Votes: 8 5.1%

• Total voters

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are derailing the topic completely, no one is talking about cheat codes or cheating in any way, we are talking about being competitive and how racing against a tougher opponent can be an interesting challenge and receiving a WORTHY prize after defeating them make things even better.
Sorry, I didn't realize the topic had been narrowed from "Mario Kart Discussion 8 Thread". Source? :)

Mods please feel free to delete my posts for straying outside these parameters.

Your WORTHY prize is an unfair equipment advantage over other racers. The skills you obtained playing the game should be WORTHY enough. :)

lex luthor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I didn't realize the topic had been narrowed from "Mario Kart Discussion 8 Thread". Source? :)

Mods please feel free to delete my posts for straying outside these parameters.

Your WORTHY prize is an unfair equipment advantage over other racers. The skills you obtained playing the game should be WORTHY enough. :)

Could you please explain why it is an unfair equipment advantage over other racers if other racers can achieve the same thing. The way you state things are like if I was saying "I want a cheat code to have a better cars than anyone else". If I have said that specific sentence then everything you said earlier would had been completely reasonable but I'm not saying that, the point I brought its a completely different thing that doesn't have to do with cheat codes or cheating or trolling or bullying other people.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you please explain why it is an unfair equipment advantage over other racers if other racers can achieve the same thing. The way you state things are like if I was saying "I want a cheat code to have a better cars than anyone else". If I have said that specific sentence then everything you said earlier would had been completely reasonable but I'm not saying that, the point I brought its a completely different thing.
How can they achieve the same thing if all the other racers have cars with let's say 20% more speed with all else being equal? The effect of your proposed "better" car is the same as using a cheat code. You just "earned" it through sacrifice.

I don't think you understand the concept behind a race. It is about optimizing your equipment to fit your skill set within narrowly defined parameters and then SKILL, with the emphasis on skill not the hardware. Why do you think all the cars in real races look exactly the same except for the stickers? There has to be balance in a real race, a fantasy race like MK or even Smash.

Throphies, stars and just the sheer thrill of occasionally coming in 1st is enough for me. Clearly you need more than that to stay motivated.

Sp1R1t

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Mario kart 8 is based more on luck than skill. That's how I see it. Everyone can finish 1st or last.

About the sacrifices that mentioned before, the only 'sacrifice' I can see in the game is the usage of a heavy character in order to finish in a good position even if you prefer a light one...

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
You are derailing the topic completely, no one is talking about cheat codes or cheating in any way, we are talking about being competitive and how racing against a tougher opponent can be an interesting challenge and receiving a WORTHY prize after defeating them make things even better.
I used to grind to get the 10k coins but just play normally it's not worth it and you'll eventually get it, if you play MK8 every now and then.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mario kart 8 is based more on luck than skill. That's how I see it. Everyone can finish 1st or last.

About the sacrifices that mentioned before, the only 'sacrifice' I can see in the game is the usage of a heavy character in order to finish in a good position even if you prefer a light one...
I disagree. An unskilled player is not going to come in first in an race with 10 skilled racers. The odds of that are very very small. If that were the case everyone's VR would all hover around 1000.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I disagree. An unskilled player is not going to come in first in an race with 10 skilled racers. The odds of that are very very small. If that were the case everyone's VR would all hover around 1000.
It's not too hard to stay in first place once you get the hang of it and you're lucky enough that driver 2 is the one eat up all the shit instead. Being in second place is kind of a bitch in this game.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not too hard to stay in first place once you get the hang of it and you're lucky enough that driver 2 is the one eat up all the shit instead. Being in second place is kind of a bitch in this game.
9/10 times when playing online if i do manage to get to 1st place for very long I get a blue shell within 1 lap and that is quickly followed up with 3-4 whacks and lightning usually putting me back in 10th place and I might be able to fight my way back to 7 or 8th.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
9/10 times when playing online if i do manage to get to 1st place for very long I get a blue shell within 1 lap and that is quickly followed up with 3-4 whacks and lightning usually putting me back in 10th place and I might be able to fight my way back to 7 or 8th.
Haven't come across a Blue Shell in a while but I freaking hate thunderstorms. Nintendo should remove it it's such a cheap shot at everyone else.

Sp1R1t

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Well, I am talking about average players. They can finish in a better place against a skilled player. And yeah, it's that blue mushroom and the items generally...

lex luthor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I gathered so far is that instead of being a competitive racing game MarioKart is more like a funny racing game where luck takes a heavy role. Having skills or playing the best of your abilities is a choice made by the player but instead just play normally and receive funny tokens from time to time if that's the case, not worth fighting for them. I thought it was the opposite because to win some things they demanded to finish in first place etc so I took the game seriously.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
From what I gathered so far is that instead of being a competitive racing game MarioKart is more like a funny racing game where luck takes a heavy role. Having skills or playing the best of your abilities is a choice made by the player but instead just play normally and receive funny tokens from time to time if that's the case, not worth fighting for them. I thought it was the opposite because to win some things they demanded to finish in first place etc so I took the game seriously.
Yeah, it's a mixed-bag. It's more of luck than skill most of the time unless it's that Online Tournament where you don't use items at all, then that's full-on skill.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't come across a Blue Shell in a while but I freaking hate thunderstorms. Nintendo should remove it it's such a cheap shot at everyone else.

At least they nerfed it in DS and on when they decided that players would grow back based on track placement. Up until that point it was REALLY annoying

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it's a mixed-bag. It's more of luck than skill most of the time unless it's that Online Tournament where you don't use items at all, then that's full-on skill.
Really? So when we have our 200cc matches our my win/loss ratio will be 1:1. :)?

If MK8 required little more skill than playing a slot machine I doubt it would have such a large following.

Haven't come across a Blue Shell in a while
Not Fair!

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that I'm in the Wii U Developer program, my console is fully up to date and will continue to be as I won't be able to do anymore hacking of Nintendo's consoles. Had to create a brand new NNID though as my old one is linked to my dead console and the only way to transfer it is to deal with support and have them manually do it, but I figured it was much easier to just create a new one. NNID: AspiringEngineer

I'm up for some MK8 online finally :), add me bro's and sistas! :P XD

EDIT: just pm me on here and let me know who you are (or reply to this thread and tag me) and I will accept your friend request on the Wii U. If I don't have a clue who you are I won't accept you, for I do not like SPAM/JUNK lol

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Really? So when we have our 200cc matches our my win/loss ratio will be 1:1. :)?

Especially 200cc! Pressing A and B is still a bit confusing to do in a Mario Kart game but it works fine once you get the hang of it.

Not Fair!

Heh. And if they did send one my way I'd just fall off the track and continue the race than get hit right on.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Especially 200cc! Pressing A and B is still a bit confusing to do in a Mario Kart game but it works fine once you get the hang of it.

Heh. And if they did send one my way I'd just fall off the track and continue the race than get hit right on.
B is for wimps!

I had heard falling off course avoids the blue shell but if you don't have a shroom does it really get you going faster?

Sp1R1t

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
B is for wimps!

I had heard falling off course avoids the blue shell but if you don't have a shroom does it really get you going faster?
If you have a mushroom, there is no reason to fall. You can dodge the blue shell by using the mushroom at the right time. I have seen that couple of times.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi