WIP melonDS for Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Hydr8gon, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Chrona

Chrona Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2008
    Canada
    Nice to know you'll still be working on it :) I agree that a native solution would be much nicer in the long run

2. hallo23

hallo23 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    Germany
    Please keep working on it!
    Android is nice and all but who wants to boot into another OS and switches SD cards everytime they want to play a DS game?

Please don't give up and continue!
    Love your work on the Switch =)

3. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Thanks for the news.. I guess Android on Switch is not out yet right?

4. iCEQB

iCEQB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 2, 2013
    United States
    Thank you for saying that !

5. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Addict

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Absolutely agree about dual booting. I'd rather keep my DS games on my 3DS than do that.

6. Elalexyzoner

Elalexyzoner Alex95

Jun 5, 2016
    Mexico
    Near Texas
    It is beautiful to see DS games on Switch, i love to see them on my TV

7. EmulateLife

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Actually I only have a handful of DS games on my 3DS the few that don't work for me the rest are on my Wii U. Like 90% of the are on my Wii U and they look nice on my TV as well and the gamepad works well with the TV screen to have two screens. :)

Last edited by EmulateLife, Jul 2, 2019
    Elalexyzoner likes this.
  8. Elalexyzoner

Elalexyzoner Alex95

Jun 5, 2016
    Mexico
    Near Texas
    Well... of course they are better on the Wii U but... she is dead! accept it already!

9. EmulateLife

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Maybe for buying new games. My Wii U is very much alive with 300 games on it (Wii U + Wii + Gamecube + DS + N64) and I'm not getting rid of it ever.

Love my Switch too though they go hand in hand to give me almost every good Nintendo game ever.

Anyway I'm off topic so I'll stop.

MythicalData likes this.
  10. azoreseuropa
    This message by azoreseuropa has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jul 9, 2019, Reason: Offtopic.
    Jul 2, 2019
  11. Ghost92

Ghost92 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 29, 2017
    Colombia
    Fps from Ninu Kuni?

12. Elalexyzoner
    This message by Elalexyzoner has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jul 9, 2019, Reason: Offtopic.
    Jul 2, 2019
  13. Csmrcc
    This message by Csmrcc has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jul 9, 2019, Reason: Offtopic.
    Jul 2, 2019
  14. seanp2500

seanp2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 2, 2010
    United States
    Wii u is certainly not dead thanks to the cool things it still does very well. Ds being one of them. Don’t forget you can actually up the res of ds games in wii u to 2x. I notice alot of people don’t even know that...

Yes i agree with the other posts. While drastic might ultimately be the way it would be cool to not have to boot to an android install just to play some ds

15. Elalexyzoner

Elalexyzoner Alex95

Jun 5, 2016
    Mexico
    Near Texas
    You cannot have your DS games portable in the Wii U, thats the huge disadvantage against Switch

Last edited by Elalexyzoner, Jul 2, 2019
  16. StapleButter

StapleButter 'New Member' registered since 2009. Fuck yea.

Dec 5, 2009
    France
    don't forget about those 'portable Wii' casemods

pretty sure you can achieve similar results with a WiiU

17. Elalexyzoner

Elalexyzoner Alex95

Jun 5, 2016
    Mexico
    Near Texas
    But why...? a Switch is the best option.

18. Josshy0125
    This message by Josshy0125 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jul 9, 2019, Reason: Offtopic.
    Jul 2, 2019
  19. Exclamation_Point
    This message by Exclamation_Point has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jul 9, 2019, Reason: Offtopic.
    Jul 2, 2019
  20. Csmrcc
    This message by Csmrcc has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jul 9, 2019, Reason: Offtopic.
    Jul 2, 2019
  21. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    You do realize that android and cfw can be on the same sd card right? You do realize that android will have a reboot to ofw/cfw option right?

22. Josshy0125

Josshy0125 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2019
    United Kingdom
    You do realize that not everyone wants to have to boot into android to play ds, right? I say to the creator, keep working on it at your own pace, if you feel the want and desire to do so. Good work.

23. StapleButter
    This message by StapleButter has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jul 9, 2019, Reason: Offtopic.
    Jul 8, 2019
  24. Josshy0125
    This message by Josshy0125 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jul 9, 2019, Reason: Offtopic.
    Jul 8, 2019
  25. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    I wholeheartedly agree with this.
    I am 100% against the idea of having other OSs running on the console.
    Not because they shouldn't, they offer a great PoC and can help develop drivers for the thing, but because people will jump to them at the first sight of decent emulation.

I have always preferred emulators made as homebrew apps for the console's original OS.
    That's where the devs have their chance to shine and bring something incredible to the machine.
    But not if people just flock like seagulls to the Android bait.

It pulls both users and devs away from any interest just because "there's already a workaround".
    Screw that.
    Not to mention that some devs might use that as a point for not even bothering porting an emu.

Last edited by ShadowOne333, Jul 8, 2019
    azoreseuropa likes this.
  26. Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2015
    Mexico
    Rewarding to 0.8.2, I would say hw rendering is on pair to sw in performance, I think the next step to improve the switch port is obvious: a dynamic recompiler. Other than that I don't think perf improvements can be done.

27. catlover007

catlover007 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 23, 2015
    Germany
    there's still potential besides the JIT. Both the 2D and the SW 3D renderer aren't running as fast as they could (esp. for the 3D rendeder and the switch: NEON simd acceleration).

28. Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2015
    Mexico
    Good to hear :) also I see you are still working on JIT for MelonDS