Homebrew Micro SD Card Reader (for the R4) giving me grief

krscholar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently bought an R4 DS off Amazon and a Micro SD card (Kingston) 2gb off Amazon as well. When I put the Micro SD in the Micro SD USB reader, and that into the computer, it loads up it's little thing and says "your new hardware is ready to use". Then I double click on the new drive in the "My Computer" but it says "Please insert a disk into drive F" like i don't already have a MicroSD in the reader in the computer. Now, I know the Micro SD memory card works because I've been able to put that into the SD adapter and that into an old mp3 player, and connect it to the pc, but the Micro SD card to the Micro SD reader (that came with the R4 DS) doesn't seem to work. My brother suggested that it could be compatibility issues: like Kingston cards don't go with that reader. What do you think the issue is? The reader does light up when connected and it seems to be recognized with the computer, it just doesn't recognize that I have a micro SD inside it. Is Kingston at fault or something else?

Help please.

Thanks.

MUBK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My microSD reader (that came with the R4) works on my computer, so it might be your computer or microSD card. Can't you use the SD adapter instead of the microSD reader (I heard that the microSD reader that comes with the R4 can damage your microSD card, not sure if it's true though)?

Leto

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Same here. The reader I got with my R4 (clone) is actually the fastest and most reliable out of the 4 I have.

jerome_nl

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I bought my set yesterday, same issue. (Tried on 3 differents PC's : Dell with Vista, IBM Notebook XP prof and Fujitsu-Siemens with XP Home). Also I tried 2 other memory roms, same result. The memory rom (kingston) when connected with another technology (adapter in special slot) works fine. all ROM's are working with 1.21 and 1.22 software. Very Strange !!!

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
was the msd you bought of amazon open? there is a chance you need to format it before you can click on it and use it. the msd reader that comes with the official r4 is 'ok' to use. mine only crapped out once and gave my install of xp a black screen of death. i didn't even know xp has a black screen of death until that happened. the kingston reader i have is much better and smaller.

-another world

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I actually lost the reader that came with my R4 but it wasn't that great in the first place. Slow reading and writing and occasionally it wouldn't even read it at all or even attempt to format it.

I gave up trying to find it since it was crap anyways and got a Kingston brand reader of Amazon and it's been wonderful.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.