7c77bf205137167f1f1befa0c4db9d879a21a2e​
N3DS 9.2.0-20J:
MD5: f46677696ed4bf0e182de5a8168b7542
SHA-1: c9a1aaf4a4923fb5e065546da5c4a4da37aafdb2​

1. Extract sysUpdater to your /3ds/ folder.
2. Extract the updates/ folder to your SD card root.

Can anyone explain the 2 bolded parts in this quote to me? I'll like to avoid messing up my o3ds. I have no clue what he means by update package, and the 2 things I've downloaded so far from his post (Homebrew Starter Kit and sysUpdater + Libkhax build) don't contain any sort of updates folder. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

lintz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Can anyone explain the 2 bolded parts in this quote to me? I'll like to avoid messing up my o3ds. I have no clue what he means by update package, and the 2 things I've downloaded so far from his post (Homebrew Starter Kit and sysUpdater + Libkhax build) don't contain any sort of updates folder. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

1. It means that it's not allowed to post links to the actual upgrade files you will need to google those.
2. After you have found those you need to extract the zip to a folder called updates with you need to put in the root of the sdcard for sysUpdater to find them.

thegameksk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all. I am not able to download the rxtools nightlys. The dropbox link says its been disabled due to too much traffic. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Gwstas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Reactions: thegameksk

Gwstas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
people still use dropbox in 2016?
Dropbox is OK, but when you see that the end users encounter problems with the fileservice(I'm looking at you 429 Dropbox error), and you haven't bothered to upload your stuff on another site, you deserve a punch in the face.

Aesus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello has anybody here tried the DNS block on the first page of this guide ?

And does the DNS block stop all update nags ?

iamhelltothee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I am trying to get step 11 done. So far everything has gone right but when CTRBootManagers purple screen shows, it reads:

Configuration file not found: /boot.cfg
Creating default configuration...
Press any key to continue...

Now, of course I have the boot.cfg in there, and I tried overwritting it and double checked the code written inside the file. Also gave it multiple tries but still nothing. And the screen just freezes, pressing "any key" does nothing and I have to turn off.

What am I doing wrong?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying