GCN Mod JPN AC adapter for another region

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,184
  • Replies 7
D

Deleted User

OP
I'm importing a Japanese GameCube and GB Player today (going with Japanese for various reasons) and my country uses PAL voltage.

The cheapest I can import a PAL ac adapter is $43 and I'd like to avoid the cheap Chinese AC adapters (I like my insurance policy). I can get a transformer to use with the Japanese AC adapter for $7 more but I hear insurance companies aren't too fond of those either.

Does anyone know if the GameCube AC adapter is is lying about being single voltage like the Wii U AC adapter?
Is it possible to mod a Japanese AC adapter to accept PAL voltage?

D

Deleted User

OP
Just got it today. The AC adapter screws were too tight to get it open so I decided to carefully test it and see if it gets hot quickly and what my multimeter reads off it. As soon as I turned it on I got a pop.
Gonna make more attempts at opening it to see what can be salvaged. I noticed that it's output is very similar to the Wii's so I might try replicating my Wii AC adapter.

So if anyone was wondering, no a Japanese GC AC adapter is NOT dual voltage.

sandytf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Experimenting with AC adapters can be very dangerous. If you don't have experience with AC adapter design, I suggest you take the safe approach and just buy a new adapter or converter.

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I am sure your insurance company would not want you modifying electrical adapters either.

This makes no sense why you choose to do this, if you are so concerned with insurance.

D

Deleted User

OP
What input does the Japanese AC adapter say on it, only 100V or 100V-230V?

Is there any reason why you can't get a AC adapter from your region?
looked allover the internet, all I can find is a cheap chinese dual voltage adapter that probably cut corners and isn't safe and a UK AC adapter that nearly costs as much as a transformer.

Experimenting with AC adapters can be very dangerous. If you don't have experience with AC adapter design, I suggest you take the safe approach and just buy a new adapter or converter.
Well, we gotta get the experience from somewhere right? That's why I have been asking the internet for some information on AC adapter design.

I'm quite safety conscious and wouldn't use my modified adapter if I felt I hadn't done a professional enough job.

Anyway, I blew it trying to test it and even if I salvaged it, it might be more trouble than it's worth to repair (there is a LOT of rattling inside)
I got my Wii AC adaper hooked up now (there's only a 4-6 watt and .45A rating difference) so I'm not really bothered anymore. Hopefully I can get a new Wii AC adapter before my brother's birthday since I'm giving him the Wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to...