Memory Lane #2: The GBA SP's 15th anniversary

gbaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png

Welcome back, readers! This is the second issue of our "Memory Lane" series, where I write about influential and nostalgic games and hardware that have reached an anniversary milestone. It seems like you all enjoyed the first article, which is great! This time, we're going to be celebrating another 15th birthday of a beloved Nintendo product once more. Today's discussion is focused on the one, the only, the now 15 year old Game Boy Advance SP!

2c307c45ebbcc9b222d21dc7ccbf3262.jpg

With the launch of the Game Boy Advance back in 2001, Nintendo was enjoying incredible success thanks to their new handheld. Nearly two years after its launch in North America, a set of Pokemon games had just released. A new Golden Sun and Castlevania game were on the horizon and about to hit store shelves as well, so how could things possibly get any better? Enter the Game Boy Advance...SP. Released 15 years ago today on March 23, 2003 for North America, (March 28 for other western regions) for $99.99, it entirely revolutionized Nintendo handhelds. Thanks to a frontlit LCD screen, players no longer had to suffer when playing games without a light source. In a dark world filled only with wormlights, the GBA SP was the new shining beacon.

Not only did the SP introduce a handheld with a lit screen to a large audience (The Game Boy Light pre-dates this, but wasn't as widespread), it also started the clamshell design trend which would continue on through the Nintendo DS and 3DS lines, letting people fold the system so that it became easy to fit in one's pocket, while also protecting the screen. Not only was it compact, but at 142g/5oz it was incredibly light, too. Adding onto to the list of new features, there was the lithium ion battery, which meant that the days of salvaging nearly-dead AA batteries from your TV remotes finally came to an end, as you could now simply plug the GBA SP in to the AC adapter to recharge it.

The GBA SP came in 4 different colors when it launched, Cobalt blue, Platinum silver, Onyx black, and Flame red. There would be dozens of different limited editions released as well, with colors and models based off things such as the NES, a Tribal pattern, Pokemon, orange, pearl white, and more. In 2005, there would be a refresh of the line, with the Pearl blue and Graphite black versions, which sported the well-known and loved AGS-101 backlit screen, which was even brighter.

3ba6a7a3.jpg

Despite all the additions, there was a very significant omission, in the lack of a dedicated headphone jack. It caused a fair bit of criticism at the time, but luckily, there was an add-on adapter that would connect to the AC port and allow you to plug a pair of headphones into it. Some players also found the SP's form factor too small to hold comfortably, so many third-party grips were available as well. The GBA SP could also make use of the wireless link adapter, the GameCube connector cable, flashcarts, and nearly all other original GBA accessories. It also inherited the ability to play GB and GBC games via backwards compatibility, so it not only had access to its own library of amazing games, but you could also go back and experience older games in a new way with the bright screen.

Exactly one year later, on March 23, 2004, the system had broken the record at the time for having sold the highest number of units for either a handheld or home console in a launch year, at 6.5 million sold. By the time it was discontinued in 2008, it would go on to have sold around 44 million units total. Now, fifteen years after its release, the GBA SP is remembered fondly for the changes and influences it made. For many gamers out there, it was their first handheld, or possibly their first experience with Nintendo games. Which version of the GBA is your favorite? Did you own an SP? Or did you skip out on this revision? Be sure to share your thoughts, stories, and opinions below in the thread!

If you liked this article, and would like to see more of these anniversary celebrations in the future, be sure to comment as well, and mention which upcoming game anniversary you'd like to see featured in future threads! :yaysp:

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just posted this pic in another thread a few days ago. That's my daughter, Christmas Day 2007, with her brand new metallic pink AGS-101. It was the last GBA I could find on the shelves of any store in our town. Her big brother said I should buy her a DS, but I vetoed that and got the GBA instead. I also have a black AGS-101.

4Ev5Q0g.jpg

She's 14 now and both of our GBA's still sees regular use.

Reactions: Old

Boured

A Dusk Lycanroc who cares a lot about people.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GBA is my favorite console period, so much childhood locked behind a 240 x 160 screen. Whether it be Pokemon, Metroid, Mario, and especially Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. This console will always hold a special place in my memory.

D

Deleted User

My second handheld console. I got a silver one with pokemon ruby. That lite screen was soooooooo amazing, no more squinting by the light. Glad we never had to go back.
love the article Chary keep em coming!

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
the GBA micro was very underrated screen looks amazing on it and its so dinky it really can go with you anywhere, funny Nintendo started the no headphone port years before apple joined the party, honestly for years I didn't even notice there wasn't a headphone port I remember reading it online and thinking it was fake news and going to check my console :rofl:
The Micro would have been amazing if it still kept backwards compatibility IMO.
I am a sucker for ultraportable devices even though I have big hands lol.

Old

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even though 2DS XL plays GBA games, I'm still really tempted to buy one of these just to have it around if nothing else:

s-l500.jpg

They're 101 refurbished units at about $130 on eBay.

Wait, they made a 2DS XL, and it’s got a GBA slot?!

Reactions: Xzi

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I remember in 2003, gotten my first GBA SP.
The darned thing lived until somewhere in 2011, when it was snapped in halves by a angry parent :C

But I don't sweat it that much. I eventually made my own money, acquired many units, and now I have the best of the best: A classic GBA with a 101 screen in it :D

Reactions: THYPLEX

Old

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Parents being parents.

Some may think it's abuse, but I must agree it's in fact education.

Life lessons & doses of reality are essential, but violently/angrily destroying something is a bit over the edge. Sure, my folks threatened to throw stuff away for various reasons and I did lose a fair few Star Wars weapons to the vacuum cleaner, but they never willfully destroyed our toys/games.

My sister did toss my nephew's (I gave him the damned thing, little bastard) NES in the trash right in front of him, though. Although I wish she'd have called on ME to grab the system before she trashed it, I understand in these circumstances. He was acting out in in a bad way, things like blowing off all schoolwork/chores in favor of video games, disrespecting everyone, and physically attacking kids at school.
In my nephew's case I had to step in and help raise him; his dad was/still is an ineffectual lump that can't be bothered with him nor his sisters, and my sister was getting near the end of her rope.

Reactions: VinsCool

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Life lessons & doses of reality are essential, but violently/angrily destroying something is a bit over the edge. Sure, my folks threatened to throw stuff away for various reasons and I did lose a fair few Star Wars weapons to the vacuum cleaner, but they never willfully destroyed our toys/games.

My sister did toss my nephew's (I gave him the damned thing, little bastard) NES in the trash right in front of him, though. Although I wish she'd have called on ME to grab the system before she trashed it, I understand in these circumstances. He was acting out in in a bad way, things like blowing off all schoolwork/chores in favor of video games, disrespecting everyone, and physically attacking kids at school.
In my nephew's case I had to step in and help raise him; his dad was/still is an ineffectual lump that can't be bothered with him nor his sisters, and my sister was getting near the end of her rope.
On my case, it was deserved since I was a little shit who refused to respect authority.
I was threatened to have my GBA snapped in 2, and it happened since I didn't get my shit together.
Afterward, I did get my shit together because I didn't want another console snapped in 2 :P

Reactions: Old

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny