Mod JPN AC adapter for another region

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by Snugglevixen, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Snugglevixen
    OP

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    I'm importing a Japanese GameCube and GB Player today (going with Japanese for various reasons) and my country uses PAL voltage.

The cheapest I can import a PAL ac adapter is $43 and I'd like to avoid the cheap Chinese AC adapters (I like my insurance policy). I can get a transformer to use with the Japanese AC adapter for $7 more but I hear insurance companies aren't too fond of those either.

Does anyone know if the GameCube AC adapter is is lying about being single voltage like the Wii U AC adapter?
    Is it possible to mod a Japanese AC adapter to accept PAL voltage?

2. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    I doubt there's been much testing of this. GameCube has an external AC adapter, rarely a reason for anyone to intentionally import one.

3. Snugglevixen
    OP

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    Just got it today. The AC adapter screws were too tight to get it open so I decided to carefully test it and see if it gets hot quickly and what my multimeter reads off it. As soon as I turned it on I got a pop.
    Gonna make more attempts at opening it to see what can be salvaged. I noticed that it's output is very similar to the Wii's so I might try replicating my Wii AC adapter.

So if anyone was wondering, no a Japanese GC AC adapter is NOT dual voltage.

4. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    I would buy a New Zealand AC Adapter and not even bother with a step down converter or modifying the adapter.

5. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    What input does the Japanese AC adapter say on it, only 100V or 100V-230V?

Is there any reason why you can't get a AC adapter from your region?

6. sandytf

sandytf GBAtemp Regular

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Experimenting with AC adapters can be very dangerous. If you don't have experience with AC adapter design, I suggest you take the safe approach and just buy a new adapter or converter.

7. Schizoanalysis

Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Jun 23, 2009
    I am sure your insurance company would not want you modifying electrical adapters either.

This makes no sense why you choose to do this, if you are so concerned with insurance.

8. Snugglevixen
    OP

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    looked allover the internet, all I can find is a cheap chinese dual voltage adapter that probably cut corners and isn't safe and a UK AC adapter that nearly costs as much as a transformer.

Well, we gotta get the experience from somewhere right? That's why I have been asking the internet for some information on AC adapter design.

I'm quite safety conscious and wouldn't use my modified adapter if I felt I hadn't done a professional enough job.

Anyway, I blew it trying to test it and even if I salvaged it, it might be more trouble than it's worth to repair (there is a LOT of rattling inside)
    I got my Wii AC adaper hooked up now (there's only a 4-6 watt and .45A rating difference) so I'm not really bothered anymore. Hopefully I can get a new Wii AC adapter before my brother's birthday since I'm giving him the Wii.