Hacking Hardware McFly - an RP2040 board compatible with Picofly

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
Unfortunately I don't have a tiny - so I can only go by the reference measurements - for reference here's the fly2040-min measurements next to the tiny's... (mine's smaller :D)

Also - I've just installed one (fly2040-min) and I can happily confirm it works perfectly.
The nice thing is that it also already has the 3 x 47 Ohm resistors, the boot button (which is also so small it doesn't have to be removed) and an optional mosfet pulldown resistor (10K). Just solder the jumper to use the pulldown.
HOW do you connect the 5v-3.3v regulator on your board in order to do fw flash

jmmc

Trophies
XP
Country
Unfortunately I don't have a tiny - so I can only go by the reference measurements - for reference here's the fly2040-min measurements next to the tiny's... (mine's smaller :D)

Also - I've just installed one (fly2040-min) and I can happily confirm it works perfectly.
The nice thing is that it also already has the 3 x 47 Ohm resistors, the boot button (which is also so small it doesn't have to be removed) and an optional mosfet pulldown resistor (10K). Just solder the jumper to use the pulldown.
Is there any website where we can order it? where is the pull-down resistor? How do you flash the firmware?

Thanks!

floxcap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
HOW do you connect the 5v-3.3v regulator on your board in order to do fw flash
I'm going to release (in the same git) a programmer board. But the intention is to use a pogo-pins clip (Search ali for something like: "1.27mm 6P PCB Clip Clamp Fixture Probe Tool Programming Download Burning PCB Debugging Inspection Tool")
For testing I just cut a USB cable and put a 3V3 regulator on a prototyping board, ran D+ & D- through, GND & 3V3 to my clip.
Post automatically merged:

I'm going to release (in the same git) a programmer board. But the intention is to use a pogo-pins clip (Search ali for something like: "1.27mm 6P PCB Clip Clamp Fixture Probe Tool Programming Download Burning PCB Debugging Inspection Tool")
For testing I just cut a USB cable and put a 3V3 regulator on a prototyping board, ran D+ & D- through, GND & 3V3 to my clip.
If you're doing quite a few of these - you only need 1 programmer set-up.
Of course also - once installed - the normal upgrade bin would be used.

Is there any website where we can order it? where is the pull-down resistor? How do you flash the firmware?

Thanks!
Programmer board coming.
It's open source - https://github.com/floxcap/fly2040/tree/main/pcb/fly2040_min
But if there's enough interest I'll look at doing a bulk order at JLCPCB which will make pricing quite reasonable - and then I'd be happy to sell.
The pull down is connected to the solder jumper (normally disabled by default) and the other side of the jumper is connected to the CPU pad.
jumper.jpg

Attachments

• prog_pins.jpg
    prog_pins.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by floxcap,
Reactions: jkyoho

ypeeLs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you're doing quite a few of these - you only need 1 programmer set-up.
Of course also - once installed - the normal upgrade bin would be used.

Programmer board coming.
It's open source - https://github.com/floxcap/fly2040/tree/main/pcb/fly2040_min
But if there's enough interest I'll look at doing a bulk order at JLCPCB which will make pricing quite reasonable - and then I'd be happy to sell.
The pull down is connected to the solder jumper (normally disabled by default) and the other side of the jumper is connected to the CPU pad.
View attachment 377303
isnt the point of the pull down resistor for the off chance that the CPU pin disconnects from the board?

floxcap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
isnt the point of the pull down resistor for the off chance that the CPU pin disconnects from the board?
Not really... There's a potential for the mosfet(s) to carry a charge when the fly is in a sleep state or powering up. The (weak) pull-down is an option to ensure the mosfet(s) gate isn't floating at those times. The alternative is to have it at the mosfet side.

Reactions: QuiTim

Kinokoda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I have a few questions:

-Will you be selling these?
-If yes, how much will a board and flex cable order from you approximately cost?
-Does the latest fly2040_min board work on the Lite?

floxcap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have a few questions:

-Will you be selling these?
-If yes, how much will a board and flex cable order from you approximately cost?
-Does the latest fly2040_min board work on the Lite?
If there's enough interest - then I'd consider it.
Tested on the lite and on V2 and working perfectly.
Currently testing if it works with the mosfet(s) on the same board which will simplify the install and reduce the cost.
I'd be looking at selling for around $6 USD (but would probably set a minimum order amount because shipping is a hassle and I'm not doing it for profit).

Reactions: Kinokoda

Kinokoda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
If there's enough interest - then I'd consider it.
Tested on the lite and on V2 and working perfectly.
Currently testing if it works with the mosfet(s) on the same board which will simplify the install and reduce the cost.
I'd be looking at selling for around $6 USD (but would probably set a minimum order amount because shipping is a hassle and I'm not doing it for profit).
Wonderful! I already found the flex cables in a shop in my country, so I won't have to import those as well. I will go order 5 of the min board then to install. Oh and one more thang, is the v2 the patched unit?(Detective Columbo Stinger)

Rapid Fire Edits: If I get the min boards for the lite, what HW_Fly CPU flex cable should I get as well? And how should I configure my order on JLC's site? Should I even get a flex cable?

Can you provide a photo with the best place to put the board on in the Lite and the solder spots?

Last edited by Kinokoda,

floxcap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wonderful! I already found the flex cables in a shop in my country, so I won't have to import those as well. I will go order 5 of the min board then to install. Oh and one more thang, is the v2 the patched unit?(Detective Columbo Stinger)

Rapid Fire Edits: If I get the min boards for the lite, what HW_Fly CPU flex cable should I get as well? And how should I configure my order on JLC's site? Should I even get a flex cable?

Can you provide a photo with the best place to put the board on in the Lite and the solder spots?
You can find everything you need for the install
here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/picofly-aio-thread.628951/
here: https://balika011.hu/switch/lite/
and here: https://gbatemp.net/download/a-definitive-picofly-install-guide.37968/

I use the V2 CPU cable at the moment - but will be testing with mosfet on the pico board soon (waiting on parts to arrive).

I personally like to install on the shield of the mmc for lite - red square in image (short data wires).
but the yellow square also works just fine.

Just be sure to insulate with kapton.

1687573976739.png

Reactions: Dee87 and Kinokoda

Kinokoda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
You can find everything you need for the install
here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/picofly-aio-thread.628951/
here: https://balika011.hu/switch/lite/
and here: https://gbatemp.net/download/a-definitive-picofly-install-guide.37968/

I use the V2 CPU cable at the moment - but will be testing with mosfet on the pico board soon (waiting on parts to arrive).

I personally like to install on the shield of the mmc for lite - red square in image (short data wires).
but the yellow square also works just fine.

Just be sure to insulate with kapton.

View attachment 379588
Thanks, you're a legend.

And now we wait...

Attachments

• image-14.png
    image-14.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited by Kinokoda,
  • Love
Reactions: floxcap

floxcap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
when should the pull down cpu resistor be used?
It's an option if not using the CPU flex (v2 etc) cable... i.e. bare mosfet(s) install. The flex cable already has resistors.
I haven't used that option (jumper) yet as I'm waiting on mosfets to test bare mosfet install.

floxcap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
the switch has a 3v3 volt rail/solder point, right? worst case scenario I use a regulator
Yes that's true.
For programming before installation I just use a regulator (pogo clip with regulator inline).
Great - just wanted to ensure you knew 😄

Kinokoda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
IMG_20230705_152315_330.jpg

It's here! What setup should i do for flashing these and how do I do so? Do I just use the same firmware that any picofly uses?

Kinokoda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Did you just buy them without doing research first?
No I have, I am just asking for confirmation. And I am not aware of any documentation specific to the fly2040
Yes I am aware of the AIO thread and the pfg v6.2. I just want to make sure that I have all my tools at hand

Last edited by Kinokoda,
Reactions: impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Castlevania uhh... whatever rhymes with Castlevania...