Tutorial More-or-less Catch-All Tutorial

Switch CFW tutorial to focus on ReiNAND?

• Switch to ReiNAND (Lighter footprint, seems to work better in most systems, native regionfree TBD)

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Keep using rxTools (Unstable, build Dropbox host goes down every other day, generally troublesome)

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

irumi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Let me share what happened earlier.

I've a N3DS XL with broken camera (must be a ribbon in the internals).
I've formatted my Emunand and was successful, but getting the black screen when boot-up.
Same thing happen when I formatted my Sysnand, I only get black screen but I can still access the recovery menu but won't let me update.
I assume that my unit is not totally brick, since I can still access the recovery menu, the black screen caused by a faulty camera for sure.
So to those who have with broken camera, NEVER EVER format your sysnand or you will most likely brick your unit.

I'll have it checked later for repairs and I'm confident once the camera has fixed, everything will be back to normal.

Here's another one, I've bought a new one (N3DS XL) and with 9.9-26U FW, tried downgrading it but after a lot attempts, always failed
When I finally managed to start the sysupdater and started downgrading the sysnand, after a few (around 5) successful installed, the system halted and got an error occurred message, so I said I'm f*cked... to my surprise, the unit still booted normally with 9.2.0-20U FW.
I reformatted the system to make sure that everything is fine, successfully reformat and tried CFW but not getting any response, so I assumed that my unit was not successfully downgraded due to the encountered error.
So I updated it to 10.3.0-28U and then attempted to downgrade again, this time the whole process ended successfully and I can now use CFW.

Will post an update regarding my other unit with broken camera.

leonpeepee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm running into an issue trying to unlink emunand from sysnand. I'm running an O3DS XL on 9.2U firmware and when trying to install TinyFormat.cia from the FBI installer (onto SD Card) I keep getting

Install Failed!
Could not install app.
Raw Error: 0xc8a0802b
Module: AM (0x20)
Level: Status (0x19)
Summary: Invalid state (0x5)
Decription: Database does not exist (0x2b)

leonpeepee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Turns out it was because I had no prior eshop downloads so the file/folders on my 3ds SD card files (the official 3ds directory files) weren't initialized yet!

garen45323

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I'm a bit confused on a step and would like some help.

I'm using a n3ds

>For good measure, also download ReiNAND 2.1. Extract its firmware.bin to rxtools/data. Rename to 0004013820000002.bin if using the Nightly or rename to 0004013820000002orig.bin if using the alternate version.

I can't find the rxtools/data folder. I got rxtools from the mirror provided in the op. should I create a the data folder? Thanks for your time.

fr3quency

Trophies
Website
fr3quency.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Greece
Thanks for the guide. Very easy to understand and +1 for mentioning TinyFormat. My friend that checked other guides was frustrated because they didn't mention about it, but sht happens.

One question I got. Before, when I was @ 10.3 stock firmware with just HomebrewLauncher, MenuHax and FBI.3dsx, I backed up my game cartridge's save with Save_Manager.3dsx. Now that I am on emuNAND, how do I backup both my game cartridge and .CIAs' saves? Select HomebrewLauncher when at CTRBootManager and use Save_Manager.3dsx from HomebrewLauncher or is there a better method that I can have access to from my main menu on emuNAND? Thanks for your time.

leonpeepee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, I messed up the unlink process a little bit and have to redo it so now I'm getting this issue when trying to install TinyFormat on emunand:

Install Failed!
Could not install app.
Raw Error: 0xd900458a
Module: FS (0x11)
Level: Permanent (ox1b)
Summary: Wrong argument (0x8)
Description: Uknown description (0x18a)

P

PaiiNSteven

Call me an idiot, but someone tell me what a hardmod is? Is it literally where you get the nand from the memory inside the 3DS?

TiggyMD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on old 3DS. I went through the entire process of getting my things unsynced, and got emunand working. I removed my SD card while the system was off, and downloaded the BigBlueMenu to the root in CIA, and when I went back to boot my 3DS while holding L, it booted to that purple menu as usual, but when I tried to launch rxtools, it freezes on a red bottom screen. I have no idea what would have caused this. If theres a solution, please say so, but if there isn't, is there atleast a midpoint I can start back off at in the tutorial?

fr3quency

Trophies
Website
fr3quency.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Greece
I'm on old 3DS. I went through the entire process of getting my things unsynced, and got emunand working. I removed my SD card while the system was off, and downloaded the BigBlueMenu to the root in CIA, and when I went back to boot my 3DS while holding L, it booted to that purple menu as usual, but when I tried to launch rxtools, it freezes on a red bottom screen. I have no idea what would have caused this. If theres a solution, please say so, but if there isn't, is there atleast a midpoint I can start back off at in the tutorial?
Sometimes it freezes even during MenuHax or booting into rxTools. Did you try 2-3 times?

leonpeepee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok so whenever I try to install .cias after unlinking I get this error

"Could not install app
level: Permanent (0x1b)
Description: Unknown description (0x18a)"

at first I was getting the error I got when I didn't have the db directory, so I made one in what I'm assuming is my emunand directory but now I'm getting this error

Lucidioebb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed the entire guide. I was succesfully able to install homemenuhax, downgrade, install rxtools and unlink emunand. Two questions:
1) can i have the same NNID on sysnand and emunand?
2) when i check the version on system settings and exit to the home menu, the condole reboot and exit rxtools. it's this normal?

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ok so whenever I try to install .cias after unlinking I get this error

"Could not install app
level: Permanent (0x1b)
Description: Unknown description (0x18a)"

at first I was getting the error I got when I didn't have the db directory, so I made one in what I'm assuming is my emunand directory but now I'm getting this error
I'm fairly certain you're supposed to open the eShop or go into System Settings > Data Management > 3DS to sanitize the dbs.
Never mind that, the last guide in the OP mentioned this:
3. You can solve 'No Database' errors in FBI by opening the eShop and closing it in EmuNAND.

In any case, it looks like the Lavanoid build bot is back up without 429 errors.
As an aside, I might end up refactoring my tutorial to offer CakesFW and ReiNAND as alternatives to rxTools. Thoughts?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol