Hacking TA-081/TA-082 Board Connector...

torquesmackee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so, I'm not really "new" to the hard-mod scene. I know how to solder, how to research forums for help, and how to reverse look-up components on a circuit board. Granted, I've done all this without any sort of engineering background, so my knowledge about what said components do extends solely as far as my research into those specific item numbers.

This has led to a rather frustrating issue. Right now, I am performing a case mod that, while not impossible from a strictly technical standpoint, is patently improbable. I am using a PSP "Phat" 1000, and the case into which I wish to transfer the components is slightly thinner than that of the PSP.

"No problem," thought I, "as I can simply run jumper wiring to run the boards wherever I want them; they need not socket directly into the logic board." A fair assessment, given that I have done similar things to simpler electronics before; sometimes translating an entire circuit board into a morass of wires and little techy bits.

However, I have run into a certain problem. The wifi/headphone/MS Pro Duo module, as most of you know, sockets into the PSP 1000 boards as a small "daughter board." This makes the combined height of the logic board, when coupled with the wifi board, a couple of millimeters too thick to allow for the case to shut.

"No problem," thought I, once again; as I am apparently adverse to the defeatist mentality, "I'll simply look up what sort of connector it is, and find a ribbon-cable adapter that will allow me to run the wifi module somewhere else!"

Now, let me just say, that it has taken several days and copious amounts of very precise measuring to find the information that I have on this connector type; as, apparently, either no one else has ever endeavored to do this, or else this type of connector-jumping is highly irregular. I could find little to no extant information on this particular connector. However, to save some time, I have discovered the following in my trials:

1)It's a "mezzanine/stacking" style connector.
2)It's a "dual row" pin connector. UPDATE: I now believe it to be a "single row" connector, despite the existence of two distinct, separate rows of pins existent in the connector ends. See UPDATE on point "9" for clarification.
3)It has 20 pins on each side (total of 40).
4)Its pitch (the distance between centerpoints of a line of pins in a connector) is 0.5mm.
5)Its "stack height" (distance between the surface of main board to daughter board, when coupled) is, roughly, 5.556mm (keep in mind, I lack a micrometer, and my eyes are fairly bad, so I translated this information using the 1/32" side of a ruler, and an inch-to-mm converter).
6)The length of each row of pins (that is, the distance between where the first pin starts and the last pin ends) is roughly 10.3187mm.
7)The "stacking" type is parallel (as in, the "daughter" board is oriented in kind with the main board).
8)The reference number on the logic board for the connector is CN4201.
9)There's what appears to be an identification number stamped into the side of the connector on the logic board, reading either 5chcb, or schcb (once again, my eyes are not great). UPDATE: I now believe this to be a date/manufacturing facility code, based on some more research I've done recently. Still, to little avail. Further research has indicated the likelihood that the 5CHCB designation (as I now ardently believe it is) is neither a product ID, nor a date/manufacturer's code; rather, it's the description of the item in question. I believe this based on the information presented in the attached document (yes, I know it's from a different company than SONY, but it seems to me that component labeling is fairly well standardized). As you can see, following the alphanumeric coding system, the "5" would indicate pitch (in this case, 0.5mm; a supposition supported by my having physically measured this), "CH" -might- indicate a single-row type connection (though I am unsure of this), "C" would indicate the housing type, and "B"...well, I don't really have an answer for that one, as on the document, it should be a number indicating "positions." "B" could be a reference to hexadecimal (something that occurred to me while perusing the web, though I can't remember why), or it really could be a very poorly marked "8." Neither of these seem to make sense, in my opinion. If the number of pins on a connector is equivalent to the number of positions, neither "B" (11, in hexadecimal) nor 8 fulfill the requisite 40. So, what could it mean?
10) UPDATE: Connector seems to be Sony part number 1-695-301-11. Can't find much on the item, though, aside from a few sites that claim to have it in stock.

That is, in a nutshell, all I've found out, after somewhere around five days of on-and-off again research.

So, what I want to know is whether anyone out there knows of a place which sells some sort of FPC, FFC, or ribbon cable assembly, which can use these sort of "mezzanine" connectors to detach the wifi board from the logic board, and make it a satellite connection.

So, any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't know how much hope I should reasonably have concerning this, but I'm sure there are plenty of people out there with a much, MUCH better understanding of electronic components than this lone layman. If it is deemed either impossible or far too costly to do, I suppose my other option is to hack off the headphone jack (as it seems to be the most egregious offender, when it comes to stack height) and redirect it somewhere else; but I would like to go this route first, as it will, frankly, be much less physical work, and seem more professional.

Thanks in advance, guys! :)

Attachments

• 5chcb Info.pdf
    119.3 KB · Views: 266

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi: