Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's DLC courses will still be playable online for those who don't own them

Screen_Shot_2022_02_09_at_5.38.15_PM.jpg

As announced in last week's Nintendo Direct, 48 new courses will be coming to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe through the end of 2023. Something not announced at the Direct, however, is that the courses will still be playable online, even if you haven't bought them. According to a page on Nintendo's website, the tracks from the first wave will be available in local and online private matches as long as one player owns the Booster Course Pass. Additionally, from March 22, four days after their release, the tracks will start appearing in random selection for all online matchmaking sessions. The page stipulates that players can only purchase the entire Booster Course Pass, and cannot purchase individual tracks, cups, or waves.

The eight courses coming on March 18 have also been revealed, and they are all tracks previously featured in the Mario Kart series.

Golden Dash Cup
  • Paris Promenade (Mario Kart Tour)​
  • Toad Circuit (Mario Kart 7)​
  • Choco Mountain (Mario Kart 64)​
  • Coconut Mall (Mario Kart Wii)​
Lucky Cat Cup
  • Tokyo Blur (Mario Kart Tour)
  • Shroom Ridge (Mario Kart DS)
  • Sky Garden (Mario Kart: Super Circuit)
  • Ninja Hideaway (Mario Kart Tour)
:arrow: Source

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Release on March 18 2022 that make Switch 5 years old on March 17 2017. Cant wait to play those remake tracks N64. Oops Switch was released on March 3rd

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
MK8 was always pretty fun, so seeing more content is appreciated.
Upon reading a lot of the comments, I'm shocked by a lot of misunderstandings of how the games mechanics work, or explaining that there aren't large differences between them (I grew up playing Super, and the only ones I thought were lacking were Super Circut on GBA, and DD because of lack of content).
No new characters though is kind of rough, but it may have to do with how they wrote the game engine (they could rewrite things, but we all know just how lazy Nintendo can be)

Reactions: Tsukiru

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if I want MK9, if it isn't like Double Dash again.
not being like double dash would be a major plus
Honestly i just want it to have unique track design like DS and N64 did, or at least memorable levels and setpieces like Wii
MK8 hardly has any of that, it feels like a massive misstep imo, and to top it off it's painfully easy

Reactions: Vorde

SexiestManAlive

The key that lights the dark
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the comments people would rather have new game with lesser courses over existing game getting more courses.
Yes they could have added characters but this pack is also cheaper ($60 vs $25)
thats what im saying, mk9 would be cool because wed get new character and possibly new mechanics, but we'd lose some courses and possibly characters.

SexiestManAlive

The key that lights the dark
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not being like double dash would be a major plus
Honestly i just want it to have unique track design like DS and N64 did, or at least memorable levels and setpieces like Wii
MK8 hardly has any of that, it feels like a massive misstep imo, and to top it off it's painfully easy
it needs ds tracks, gba tracks, and double dashes mechanics mixed with mk8s mechanics, that would be fucking insane.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The page stipulates that players can only purchase the entire Booster Course Pass, and cannot purchase individual tracks, cups, or waves.
I wonder why this is the case? I don't think this makes sense. Other games let you purchase the content you want without having to pay for the entire package. They did this with just about every nintendo game except smash bros, where you can buy characters and even mii costumes separate. Even if is not a $30 bundle, the individual character is still a bundle with a stage and music and spirits.

They must really not like dlc as much as some other companies do. :blink:

linkchidori

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I wonder why this is the case? I don't think this makes sense. Other games let you purchase the content you want without having to pay for the entire package. They did this with just about every nintendo game except smash bros, where you can buy characters and even mii costumes separate. Even if is not a $30 bundle, the individual character is still a bundle with a stage and music and spirits.

They must really not like dlc as much as some other companies do. :blink:
Maybe they think its not worth to sell cups individually when just for a few more bucks they can sell the whole package.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I 'm bit disappointed that they didn't took the chance of adding characters. Mario Kart Cell phone edition have many cool ones (but that game is awful).

But overall I'm very happy, as we will reach 96 tracks by 2023.

Edit: Just look how many characters the cell phone have
Pfft... That's nothing.
Datamined Mario Kart Tour has over 222 slots for Drivers.
We're currently at 120 Drivers I think.

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh hey that's actually really neat.

I don't see the need of another MK atm unless it's just to satisfy the feeling of something "new." If it works, it works (and sells well). I never got the feeling Mario Kart needed to be bold or do something different.

mspy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Mario Kart 9 can't be announced yet, not with all this going on. It's selling like hot cakes.
Wouldn't feel good to be talking about MK9 so soon.
Even if MK8 is still selling well it wouldn't even remotely compare to the potentially huge injection of money that Nintendo would get if they just released MK9 because yall know that's the way to make the millions of people who already bought MK8 to buy it again...

The most likely reason why we didn't get a MK9 is the same reason why we didn't get a 'Mario Odyssey 2' yet, and that reason is that those games are being developed with Nintendo's next system in mind, which totally makes sense not only as a selling point but also considering the bottleneck that the current Switch hardware is for the devs to introduce any new games without them being more of the same.
Maybe with luck the OG Switch gets a downgraded version.

Last edited by mspy,

Shubshub

The Shubinator
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Assuming they were working on Mario Kart 9 from basically the point of release for 8 on the Wii U (Lets be honest they were, Atleast concepting and prototypes anyway)

Even if we fast forward to the Switch release for when they would have started working on 9
That is now 5 years of development time for 9, Hopefully whenever it gets revealed/released it will be the most god damn polished Mario Kart on the entire planet

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like Mario Kart but doesn´t deserve the attention it gets. On Wii they just added tilt controls, on Wii U nothing. And then re-released the game. It has become more and more similar since DS.
The series needs bold changes, at least in optional modes:
-Diddy Kong racing´s item system
-Item usage via Wii pointer (out of the question now) or Wii Sports Resort motions
-Co-Op on one cart like in Double Dash (but it becomes more interesting with said item usage)
I do not mean replacing the press of a button with a motion, I mean actual motion impacting the angle at which items are thrown etc (e.g. a frisbee).

And if none of that is possible, at least return to the way the carts handled in Super Mario Kart: way more interesting (add hills etc since the courses on the SNES were all flat).
How about a story mode, like the original crash team racing?

Reactions: SexiestManAlive

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why the hell are we getting MK:tour course's.... it's not even a canon game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over