OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not even going to try to make this neat or organized, I just need to rant and say shit as it comes off my mind, so I'm just throwing it down here.

I'd never think that money would ruin us this badly. My entire life we've had money. For the majority of my life I've been spoiled rotten. We've always had it. A new game came out, I'd get it. My brother wanted to go to a sports event, he got his ticket and some for his friends too. Ever since my massive asthma attack when I was eight years old, my folks always protected me and made sure I never really had to do anything. Fast forward to 2007, where my dad died in September.

From that point on everything changed. Almost all of our income ceased. At this time, the people living here were myself, my mom, my brother, and our friend. No one in his family wants him so he was left with us. Mom constantly has her pity feelings going on so he ended up staying with us. We were living at a condo owned by my dad's best friend who promised to help us out with dad gone. He ended up being full of shit, as I've posted about here before.

After the "friend" ended up being a gigantic douche to us, we ended up needing to move out. Using help from a family friend, he said we could live in his old (OLD) home off one of the state roads. So we moved there in April. We couldn't stay there for long. Allergies were flaring up there, the toilets kept breaking, there was so much wrong with this house. This is the point where our money income was getting at a serious loss. The only one with a job was mom. But it cost so much in gas to get her there every day, it was almost not worth it. During our short time there, we all started looking for jobs. My brother and friend managed to get one - each within walking distance. Here was where I realized I was going to struggle to find one. Mostly because of my past laziness, it's gotten to the point where no one has attempted to hire me. 19 years old, never held a job before, no car or license to get around. I remember applying at every place I could, even a gas station and the nearby Publix but no go from either. The money the friend got from his work was few because he only worked weekends but it helped us at time. He was the main reason mom was able to get to work. My brother.... He always spent his checks on himself and his bitch girlfriend. Not surprising but he could of helped out more. He's a whole other story that I don't feel like getting into.

We had to get out of that place asap so in September we moved to where we are now, this two bedroom apartment with four people in it. And this is where everything's going wrong. To put it shortly, the only income there is now is what mom earns from her work. My brother has officially gone into his own little world and insists on not searching for a job. My friend is a pulling a half assed attempt, but he's trying. Me? I'm still failing. There is an entire shopping center across the street that opened a few months after we got there. A Mcdonalds, Super Target, Gamestop, some cloth shops, Petsmart, a bunch of stores in there. No one is hiring or took me. I mean for god's sake even McDonalds turned me down. No one's hiring the 20 year old with no experience. Everyone claims I'm not trying when I am.

We have no car anymore. The car we were given, the registration on it has run out. We can't afford to renew it. Mom's license ran out, can't afford to fix it. Brother's is suspended - can't afford to fix it. So many bills and debts my mom's racked up somehow, can't afford to pay them off. The rent, the electric, we can barely pay those off. Our electric was actually off a few days ago and we only got it back yesterday. Every attempt to make money we can, my mom has pawned off every single game system I have spare for my PS2 (which is only because it wouldn't even net $30) and my PSP (which was pawned before.) I've lost my DS, the Wii, and the 360. Essentially my life was thrown away for a three day temporary solution. All the games I've gotten since such as L4D and Soulstorm and SF4 were all from trading in games I already have or borrowed from people. Hell for god's sake there's actually money I borrowed from someone, just a measley $8, and I have absolutely no fucking way to pay him back now. I feel like a total jackass about that. I can't even afford eight fucking dollars!

Now the whole shit that just happened here, I'm not going into details, but now friend has finally been told he has to leave. I feel like such a heel, I was the one who had to tell him. Me? I've always wanted to leave, but I have nowhere to go. I have no money to support myself, no one is hiring me so no one in their right mind would take me in, I have no car or license to get around... Not to mention if I left my mom would have a breakdown and go into an even more depressed state than she already is.

I have no idea what to do. Mom's insisting that we're going to get kicked out of the apartment here within the next month and if that happens it's over - We have nowhere else to go and we can't afford anywhere else to go. I have no idea what to do, no idea what to think of.

Please, someone slap me into reality. If someone thinks I'm making excuses, call me out on it. Please. I don't want this old bad habit dragging me down...

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
playallday said:
This isn't going to make you feel better but why didn't your Dad have life insurance?

Hope all goes well in the end.
He did. We all got an equal cut of it. Mom spent all of it on debts and bills. I gave her my cut to do the same thing. And Sean spent his on attempting to live on his own. He was gone for a few weeks then got evicted and had to come back home - he failed horribly. So it pretty much didn't help at all.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Gaisuto said:
playallday said:
This isn't going to make you feel better but why didn't your Dad have life insurance?

Hope all goes well in the end.
He did. We all got an equal cut of it. Mom spent all of it on debts and bills. I gave her my cut to do the same thing. And Sean spent his on attempting to live on his own. He was gone for a few weeks then got evicted and had to come back home - he failed horribly. So it pretty much didn't help at all.
Does your Mom work? Doesn't she have a good job? If she doesn't, why didn't your Dad have a bigger life insurance?

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know people are going to call me an asshole for saying this, but.

simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

Seriously man, learn to manage finances. And you having an asthma attack is nothing serious. Hell, I had one the day I was born. Get over yourself, get a job, and quit complaining about money problems. People have it worse off than you do.

Isaiah

The Conductor
Trophies
XP
Country
^^^ Is a total dick with no sympathy. Wow that's horrible... Being turned down by McDonalds! perhaps you could find a friend that owns a shop or works at a shop and get them to arrange a job for you? Plus I don't mean to be mean but how much was in the life insurance thing?

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
~Kuraudo's Sword~ said:
^^^ Is a total dick with no sympathy. Wow that's horrible... Being turned down by McDonalds! perhaps you could find a friend that owns a shop or works at a shop and get them to arrange a job for you? Plus I don't mean to be mean but how much was in the life insurance thing?

See? People hate it when the truth is said.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
playallday said:
Does your Mom work? Doesn't she have a good job? If she doesn't, why didn't your Dad have a bigger life insurance?
She does, she's the only real income in the house. She works as a Secretary for Yellow Book. Thing is what she makes isn't enough to cover everything.

Linkiboy said:
Wow man tough I dunno what to say... aren't you eligible for some type of welfare?
Tried it, food stamps, a ton of other government things. They've turned us down for everything.

QUOTE(~Kuraudo's Sword~ @ Feb 14 2009, 05:47 PM)
I've tried asking around, none of their places are hiring or are needing any help. And I don't remember how much exactly was the life insurance...
Somethings I said may be off a bit, left out in general, or even a bit vague. I was just saying what came to my head immediately.

And for the Asthma Attack thing, it was one that put me in the hospital for over a month. I didn't want my parents to protect me, I was a stupid little kid who just went with what my parents thought was "for the best." They didn't know what would end up happening in the long run.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Bro I dont know what to say, your whole situation is messed up.

Firstly you need to have a serious talk with your brother, it sounds to me like hes living in denial about your situation and how bad it is. Both of you need to work something out to help your mother, its pretty obvious she is doing all she can, but its not enough. You basically need to tell your bro straight "If we dont do something, right now, were going to be homeless soon."

As for a job, well maybe you cant find yourself traditional employment, but Im sure with a little hard work you can find some sort of odd jobs just to get some cash in. You know knock on peoples doors even, ask if they need any yard work done, windows washed, their car washed, you know anything that can make you a bit of cash for now. And you can job hunt at the same time too.

The only way you are going to get your family out of this is to get everyone together, and you all have to do whatever it takes to fix it.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I knew that sounded too good to be true, they're not even hiring. Bah.
Tomorrow I'm going to search yet again for a job... Somebody out there has to be hiring...

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
have you considered pawning yourself out to fix peoples computers and such? if you are here you must be at least some sort of geek I would assume. it can actually pay quite well, I do it myself and can make £15 -£20 a hour.

if you can raise a little money, you could always try buying a few DSTTs and MicroSDs, loading a load of games onto them, and selling them for grossly inflated prices that idiots seem to be willing to pay. its not pretty, but sometimes all you have left to sell is your soul.

m3rox said:
~Kuraudo's Sword~ said:

See? People hate it when the truth is said.
you know, you really should learn the meaning of the word "tact", it is quite a useful tool, and it would serve you well to learn how to use it.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what to say bro. My dad's unemployed and I got a part time job while I'm in school trying to support both my parents, brother and girlfriend. My girlfriend doesn't have a job 'cause her schedule's filled with school. My bro has a lot of extra curriculum that he attends and is doing good in school so I don't want him to get a job and get distracted. Only my mom's at work, but we're doing fine so I don't have too much of a problem.

But I find it hard to support everyone at the same time.. I wouldn't know how much more pain you feel by doing all that. It's gonna be a shit life for now, but try your best and find a job asap. I know you're trying, but keep pushing yourself. You'll get one eventually.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
It..... I don't know what to say anymore, it sure is a downfall, you made me realize that no matter how sucks my dad can be, he's supporting the very pillar of my life right now
frown.gif

Is there any of your friends that can provide you with some work? Try local gamestore or something, if you have a good general knowledge, they might hire you.

Is there some kind of Information Center to find work? We have one here, it provides some good info, but if McD's even turned you down... then you can't be a clerk or something, if you have a good build, and know stuffs, try to apply as a gym trainer, but since you said you've got ashtma, that's nearly impossible

Looking from your physical condition, you can't do tiring work, but your situation is too complex, where do you live?

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I forgot in my last post. Have you tried looking at local hospitals for jobs? over here they always seem to advertising for porters (basically, people that push beds around hospital), it usually pays well for unskilled work because most people don't like hospitals.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I know it's hard to get work at the moment. All you can do it pitch as many balls down as many avenues as possible and hope someone throws one back. It's depressing yes, but you'll get there eventually. Try not to be too picky, if you're as desperate for money as you say.

Have you tried registering with a temping agency? (do you have those too in the US?). Don't worry if you can't drive, they should ask you loads of questions like that when you register so they'll pick out suitable placements. Sure, you will be jumping from one place to another all the time and it won't be an instant fix (I don't know how they work but I doubt they guarantee a job straight away or at all) but at least it's something else to try.

Do you have Job Centres in the US? (over here it's a government organisation tied closely with unemployment benefit which aims at helping people get back into work. Even if they won't give you any money they may still offer help with finding work, and have vacancy lists for unskilled work and junior roles). Or anything remotely similar, citizen's advice and the sucklike? It sounds like it might be time to get some advice, they can help you get a job (any job) and while it's not an instant solution and it can still take months they might suggest and open avenues to fields other than shop work that you might not've considered or even thought of yet.

Or even unpaid work experience placements. I know the unpaid aspect won't help you instantly, but racking up a little bit of experience will give you something to put on your CV to give it a bit more weight, and you can keep looking for work while you're doing it. I don't know how one goes about getting placements though, but at leats it's another thing to think about.

If you haven't already, it might be time to take a good look at the reasons why they won't offer you any welfare help, and seriously consider if maybe they've got a point. It's hard to take, but if there's a good reason behind it then maybe a few changes in lifestyle are in order, maybe moving to an even cheaper house in a different area. Being unable to drive, the closer you are to a town centre the better.

I know it's difficult, but I hope it works out for you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.