• Likes 278

MrNonoss

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi @Jayro,
First, like everyone else, I'd like to personnaly thank you

Next, I totally agree with @Gummybear Defender got me once, now I'm being carefull, but it would be nice if a workaround could be find.

I also would like to "push" a request:
So far, I used a custom Windows 10 PE with a special "WinFe Protect Toolkit". This tool allows the user to select whitch hard drives from the machine he would like to mount, and specify if he wants them on "read/write", or "read-only".
However, my WinPE is not very stable unlike yours.
In my opinion, it is the only feature missing to your toolkit.

What do you think about it?
Could this be implemented on a future release?
Can you figure out of something easy to settle by th end user?

Sorry to burden mate.
Again, thank you for this precious toolkit

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Zipping the apps and having them extract themselves to the TEMP folder of the RAMdisk is a great idea, as that's what Hiren's MiniXP and Mini7 did... But I don't know how to go about doing that. I can zip things of course, but I don't know what commands and stuff are needed. I will add more to the instructions in this release to let people know about disabling any real-time virus scanner and Windows Defender upon install to USB. I'll also be redoing the picture tutorial as well with the 3.x version of Rufus, and tell people to boot into Legacy mode (BIOS/CSM) for the main menu, and EFI booting for Mini Windows 10. Thanks for bringing this up, I'm curious to see if an extracting zip method would work well. And maybe a shortcut to clean the temp folder too.
If .NET 4.5 is included in the Mini Windows 10 you can use a PowerShell script: https://stackoverflow.com/questions...windows-built-in-capabiliti/26843122#26843122
Alternatively you could use 7-zip, either as a SFX (self extracting executable) with the program set to autorun after extraction or just bundling 7z.exe/7z.dll itself and using batch scripts that call it with the right parameters and run the exe.

Reactions: Jayro and MrNonoss

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
If .NET 4.5 is included in the Mini Windows 10 you can use a PowerShell script: https://stackoverflow.com/questions...windows-built-in-capabiliti/26843122#26843122
Alternatively you could use 7-zip, either as a SFX (self extracting executable) with the program set to autorun after extraction or just bundling 7z.exe/7z.dll itself and using batch scripts that call it with the right parameters and run the exe.
I like the 7zip sfx approach, it sounds the easiest by far. I might even package a few apps at a time within the WinPE environment just to make sure they work properly as I go.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm going with a "heavily TRON-inspired" theme for the next MediCat release, due out in late April.
I will be at a convention in Seattle's Convention Center between April 18th-22nd (if anyone cares) when Lubuntu drops, but I will be able to release MediCat v19.04 stable when I get home.

Main Menu.png

(All artwork made by me 100% from scratch within Photoshop's tools. Fonts used are "TR2N" and "Flynn", both freeware fonts.)

AbdallahDado

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm going with a "heavily TRON-inspired" theme for the next MediCat release, due out in late April.
I will be at a convention in Seattle's Convention Center between April 18th-22nd (if anyone cares) when Lubuntu drops, but I will be able to release MediCat v19.04 stable when I get home.

View attachment 161853

(All artwork made by me 100% from scratch within Photoshop's tools. Fonts used are "TR2N" and "Flynn", both freeware fonts.)

I cannot thank you enough ,but thank you very much in advance , I am so excited to see your new great work.

Last edited by AbdallahDado,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I cannot thank you enough ,but thank you very much in advance , I am so excited to see your new great work.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm really busting my ass to bring a good release. ^_^

Mat69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
New version of Rufus (3.5)

https://rufus.ie/

Changelog
  • Version 3.5 (2019.03.28)
    • Add a feature to download official retail Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 ISOs
      (Note: 'Check for updates' must be enabled for the above to be active)
    • Add Windows To Go support for MCT generated Windows ISOs
    • Add a notice about the WppRecorder.sys Microsoft bug for Windows 10 1809 ISOs
    • Add a notice about trying to format a drive larger than 2 TB in MBR mode
    • Add a notice about Legacy boot when trying to boot UEFI-only media in Legacy mode
    • Report the full PID and command line of potentially blocking processes in the log
    • Fix a potential silent abort when the drive is in use
    • Fix 'Quick Format' option always being activated
    • Fix potential change of the selected file system after an ISO has been loaded
    • Fix Win7 x64 EFI bootloader not being extracted in dual BIOS+UEFI mode

Reactions: Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
New version of Rufus (3.5)

https://rufus.ie/

Changelog
  • Version 3.5 (2019.03.28)
    • Add a feature to download official retail Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 ISOs
      (Note: 'Check for updates' must be enabled for the above to be active)
    • Add Windows To Go support for MCT generated Windows ISOs
    • Add a notice about the WppRecorder.sys Microsoft bug for Windows 10 1809 ISOs
    • Add a notice about trying to format a drive larger than 2 TB in MBR mode
    • Add a notice about Legacy boot when trying to boot UEFI-only media in Legacy mode
    • Report the full PID and command line of potentially blocking processes in the log
    • Fix a potential silent abort when the drive is in use
    • Fix 'Quick Format' option always being activated
    • Fix potential change of the selected file system after an ISO has been loaded
    • Fix Win7 x64 EFI bootloader not being extracted in dual BIOS+UEFI mode
Updated, thanks.

Reactions: Mat69

MajoraAKC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If I wanted to add Bit Defender Rescue CD to MediCat can I just drag and drop the .iso file into the ISO folder or do I need to do something else? Keep up the great work. Looking forward to the next release

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
If I wanted to add Bit Defender Rescue CD to MediCat can I just drag and drop the .iso file into the ISO folder or do I need to do something else? Keep up the great work. Looking forward to the next release
You do that, and then edit main_menu.cfg to add the new entry to the menu.

Reactions: MajoraAKC

MajoraAKC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Damn, that was super straight forward! Would it also work with a Windows ISO, so Windows can be installed onto the computer and YUMI isn't needed to add it separately? And can I add the ISOs to a USB already configured with Medicat?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Damn, that was super straight forward! Would it also work with a Windows ISO, so Windows can be installed onto the computer and YUMI isn't needed to add it separately? And can I add the ISOs to a USB already configured with Medicat?
It's best that MediCat isn't used in a Multiboot USB, because it breaks a lot of boot paths and PortableApps don't work right. I also recommend using a separate USB for installing Windows, since MediCat doesn't boot up via UEFI, which is how most people install it.

Reactions: MajoraAKC

MajoraAKC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It's best that MediCat isn't used in a Multiboot USB, because it breaks a lot of boot paths and PortableApps don't work right. I also recommend using a separate USB for installing Windows, since MediCat doesn't boot up via UEFI, which is how most people install it.
I see. Thanks for the response!

Demos96

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Hi!I am new to this.I downloaded this app and works like charm on x64 systems,thank you!Where can i find Medicat for x32 systems?Does it exist?:D

Sharqo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks Jayro for this ! I used to use Knoppix for that but i found HBCD that was pretty promising but I gotta admit , Medicat is way better , everything in reach and installed on a 16GB Pendrive.
That's all I asked for because I was planning to do a multi-iso bootable drive before remembering that medicat existed !

RootDooDoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Hey Jayro forgive me if this has already been asked but have you considered throwing the .iso into a .7z archive? I was able to shave a solid 5GB off doing that (had to, to bypass OneDrive 15GB file size limitation).

2019-04-29_13-53-54_clover.png

Last edited by RootDooDoo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/d9wnSq_aP-0?si=T9bdloMD2dGzvnbf