Memory Lane #2: The GBA SP's 15th anniversary

gbaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png

Welcome back, readers! This is the second issue of our "Memory Lane" series, where I write about influential and nostalgic games and hardware that have reached an anniversary milestone. It seems like you all enjoyed the first article, which is great! This time, we're going to be celebrating another 15th birthday of a beloved Nintendo product once more. Today's discussion is focused on the one, the only, the now 15 year old Game Boy Advance SP!

2c307c45ebbcc9b222d21dc7ccbf3262.jpg

With the launch of the Game Boy Advance back in 2001, Nintendo was enjoying incredible success thanks to their new handheld. Nearly two years after its launch in North America, a set of Pokemon games had just released. A new Golden Sun and Castlevania game were on the horizon and about to hit store shelves as well, so how could things possibly get any better? Enter the Game Boy Advance...SP. Released 15 years ago today on March 23, 2003 for North America, (March 28 for other western regions) for $99.99, it entirely revolutionized Nintendo handhelds. Thanks to a frontlit LCD screen, players no longer had to suffer when playing games without a light source. In a dark world filled only with wormlights, the GBA SP was the new shining beacon.

Not only did the SP introduce a handheld with a lit screen to a large audience (The Game Boy Light pre-dates this, but wasn't as widespread), it also started the clamshell design trend which would continue on through the Nintendo DS and 3DS lines, letting people fold the system so that it became easy to fit in one's pocket, while also protecting the screen. Not only was it compact, but at 142g/5oz it was incredibly light, too. Adding onto to the list of new features, there was the lithium ion battery, which meant that the days of salvaging nearly-dead AA batteries from your TV remotes finally came to an end, as you could now simply plug the GBA SP in to the AC adapter to recharge it.

The GBA SP came in 4 different colors when it launched, Cobalt blue, Platinum silver, Onyx black, and Flame red. There would be dozens of different limited editions released as well, with colors and models based off things such as the NES, a Tribal pattern, Pokemon, orange, pearl white, and more. In 2005, there would be a refresh of the line, with the Pearl blue and Graphite black versions, which sported the well-known and loved AGS-101 backlit screen, which was even brighter.

3ba6a7a3.jpg

Despite all the additions, there was a very significant omission, in the lack of a dedicated headphone jack. It caused a fair bit of criticism at the time, but luckily, there was an add-on adapter that would connect to the AC port and allow you to plug a pair of headphones into it. Some players also found the SP's form factor too small to hold comfortably, so many third-party grips were available as well. The GBA SP could also make use of the wireless link adapter, the GameCube connector cable, flashcarts, and nearly all other original GBA accessories. It also inherited the ability to play GB and GBC games via backwards compatibility, so it not only had access to its own library of amazing games, but you could also go back and experience older games in a new way with the bright screen.

Exactly one year later, on March 23, 2004, the system had broken the record at the time for having sold the highest number of units for either a handheld or home console in a launch year, at 6.5 million sold. By the time it was discontinued in 2008, it would go on to have sold around 44 million units total. Now, fifteen years after its release, the GBA SP is remembered fondly for the changes and influences it made. For many gamers out there, it was their first handheld, or possibly their first experience with Nintendo games. Which version of the GBA is your favorite? Did you own an SP? Or did you skip out on this revision? Be sure to share your thoughts, stories, and opinions below in the thread!

If you liked this article, and would like to see more of these anniversary celebrations in the future, be sure to comment as well, and mention which upcoming game anniversary you'd like to see featured in future threads! :yaysp:

xs4all

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Like the SNES days, I had a lot of fun with the original GBA, just brought back memories of the 16-bit era at the time, but this time in hand held. Like a few of you, I attempted to do the back light mod, lets say that didn't do to well :(

Then came the SP, had small hands back then so it wasn't an issue, then when the GBA Micro came out, I imported the limited edition NES themed Micro, then later finding out about the AGS-101 model, then I got this as well.

For those that still have the original SP AGS-001 model, I highly recommend tracking down a reasonable priced AGS-101 model, the backlight is like night and day between the these two.

Long live old school gaming, when thing weren't complicated with the graphics and it all game down to game play, balanced with graphics.

Reactions: PrincessLillie

SSG Vegeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the GBA model more. The SP feels to cramped for my hands.

I installed a back light in my GBA so I have the best of both worlds in my opinion. SP's are still cool though.
View attachment 118333

I agree with you about the Sp being cramped it's kinda funny how at first I didn't notice it back when I got mine on day one but after playing my 2DS XL I realized how cramped it was after revisiting the Sp.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Even though 2DS XL plays GBA games, I'm still really tempted to buy one of these just to have it around if nothing else:

s-l500.jpg

They're 101 refurbished units at about $130 on eBay.
Note that this is a rip off. That is - almost certainly - not an original shell from Nintendo, it's a GBA SP 101 stuffed into an aftermarket shell. These shells are available for less than 10€ from china (I paid 7€ for the Nintendo one shown in your picture) and you can easily do it yourself. Look on ebay for an AGS 101 in any outer condition you want (mine was 50€ and pretty banged up on the outside) as long as it is working, buy the shell from china and have your own custom GBA :)
Note that the NES Edition of this console was never available as an AGS-101 model, this only existeda as the 001.

I mean, they're not bad quality, it's just a considerable premium for something that's not "original" (i.e. - this never existed)

On the topic of this thread: I skipped the GBA SP back in the day. I prefered the regular GBA for it being more comfortable to hold and for using regular AA batteries (which I still think is a big plus on a portable gaming console). The screen was bad, thouh so I can see why people bought this device. And in the end, this device is what allows us nowadays to backlit the original GBA :)

Last edited by Localhorst86,

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GBA SP is the whole reason I got into the Gameboy Advance scene. In 2003, it was arguably the best portable NES* with PocketNES. Backlit screen + recharable battery were the biggest thing missing from the Gameboy line. The clamshell design should have been the obvious thing to protect the screen and have a truly portable pocket system. Like others, though, the small controls are too much for me now. So, I've mostly moved on to the GB Player/NDS Lite/2DS for my GBA playing. Sadly the latter two don't support remapping the buttons to a more comfortable arrangement, or they'd probably be comfortable enough for long-term play.

* All the alternatives at the time (please correct me if I'm wrong) used battery eating CRT screens and required a bulky physical cartridge. The last part is the biggest killer. If the US had Famicom sized cartridges, it'd have been a different story for me, I think.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In 2003, it was arguably the best portable NES* with PocketNES. Backlit Frontlit screen + recharable battery were the biggest thing missing from the Gameboy line.
Fixed that for you :P. But yeah, the point was: it was lit at all. Back in the day I used my GP32 for emulation which had a better screen than the regular GBA but wasnt lit either.

Last edited by Localhorst86,

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fixed that for you :P. But yeah, the point was: it was lit at all. Back in the day I used my GP32 for emulation which had a better screen than the regular GBA but wasnt lit either.

Yea, sorry, I meant frontlit. I ended up getting a GP32 and as awesome as it was, my bigger complaint would be that it didn't support LFN (as MS's patents on it didn't expire until 2016?). That and the joystick on it was quite terrible. The buttons were okay, IIRC. In any case, I didn't end up getting a GP32 until there were FLUs and even then didn't learn about them until 2003/2004 (IIRC). *shrug* Beyond the emulation, the GP32 also had a nice ogg vorbis player which I actually used it more for. I still used my GBA more for games.

THYPLEX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I love this console , this is where i found my biggest love :

Attachments

• Wario_land.png
    Wario_land.png
    177.2 KB · Views: 168

SSG Vegeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welcome back, readers! This is the second issue of our "Memory Lane" series, where I write about influential and nostalgic games and hardware that have reached an anniversary milestone. It seems like you all enjoyed the first article, which is great! This time, we're going to be celebrating another 15th birthday of a beloved Nintendo product once more. Today's discussion is focused on the one, the only, the now 15 year old Game Boy Advance SP!

With the launch of the Game Boy Advance back in 2001, Nintendo was enjoying incredible success thanks to their new handheld. Nearly two years after its launch in North America, a set of Pokemon games had just released. A new Golden Sun and Castlevania game were on the horizon and about to hit store shelves as well, so how could things possibly get any better? Enter the Game Boy Advance...SP. Released 15 years ago today on March 23, 2003 for North America, (March 28 for other western regions) for $99.99, it entirely revolutionized Nintendo handhelds. Thanks to a frontlit LCD screen, players no longer had to suffer when playing games without a light source. In a dark world filled only with wormlights, the GBA SP was the new shining beacon.

Not only did the SP introduce a handheld with a lit screen to a large audience (The Game Boy Light pre-dates this, but wasn't as widespread), it also started the clamshell design trend which would continue on through the Nintendo DS and 3DS lines, letting people fold the system so that it became easy to fit in one's pocket, while also protecting the screen. Not only was it compact, but at 142g/5oz it was incredibly light, too. Adding onto to the list of new features, there was the lithium ion battery, which meant that the days of salvaging nearly-dead AA batteries from your TV remotes finally came to an end, as you could now simply plug the GBA SP in to the AC adapter to recharge it.

The GBA SP came in 4 different colors when it launched, Cobalt blue, Platinum silver, Onyx black, and Flame red. There would be dozens of different limited editions released as well, with colors and models based off things such as the NES, a Tribal pattern, Pokemon, orange, pearl white, and more. In 2005, there would be a refresh of the line, with the Pearl blue and Graphite black versions, which sported the well-known and loved AGS-101 backlit screen, which was even brighter.

Despite all the additions, there was a very significant omission, in the lack of a dedicated headphone jack. It caused a fair bit of criticism at the time, but luckily, there was an add-on adapter that would connect to the AC port and allow you to plug a pair of headphones into it. Some players also found the SP's form factor too small to hold comfortably, so many third-party grips were available as well. The GBA SP could also make use of the wireless link adapter, the GameCube connector cable, flashcarts, and nearly all other original GBA accessories. It also inherited the ability to play GB and GBC games via backwards compatibility, so it not only had access to its own library of amazing games, but you could also go back and experience older games in a new way with the bright screen.

Exactly one year later, on March 23, 2004, the system had broken the record at the time for having sold the highest number of units for either a handheld or home console in a launch year, at 6.5 million sold. By the time it was discontinued in 2008, it would go on to have sold around 44 million units total. Now, fifteen years after its release, the GBA SP is remembered fondly for the changes and influences it made. For many gamers out there, it was their first handheld, or possibly their first experience with Nintendo games. Which version of the GBA is your favorite? Did you own an SP? Or did you skip out on this revision? Be sure to share your thoughts, stories, and opinions below in the thread!

If you liked this article, and would like to see more of these anniversary celebrations in the future, be sure to comment as well, and mention which upcoming game anniversary you'd like to see featured in future threads! :yaysp:

Idk about anniversarys but could you do something regarding GBA clone systems please?

Reactions: Chary

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The SP headphones/adapters also worked on the original DS, so you could technically have two pairs of headphones plugged in, GBA style plus just regular headphones in the headphone jack. I dunno if this is super useful, but it's possible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...